23rd of September 2017 start of the tribulation? Today?

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Why does it matter what date the tribulation starts on? No one knows when Jesus will return, and there is no promise in Scripture that we will know any specific date relating to the end.

There has been no revelation of the Anti-Christ (whether or not he is alive in the world today -- if he is, he has not revealed himself to anyone.)

All this looking at the end and wondering when it will be is taking people's focus off of Jesus Christ and the gospel.

Upvote 0

Andrew4jesus

Apr 25, 2017
Banbury
✟24,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why does it matter what date the tribulation starts on? No one knows when Jesus will return, and there is no promise in Scripture that we will know any specific date relating to the end.

There has been no revelation of the Anti-Christ (whether or not he is alive in the world today -- if he is, he has not revealed himself to anyone.)

All this looking at the end and wondering when it will be is taking people's focus off of Jesus Christ and the gospel.
Were we not told to watch for signs by Jesus ?

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
All so called 'experts' who know the true meaning of Revelations! They are two a penny! Plenty on these forums!

Just concentrate on Jesus. Remember, He came, He conquered! He gave us a way to enter Heaven! He came to save sinners. Ignore end time predictions and Revelation 'experts' who claim to hear from God that the end is nigh!

God bless everyone

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
could this date be the start of the tribulations?
Wow have seen a lot on today being something significant.

Have seen "end of the world" also "rapture" and some just strongly implying today would be another "significant sign."

This all started about two years ago with the blood moons.
I inquired with one Messianic I know and he believes the multiple blood moons helped his community and others determine the proper calendar which was lost after 70 AD and the temple destruction. What the 23rd and the stars mean even he is scratching his head why so many picked this date as something significant.

So the rock called Earth keeps spinning today.

What did Jesus tell us to do until He comes for us? Preach the Gospel and make disciples.

So the mission continues the clock still running. Let's get to work.

• Agree
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are a lot of theories as to what this thing means. There are many who take it seriously and many who don't. I personally find it to be a significant sign even after watching many debunking videos as well as several forum threads here and elsewhere. Some say it's the rapture, some that it relates to Israel. Personally I think it simply begins the later half of Revelation 12. There are several events that need to happen in the later half of Revelation 12, it's not just 1 thing on one day. For example, before the woman gets wings to flee the dragon goes after her. That hasn't happened yet, and for that to happen the man of lawlessness must be revealed.

I have taken the last month for introspection on my life in regards to the rapture. Even if nothing happens I count my study over this and my life a blessing. I have also spent the last month watching how Christians react to this on many forums, and I am more than a bit disturbed about the Christian response. It seems that we are all to be watchmen on the walls, however we have created a system of shame such that we must either be mute watchmen, or uselessly vague. Everyone agrees we need watchman, but no one wants them to come to their house. Others get angry over the idea that they might be losing their house. And some of course mock the watchman as if the whole idea of Jesus actually coming is foolish. It has surely been a learning experience watching how Christians have responded over the internet and youtube.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Were we not told to watch for signs by Jesus ?
I think that you have passages like Matthew 24 in mind? Let's look some select passages from Matthew 24. I encourage you to read all of verses 24:3-25:13 so that you can view it all in context.

Matthew 24:4-5 (NASB)
And Jesus answered and said to them, "See to it that no one misleads you. "For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will mislead many.

My comments here:
The first thing Jesus says in response is to warn us against people misleading us. That tells me deception will be quite high at the very end times. This is again emphasized later.

Then, in verse 6-8:
"You will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not frightened, for those things must take place, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes. But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs.

My comments:
Ever since Jesus ascended into heaven, there have been wars and rumors of wars all over the world. It continues to this day. Current events don't necessarily mean that the world is about to end, although each day does move closer to the end. However, it sounds like what Jesus is speaking of here is more on the terms of a world war, although he could still be talking in general. There are occasionally earthquakes and famines throughout the world. I don't know that there has been an increase in them -- and if there has, it has been gradual, and over time.

Verse 9-10:
"Then they will deliver you to tribulation, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all the nations because of My name. At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another.

My comments:
While there is clearly persecution of Christians and Jews in some parts of the world, this is not a worldwide phenomena. In other words, I don't think things are bad enough for Christians all over the world for these verses to apply. Now, maybe Jesus did only mean in select countries -- but still, most countries in the world are not opposed to Christianity. There would need to be a change in how people all around the world viewed Christians and Christianity for this to really make a lot of sense, so I don't think things have gotten to this point in the world yet.

