Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
well i had asked this question some other time.i believe you can help. Jesus did die for three days. were the three days symbolic. well i do here that a day in the Bible represents like 70 yrs although on the figure am not very sure.

the three days are not symbolic, rather, it has to do with the time it takes a cadaver to start decaying, which is about after three days.

Psalms 16:10(NKJV)
10For You will not leave my soul in Sheol, Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption.

and, it goes to fulfilling scripture.

Upvote 0

Simonline

The Inquisitor
Aug 8, 2002
North West England
Visit site
✟13,927.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
well i had asked this question some other time.i believe you can help. Jesus did die for three days. were the three days symbolic. well i do here that a day in the Bible represents like 70 yrs although on the figure am not very sure.

No. They were three days of 24 hours duration [Thursday, Friday and Saturday of the Passion Week].

The reference to a day being like a thousand years (2Pet.3:3-18) has to do with the coming of the Day of the Lord i.e. the end of this present age and the time of God's judgement (Jn.5:22-23). Many were saying that because the Day of the Lord had not already come that it was not coming at all and therefore there was nothing about which we need worry but Peter warns us not to be so foolish or complacent and to realize that the delay in the coming of the Day of the Lord was an act of gracious forebearance on God's part in that He is giving the world the maximum amount of time possible for them to repent and come to a living faith in God and His Messiah and so be saved from the wrath to come. Sadly, in many cases God's forebearance is having the opposite effect and is causing men's sinful hearts to become ever more hard and calloused against the truth thus ensuring their everlasting damnation.

It is crucial that any and all references to 'days' are read in context and that it be clearly understood that the length of 'days' are not always 'fluid' but are determined by the context in which the term is used.

Simonline

Upvote 0

beforHim

Apologetical
May 18, 2015
Near Austin, TX
✟19,124.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Simonline said:
No. They were three days of 24 hours duration [Thursday, Friday and Saturday of the Passion Week].

I'm not sure which day Jesus did die (to my knowledge, the Bible scholars, pastors, theologians, historians, etc. seem split between Thurs and Fri), but doesn't Jesus died sometime right before evening (it was dark from 3-6 pm, and then soon after this he croaked), and doesn't it say that the women came in the morning on the day after the sabbath? if I've got my scriptures straight here, that would not equal exactly 3 24 hour periods, right? I mean, let's say he croaked Thur at 6:30
Thur 6:30
(24)
Fri 6:30
(24)
Sat 6:30
(<24)
Sun (let's say) 9:00

That's two 24 hour periods, and one period less than 24 hours, right? If I've gotten anything above wrong, if I'm inaccurate, just point it out. I want to have all my facts straight. :)

Also: were does the user got 1 day equaling 70 years from? 1 day = 1000 years, yes 2Pt. But 1 day = 70 years? is that from Daniel? 70 weeks and all that stuff (which I'm not too terribly familiar with) is maybe we're it's being gotten from.

Upvote 0

Simonline

The Inquisitor
Aug 8, 2002
North West England
Visit site
✟13,927.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure which day Jesus did die (to my knowledge, the Bible scholars, pastors, theologians, historians, etc. seem split between Thurs and Fri), but doesn't Jesus died sometime right before evening (it was dark from 3-6 pm, and then soon after this he croaked), and doesn't it say that the women came in the morning on the day after the sabbath? if I've got my scriptures straight here, that would not equal exactly 3 24 hour periods, right? I mean, let's say he croaked Thur at 6:30
Thur 6:30
(24)
Fri 6:30
(24)
Sat 6:30
(<24)
Sun (let's say) 9:00

That's two 24 hour periods, and one period less than 24 hours, right? If I've gotten anything above wrong, if I'm inaccurate, just point it out. I want to have all my facts straight. :)

Also: were does the user got 1 day equaling 70 years from? 1 day = 1000 years, yes 2Pt. But 1 day = 70 years? is that from Daniel? 70 weeks and all that stuff (which I'm not too terribly familiar with) is maybe we're it's being gotten from.

Firstly, the Messiah was crucified on the Thursday because the Jewish religious leaders were unhappy about people being crucified over the Feast of Unleaven Bread/Passover so the religious leadership wanted the crucifixions over and done with before the Feast of Unleaven Bread/Passover started (this is why the Romans broke the legs of the two malefactors on either side of the Messiah instead of leaving them to suffer a slow and painful death as was their custom with people they didn't like).

Secondly, from the Roman perspective, the hours of the day were counted from sunrise (approximately 6am) and the darkness came between the third hour (i.e. 9am) and the 6th hour (i.e. 12 noon). It was at the end of the darkness that the Messiah gave up His spirit and died. Since the resurrection took place some time during the morning of the first day (three days after the Messiah had been crucified on the fifth day of the week (only the Gentiles name their days of the week according to their gods)) then the Messiah was dead for three days and three nights. The Messiah died at lunchtime on Thursday and was resurrected by lunch time Sunday - three days and three nights as the Scriptures declare.

Thirdly, a 'day' doesn't equal a thousand years at all. The Scriptures declare that with God a day is like a thousand years but this is in the context of His forbearance in not yet bringing to pass the great and terrible Day of the LORD when God will put a stop to the kingdoms of men and replace them all with the absolute Kingdom of our God and of His Messiah (2Peter.3)...and then the Day of reckoning begins (Lk.19:27).

I believe the reference to a day being equal to 70 years is just a wild guess with no basis in Scripture?

Simonline.

Upvote 0

Aijalon

Sayin' it like it is
Jun 4, 2012
✟17,356.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It was actually Friday that Christ was crucified.... Hence the holiday "Good Friday". He died on a Friday (noonish), remained in the grave on the Sabbath day (Saturday) and rose very early in the morning on the first day of the week (after sunset on Saturday -- Jewish Lunar Calendar days begin after sunset).

Jesus said he would rise "on the third day". It doesn't mean he was to be dead for three full days, because as we see it was just barely a day and a half.

Upvote 0

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Sabbath was not just the seventh day of the week (Saturday). It was also identified as the first and last day of Passover, irregardless of what day of the week they fell on that year. This has caused confusion, especially after the Christians separated from their Jewish forebears following the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD.

It is believed by some, including myself, that in the year in which Jesus Christ was crucified the first day of Passover was on the sixth day (Friday). That made it a Sabbath day, in which all the laws that pertained to a seventh-day Sabbath also pertained to it.

So Jesus trial would have taken place sometime after 6:00 AM on Thursday morning. He would then have been taken to Calvary, where he was crucified at about 9:00 AM. The sky turned dark at 12:00 PM, and remained that way for three hours, until 3:00 PM. At that time Jesus said, "It is finished," and then died.

This gave those who wanted his body entombed by sundown three hours to get it done. Joseph of Arimathea went to Pilate and obtained permission to take Jesus' body down from the cross. He then purchased whatever cloth he could obtain quickly, and took it to the site of the crucifixion.

He then took Jesus' body down from the cross, wrapped it in the cloth, and carried it to his own nearby tomb. Since it was getting close to sundown, the women did a 'hurry up' job with the spices they had, and then they sealed his tomb. Following this, they immediately went to their homes so that they would not violate the Sabbath laws, which were equally enforceable for the first day of Passover.

This put Jesus in the ground for three days. He died and was buried on Thursday before sundown, and according to Jewish custom 'a day' meant any portion of that day, not 24 hours. He remained in the tomb through that night (the special Sabbath) and the following day, the next night (the seventh-day Sabbath) and the following day, and that night (the beginning of the new week). He arose on the first day of the week, having accomplished for us what we could not accomplish for ourselves, namely, the atoning sacrifice necessary for our salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums