Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm after thoughts and opinions Gods 7-day creation. Did Moses right it as a narrative to the Israelites? Is Genesis all figurative language?

Thoughts and opinions on the controversial topic!
:)

I like to answer your questions with more details. But I need more questions.

So far, my answer to your question is: No. Gen 1-11 are not "all" figurative language. At least (very rough estimation), half of the text (may up to 90%) could be understood literally (with a lot of interpretations).

I am not sure about the length of the "day". But the sequence of the day events is perfectly understandable literally.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm after thoughts and opinions Gods 7-day creation. Did Moses right it as a narrative to the Israelites? Is Genesis all figurative language?

Thoughts and opinions on the controversial topic!
:)

Yes, life on earth was created, in six literal days and it didn't take all day to do it. The term 'figurative' has a very distinctive meaning in Biblical exposition, it is usually indicated by a 'like' or 'as' in the immediate context. As a matter of fact Genesis isn't really known for it's figurative language, it's always been understood as an historical narrative.

I don't get how there is something controversial about it, with Genesis you either believe it or you don't. What it actually says isn't really all that hard to decipher.

Reactions: Luke17:37
Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not asking in order to make my own opinion or anything, I'm just asking for different peoples opinions on the topic. It will so help me with an essay, too! :) So really the only question is "do you think God created the world in 7 literal days?"

Thanks =)

If so, we need to define what is a Day. Genesis says a Day is the time period between one morning and the next morning.

It depends on where you are in the universe and when in the universe, this time period could be varied in length.

With that said, then yes, it means a literal day.

Upvote 0

watchman333

May 20, 2012
✟7,778.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi PM, Writing an essay, huh? The good old days! No, in my opinion, each day as is 1,000 years as stated in 11Peter, chapter 3. Now, that is not to say God could'nt do it in 7 literal days. In any case, if you want to do a study on this, check out the meanings of 6 & 7 in Biblical numerics. I believe we are at the end of the 6th day, from Adam, and the 7th day will be the final, millennial day.

Upvote 0

keitellf

Child of God
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
✟7,641.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ultimately, it doesn't really matter. The purpose of the Bible is to exalt God and show His power, mercy, sacrifice, and love. The creation story in its nature is theological. It shows the power of God in everything. Day one is very cool because it says that God created light without the sun, moon, stars, etc. So it also shows that God isn't bound by human standards or laws. God is God, He is above everything. I'm actually doing a bit of research myself in this subjects as well as other theories such as gap theory (which I don't agree with by the way).

Upvote 0

jilfe

Jul 4, 2012
✟7,785.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here are some verses recorded by moses, when God Himself was speaking on this very subject.
As He was bringing forth the written law unto Israel.

Ex:20:11: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Ex:31:17: It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.
18: And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.

It is made very clear by God Himself,

I hope this is some help for your essay.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KTskater

Dec 2, 2004
✟21,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I believe that the language used to describe creation was the best it could be to suit the people that it was written by. What I mean by this is that a dense scientific explanation of how God set up the laws of physics and brought the universe and its contents into existence was not the point of Genesis 1:1-11. It's purpose was simply to show God as creator. The rest of the story about the garden was to show that man had rejected God and thus justified the Levical laws, and later on, would give explanation to the Gospel.

Was it literal language? I doubt it. Was it written in a way that served God's purposes? Most definitely.

Upvote 0
W

Willbyr

I consider the method of creation described in Genesis 1 non-literal but the ideas it embodies very true. This is because the Bible is not always utterly accurate in every scientific respect, but it is still the word of Gd and we can learn much from it. The first creation story is a beautiful poem glorifying Gd, his power, and the wonder of the world around us; this idea remains even though all the scientific evidence I've looked at points to the world being older than 6,000 - 10,000 years. Science can work with the Bible, and the concept of Gd making a massive explosion calibrated so precisely as to cause humans to form is just as amazing to me as the concept of literal creation.

Does that make sense? I'm very happy to answer questions about my beliefs that are asked in good faith.

Reactions: Rubiks
Upvote 0

Greg1234

In the beginning was El
May 14, 2010
✟11,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I consider the method of creation described in Genesis 1 non-literal but the ideas it embodies very true. This is because the Bible is not always utterly accurate in every scientific respect, but it is still the word of Gd and we can learn much from it. The first creation story is a beautiful poem glorifying Gd, his power, and the wonder of the world around us; this idea remains even though all the scientific evidence I've looked at points to the world being older than 6,000 - 10,000 years. Science can work with the Bible, and the concept of Gd making a massive explosion calibrated so precisely as to cause humans to form is just as amazing to me as the concept of literal creation.

Does that make sense? I'm very happy to answer questions about my beliefs that are asked in good faith.

Thank's for sharing. Let's remember that the directions and teachings given in the bible are to be studied and applied to self. Such activity is all too lacking or diluted in the world.

Upvote 0

ptomwebster

Jul 10, 2011
MN
Visit site
✟1,922.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not asking in order to make my own opinion or anything, I'm just asking for different peoples opinions on the topic. It will so help me with an essay, too! So really the only question is "do you think God created the world in 7 literal days?"

Thanks =)

Yes, seven 1,000 year long days.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If read honestly, without bias formed from a prior allegiance to science, the Genesis accounts of Creation are clearly intended to be understood to have occurred in 7 literal days. It is from this interpretation of the Creation account that God, through Moses, commands that the seventh day of the week be a day of holy rest. If the days of Creation were of some enormous length - perhaps billions of years in duration - then Exodus 20:8-11 makes no sense.

Selah.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If read honestly, without bias formed from a prior allegiance to science, the Genesis accounts of Creation are clearly intended to be understood to have occurred in 7 literal days. It is from this interpretation of the Creation account that God, through Moses, commands that the seventh day of the week be a day of holy rest. If the days of Creation were of some enormous length - perhaps billions of years in duration - then Exodus 20:8-11 makes no sense.
Selah.

Did you look at the John Walton talks I referred to above?

John
NZ

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2010
✟8,672.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I could be wrong, but I tend to think that this “non-literal” view of Genesis 1, is a pretty new theory brought about by modern day science. I would doubt that the “non-literal” view was even considered as a possible theory among Christians before the days of Darwin.

Many modern day Christians have changed from “In the beginning God” to “In the beginning science” in order to attempt to make the two compatible, and to avoid being laughed at by the scoffers.

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Partaker wrote:
I could be wrong, but I tend to think that this “non-literal” view of Genesis 1, is a pretty new theory brought about by modern day science.

You are.

I would doubt that the “non-literal” view was even considered as a possible theory among Christians before the days of Darwin.

Then you clearly haven't read much from St. Augustine, Origen, and other early Christians who wrote about a non-literal reading of Genesis. No early Christians wrote about questioning the morality of having slaves, but some did write about non-literal readings of Genesis.

Papias

Upvote 0