Not open for further replies.

shturt678s

Dec 11, 2013
✟10,797.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
We've been there Jack! The "temple" contains the "sanctuary". Within the temple is the "holy place" and the most "holy place".

Remember also that I'm old and slow on the uptake thus help me grasp: The "temple" ~ 'contains' the "sanctuary". Within the temple = 'is' the "holy place" and the most "holy place." The "sanctuary" is either in the "Temple" or is = to the Sanctuary, ie, cannot be both or can it? :confused:

One of us is in error, and bragging rights that I'm one of a very few of a few that is refutable thus cannot wait to be refuted. :blush: Is or isnt'? ;)

You have to kind of think about these things. Peter calls us "living stones" therefore, he does mean temple. I have your point. My contention is it is interchangeably used. When naos is translated I din't think it's a problem because the sanctuary is in the naos.

Paul's example in Ephesians 2:20-22 will also make the point:
20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone,
21 in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord,
22 in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit.

I contend that it is interchangeably used because again...the temple (naos), houses the sanctuary (hagios).

Show me error in processing the first point then I can concede, and move forward with my sometimers, or is it allstimers, hmmmm.....^_^

Old Jack :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
According to a Prophecy friend who has a Min.div degree says it will be built in April.
So what will you think of this "Prophecy friend" when he is wrong? There will be no temple built in April...and you can put that down!

The more important point is what does the scripture say of the temple after Christ died? That would be Matthew 27:51:
51 And behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth shook and the rocks were split.

This sign indicated that God no longer required the temple for sacrifice! It also indicated there was no need for the high priest to enter the "holy of holies" anymore on the "Day of Atonement", because Jesus' sacrifice of Himself for sin ended that requirement under the Old Covenant.

Jesus became our High Priest, as Hebrews 9:11-14:
11 But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things to come, He entered through the greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this creation;
12 and not through the blood of goats and calves, but through His own blood, He entered the holy place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption.
13 For if the blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkling those who have been defiled sanctify for the cleansing of the flesh,
14 how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

So even if a temple is built it means nothing except that the Jews are still in unbelief when it comes to Jesus as their messiah! These are the things those who think a 3rd temple is anything. God sacrificed Jesus as the fulfillment of EVERY OT feast and sacrifice.

As the New Covenant made the Old Covenant obsolete there is no need for a temple, because God's temple becomes all believers. You cannot find the temple in the NT being anything (after Christ died and was raised).

On Pentecost the apostles were there for one purpose...to announce the New Covenant to all those Jews who were there. The apostles DID NOT go to the temple for any reason except to preach the gospel at Jerusalem first, just as Christ told them.

From there references to the temple is the church as we are consistently told by Paul and Peter!

Paul made the point on Mars Hill in Acts 17:24-29:
24 The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands;
25 nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to all people life and breath and all things;
26 and He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation,
27 that they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us;
28 for in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, ‘For we also are His children.’
29 Being then the children of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man.

1 Corinthians 3:16:
16 Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?

1 Corinthians 6:19
Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?

Ephesians 2:19-22
19 So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God’s household,
20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone,
21 in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord,
22 in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit.

1 Peter 2:4, 5
4 And coming to Him as to a living stone which has been rejected by men, but is choice and precious in the sight of God,
5 you also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

The church is the temple...and God will not go back to sacrifice! Those who think He will are erroneously equating Ezekiel 40-48 as a 3rd temple, and what Ezekiel is doing is an allegorical prophecy and we can find it in Revelation 21.

Paul once again makes this point in Romans 12:1 as he teaches we are the sacrifices to God now:
Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.

*If* a temple is built...God won't be there!

Upvote 0

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Remember also that I'm old and slow on the uptake thus help me grasp: The "temple" ~ 'contains' the "sanctuary". Within the temple = 'is' the "holy place" and the most "holy place." The "sanctuary" is either in the "Temple" or is = to the Sanctuary, ie, cannot be both or can it? :confused:

One of us is in error, and bragging rights that I'm one of a very few of a few that is refutable thus cannot wait to be refuted. :blush: Is or isnt'? ;)
I will start with Jesus...in John 2:19:
19 Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”

Jesus is at the temple (naos), and has not and will not enter the sanctuary because He is not yet made the sacrifice to become our High Priest. Jesus is not a Levite, and therefore honors the Law. He will not enter the holy place, nor the most holy place.

Jesus knows exactly what He is saying when He says "destroy this temple", because it HOUSES the sanctuary. He Himself is a temple because as he said many times "I am in the Father and the Father is in me." :thumbsup:

Show me error in processing the first point then I can concede, and move forward with my sometimers, or is it allstimers, hmmmm.....^_^

Old Jack :thumbsup:
I think I've done that above...as believers we are not each a temple "naos"...we are COLLECTIVELY a temple (naos) that houses the sanctuary (hagios) as Christ indwells us all.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.