• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Status
Not open for further replies.

QUannie

Jun 22, 2007
✟7,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Everyone!!! I have not been here in a long time!!!
Grace and Peace to you all!!

I read about 5-HTP on the forum a while back and did some research on it,{hahahha i know some of you know exactly what i am talking about!!} I started taking it about 2 months ago and it is helping me. I also started taking L-Tyrosine for the nervous system...{both of these are amino acids, a natural remedy} I am not against medicine at all, but I wanted to go the natural way first, and by God's goodness it is helping!!! Plus i do not have insurance so...well, i will say no more!!
I just wanted to share my info...5-HTP is an amino acid that is a precurser to the seratonin in the brain.....
well,
Good to be back,
Q:kiss:

BeccaLynn

Jul 22, 2007
✟8,030.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't have insurance either, and the other anti-depressant medications I have tried have had, what I feel are, very bad side effects. How expensive is what you are using? I get concerned because I know herbs can interact with over-the-counter medicines (I take one quite often for sinus/allergies). I've also heard/seen advertisements for herbs like, "This product is the real thing. Don't be tricked by the other guys". Which company(ies) produces the products you are using? I also read your other post about the book, but then, when I went back to reread it, I couldn't pull up what you had written for some reason. Maybe I did something strange to my computer or something. I was curious about the book. I too have struggled with salvation, and I have ever since I can remember. I've never had peace about it, and reading something that scares me has never seemed to help. This book that you mentioned (could you tell me the name again?), is it something that made you panic because of what it said? I've tried reading books that have made me so fearful, hoping for a change in me, but it has only seemed to feed the fear that I'm not truly a Christian. How is this book different? I've tried to deal with issues I feel are wrong in my heart, but I just seem to get all caught up in it without a real change. I hope to hear your response soon, and thanks for your encouraging post.

Rebecca

Upvote 0

QUannie

Jun 22, 2007
✟7,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey Rebecca,
I get my 5-HTP from Puritans Pride. Right now the other L-Tyrosine I am using is from GNC but my next one will also come from Puritans Pride. GNC also sells 5-HTP. Make sure you check with a Doctor or Pharmisist on mixing meds even natural remedy. As far as my other post....I started thinking about what I wrote and I know exactley what your talking about getting so scared about what you read that I did not want to scare anyone and that is why I erased it. I will put the name of the pamhplet back up.....just remeber, our feeling are deceptive......it is by faith..{belief and trust in Jesus} that you are saved, not how you feel!!! I still read stuff and I get that scared panic like someone just hit my stomach......trust Jesus, not your feelings!!!
God bless you,
Q

Upvote 0

Bianca01

Jan 10, 2007
✟15,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi QUannie,

I am so glad this is working for you. I tried 5-HTP once and it kept me up all night and I felt awful the next day. Maybe I should stick with it longer.

Did you experience any negative short-term side effects? How many mg. are you taking of the 5-HTP and how much of the L-Tyrosine? How long until you noticed improvement?

Thank you

Upvote 0

QUannie

Jun 22, 2007
✟7,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now that i think of it, at night sometimes i am tired and kind of "done"
like, ok this day needs to be over kind of thing....maybe this is a side effect? Not sure, I will need to keep an eye on that. It could be I am just really ready for my day to be done ,but not dealing with all the spinning constantly from the OCD I never noticed it before! Maybe thats how it is supposed to be!!!

Q

Upvote 0

kalb

Jan 11, 2008
✟15,112.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hi QUannie, BeccaLynn, and Bianca01, :wave:

I usually steer away from sites that sell products that they are promoting. However, my daughter is preparing to take 50 mg 5HTP at night and 250 mg tyrosine in the morning to help her stop an SSRI for OCD. The information here encourages minimal dosage and gives comprehensive information about side effects. I HOPE THE FOLLOWING HELPS SOMEONE.
I quote...
"5HTP Dosage
Some studies have used 5HTP dosages of 300 mg a day for depression, but we consider any 5HTP dose above 50 mg or 100 mg a high dose. Most 5HTP products on the market are sold in 50 and 100 mg capsules. Some people do well with 20 to 50 mg, while others may temporarily require 100 mg or more. We are not aware of 5HTP products on the market that are less than 50 mg. Those who do well with small dosages can open a capsule and take a portion mixed with water. 5HTP is best absorbed on an empty stomach." MY DAUGHTER READ IT IS BEST TO HAVE A CARBOHYDRATE LIKE CRACKERS ON YOUR STOMACH. "Medical supervision is recommended if high doses of 5HTP are required to treat a particular condition. We don't recommend the routine use of daily intake doses greater than 100 mg since there's the possibility of nausea or nightmares. Also, we still don't know if there are any long term side effects if people take high doses for many years."
MY SON TAKES 100MG 5HTP prescribed by his doctor BECAUSE HIS NIGHT SHIFT HAS CAUSED LOW SEROTONIN READINGS, BUT HE TAKES REGULAR BREAKS from it and has not experienced SIDE EFFECTS.
I quote....
"5HTP and tyrosine
Tyrosine is an amino acid that helps elevate mood. If you plan to use tyrosine and 5 HTP together, we suggest the maximum dose of tyrosine not to exceed 250 mg, and the maximum dose of 5HTP not to exceed 50 mg." Praying for all of us. Saved by faith...Trusting in Jesus. :groupray: K

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.