Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Yahoo News
Pew Research

Exit polls found that the Democrats’ gains in the 2006 midterm election were concentrated among non-Christians and secular voters . . . Among those who attend church a few times a year, for instance, 60% voted Democratic, compared with 50% in 2002. And among those who never go to church, 67% voted Democratic; four years ago, only 55% did so . . .

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pew/20070417/ts_pew/67nonchurchgoersvotedemocratic;_ylt=AuusEEmpauFe26UHTsdW

I think it is to be expected considering Republicans lately seem to campaighn to mainly a religious audience, and they noticably lack conservative credentials.

It generally turns non-church going people of all political persuasions elsewhere.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yahoo News
Pew Research

Exit polls found that the Democrats’ gains in the 2006 midterm election were concentrated among non-Christians and secular voters . . . Among those who attend church a few times a year, for instance, 60% voted Democratic, compared with 50% in 2002. And among those who never go to church, 67% voted Democratic; four years ago, only 55% did so . . .

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pew/20070417/ts_pew/67nonchurchgoersvotedemocratic;_ylt=AuusEEmpauFe26UHTsdW
I'm really sick of comparisons like these. I don't appreciate smug, self-righteous political operatives trying to tell me (through innuendo) that atheists vote Democratic and that the Republican party is the "party of God". Enough of this garbage.

I'm a Christian, and I'm a Democrat. The two are not mutually exclusive. I have nothing to explain to you or to anybody else. I vote my values, and I'm proud to call myself a Democrat - despite some people's best efforts to guilt me by calling me, through innuendo, a bad Christian and a bad American.

How many times are we going to have to say that neither God nor Christianity itself is Republican or Democrat before people stop playing these grade-school games with faith and politics?
Ringo

Upvote 0

KomissarSteve

Basileus
Feb 1, 2007
✟25,945.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think it is to be expected considering Republicans lately seem to campaighn to mainly a religious audience, and they noticably lack conservative credentials.

It generally turns non-church going people of all political persuasions elsewhere.

Indeed; should it be any surprise that non-Christians flock more towards the party whose ideology is considerably less-punctuated by Christian fundamentalism?

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is because the Republicans are changing their basis and siding with the extreme Baptists and such. I really do not agree with that. Though I am a Christian I do not feel that there should be Christian law or Christian rule in America by any means.

I am a Republican for fiscal and legal reasons which I feel is fulfilled by the Party.

Religion and politics should be separate lest both corrupt the other.

Upvote 0

The Nihilist

Contributor
Sep 14, 2006
✟16,289.00
Faith
Atheist
I'm really sick of comparisons like these. I don't appreciate smug, self-righteous political operatives trying to tell me (through innuendo) that atheists vote Democratic and that the Republican party is the "party of God". Enough of this garbage.

I'm a Christian, and I'm a Democrat. The two are not mutually exclusive. I have nothing to explain to you or to anybody else. I vote my values, and I'm proud to call myself a Democrat - despite some people's best efforts to guilt me by calling me, through innuendo, a bad Christian and a bad American.

How many times are we going to have to say that neither God nor Christianity itself is Republican or Democrat before people stop playing these grade-school games with faith and politics?
Ringo

But don't you know about the homosexual communist liberal nazi agenda wants to extract christianity from America, through the use of such insidious tools as the judiciary?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It is because the Republicans are changing their basis and siding with the extreme Baptists and such . . .

Oddly enough, that has been the historic Baptist position. From their alliance with Jefferson to fight New England Federalist to Baptist Klan members fighting Catholicism, most Baptists, until recently, have been for separation.

And how do you separate church and state? If you get your political ideology from Karl Marx, that is OK but if you get it from the Sermon on the Mount that is not?

Who is advocating the "Christian law or Christian rule in America" you speak of?

No one I know.

There was a movement at the time of the founding and until the end of the 19th century to spell out in the constitution that America is a Christian country. Didn't happen then and there is no drive for it to occur now. It's a straw man. One the People for the American way use to solicit funds and Democrats use to scare uninformed voters.

Btw...there was also a drive at the end of the 19th century to pass a constitutional amendment for a separation of church and state. "Ethical" societies and "progressives" pushed that idea, They failed of course (which makes you wonder about them as they now insist the phrase is a basic principle of American government. If so, why did "progressives" try to put it in the constitution over 100 years after the constitution was ratified?)

Upvote 0

RacismIsBad

Mar 17, 2007
✟3,260.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Ringo
What happens now is denial. Despite the fact that there is an implication to paint Democrats as the party of the "un-Godly," the people that make this insinuations will act surprised because they weren't implying anything, they were just posting a news article. It's very sad I must say.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oddly enough, that has been the historic Baptist position. From their alliance with Jefferson to fight New England Federalist to Baptist Klan members fighting Catholicism, most Baptists, until recently, have been for separation.

And how do you separate church and state? If you get your political ideology from Karl Marx, that is OK but if you get it from the Sermon on the Mount that is not?

Who is advocating the "Christian law or Christian rule in America" you speak of?

No one I know.

There was a movement at the time of the founding and until the end of the 19th century to spell out in the constitution that America is a Christian country. Didn't happen then and there is no drive for it to occur now. It's a straw man. One the People for the American way use to solicit funds and Democrats use to scare uninformed voters.

Btw...there was also a drive at the end of the 19th century to pass a constitutional amendment for a separation of church and state. "Ethical" societies and "progressives" pushed that idea, They failed of course (which makes you wonder about them as they now insist the phrase is a basic principle of American government. If so, why did "progressives" try to put it in the constitution over 100 years after the constitution was ratified?)

The Baptist view of church/state separation has nothing to do with anti-Catholicism. The Baptists who were around at the founding of our country were a minority, and as a minority, they understood better than anyone else the dangers of what happens when the majority is allowed to speak for everyone. Thus, the Baptists advocated separation of church and state, which gave everyone equal footing.

And how do you separate church and state?

By not having the government endorse one religion or a set of reliigous beliefs over others - a principle our founders believed in enough to put it in the Constitution.

If you get your political ideology from Karl Marx, that is OK

I'm getting tired of your labeling of everything as "Marxism" and "Communism". Every time you do it, I'm convinced you don't really know what you're talking about, so you throw in a "Marxism" straw-man to make yourself sound knowledgable.

if you get it from the Sermon on the Mount that is not?

The biggest misconception of all is the belief that separation of church and state means separation of personal faith.

No one I know.

Who are you talking about, because there is a long list of fundamentalists I know that are constantly whining about church/state issues and how much better it would be if this nation "returned to Godly principles". Pat Robertson acts as though he'd prefer a Christian theocracy where belief in God is required than a democracy where religion is left to the individual conscience. None of the fundamentalists know what they're talking about.

How many times have we heard endless proclamations of our country as a "Christian nation" and how much better it would be if Christian principles were used in government? You may call that "Christians being involved in goverment", but I call it trying to remake America into a theocracy.

(which makes you wonder about them as they now insist the phrase is a basic principle of American government. If so, why did "progressives" try to put it in the constitution over 100 years after the constitution was ratified?)

I wasn't aware that there ever was an amendment for church/state separation, but it's unnecessary. The separation of church and state is as much a basic principle of our government as free speech. Without freedom of religion through church/state separation you would not have the United States of America.
Ringo

Reactions: TuxThePenguin
Upvote 0

KomissarSteve

Basileus
Feb 1, 2007
✟25,945.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Ideology is one thing; rhetoric is quite another.

No one I know.

What you advocate is a slippery slope.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobfromSales

Apr 22, 2007
Central Texas
✟15,161.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

I agree. There's nothing wrong with voting according to religious principles. What's wrong is creating public policies endorsing particular religions and so on.

Upvote 0

SallyNow

Blame it on the SOCK GNOMES!
May 14, 2004
Canada
✟18,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From an outside perspective (so feel free to totally disregard it asit's not American :p ) it looks like the Republicans are really going after conservative Christian voters while disregarind the concerns of other voters, thereby alienating moderate Christians, liberal Christians, conservative Christians who are politicall moderate right along with non-Christian voters.

Reactions: SimplyMe
Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Certain aspects of politics can be traced back to Christian thought and Christian ideas, nominally respect for Kings and a notably apolitical stance on most things, leaving to Caesar what is Caesars and leaving the choices up to the government.

Later you can trace respect for property rights to Christian beliefs...

I think there is no real political stance to be found in Christianity.

Traditionally living in the decadent Roman society, it is hard to say that they would support government crackdowns or rule by moral law when their origins were spent suffering government crackdown and never was Christian ideals ever a part of a greater moral law (law in the legal sense).

Upvote 0