Verses 11-14:
"Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many. Because lawlessness is increased, most people's love will grow cold. But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved. This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come.

My comments:
There have been false prophets, and there are many false prophets in today's world. There is also a lot of people whose love has grown cold, and who practices lawlessness. This may be something that has been going on gradually for hundreds of years. We are moving in this direction, yes. We are moving closer to the end. Here, though, Jesus emphasizes the the the gospel will be preached as a testimony to all the nations. There are Christians all over the world. So, this portion might fit in today's world, but no one knows when the end will actually come. I still say that there are pieces that have not quite fallen into place yet.

Verse 15:
"Therefore when you see the abomination of desolation which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand), .....

My comment:
This has clearly not happened yet unless it is referring to only the destruction of the second temple, which some people argue. I think it could be a reference to both that and the Anti-Christ during the end times. Since the Anti-Christ has not revealed himself, this does not apply to us yet...in terms of the end.

Skipping down to verse 21:
"For then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will. Unless those days had been cut short, no life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short.

My comment:
This clearly has not happened yet. Perhaps you think this may start today. Well, we will see. If Jesus is speaking about these things chronologically, then it sounds like the Anti-Christ will have to reveal himself first. Unless the Anti-Christ reveals himself to the world today, then I don't think this will start today.

Verse 23-24
"Then if anyone says to you, 'Behold, here is stage Christ,' or 'There He is,' do not believe him. For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will show great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect.

My comments:
Some of this has been happening over the centuries and decades. It sounds like it will continue, and even grow worse until Jesus returns. This means that false Christs and false prophets are a sign that the end is coming. There have been false prophets in recent years who have shown great signs and wonders, and that some people have been deceived by this. So...we are heading in this direction. I don't think that we have seen things as bad as they will get, though.

Skipping down to verse 27:
"For just as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so will the coming of the Son of Man be.

Then Jesus goes on to describe what His return will be like. But He cannot return until the other things described happen first.

Verse 32:
"Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near; so, you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door.

My comment:
If we use the analogy of the fig tree and summer coming, I think we are either still in winter (maybe late winter) or very, very early spring. I don't think we are seeing the leaves of the trees yet. Yes, each day gets closer, but I think it is still some time off.

Now, if you see an Anti-Christ emerge, then we'll know we are really close to the end. I'm sure that plenty of people living during the Middle Ages, during World War I, and World War II thought that the world would end very soon. Yet, it didn't. We are still here, and the end has not come yet.

There will be an end one day, and Christ definitely will return. I don't think it's today.

Nevertheless, what Jesus says in the rest of chapter 24 and 25 suggests that we should be ready for His return at any time. That means that we should always be prepared for His return. If He were to return today, then we need to live like He is coming back today.

Upvote 0

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
There are a lot of theories as to what this thing means. There are many who take it seriously and many who don't. I personally find it to be a significant sign even after watching many debunking videos as well as several forum threads here and elsewhere. Some say it's the rapture, some that it relates to Israel. Personally I think it simply begins the later half of Revelation 12. There are several events that need to happen in the later half of Revelation 12, it's not just 1 thing on one day. For example, before the woman gets wings to flee the dragon goes after her. That hasn't happened yet, and for that to happen the man of lawlessness must be revealed.
I've always thought that the woman referenced in Revelation 12 was Mary, and that the child was Jesus, and that the dragon was Satan. If so, then the description in Revelation 12 is allegory for what has already happened -- Jesus coming into the world the first time.

If so, then the dragon already went after her when Herod ordered that all those babies born near Bethlehem would be killed.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
We can quote reams of scripture all day long but if you look at USA right now you will see the division has already started. Today is the start of the tribulation.

We have been divided before: Loyalists versus the American Revolution, slave owners versus abolitionists (yeah, we actually had a Civil War,) Civil Rights protestors and Anti-Vietnam War protesters versus the Establishment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
We can quote reams of scripture all day long but if you look at USA right now you will see the division has already started. Today is the start of the tribulation.
Then you are using current events over Scripture to decide when the end is likely to take place.

The Bible and the end times are not centered on the USA. I am an American, and I like my country, but I do not see the Bible or biblical prophecy revolving around my country.

What kind of division do you mean? I'm assuming that you mean Trump supporters vs. non Trump supporters. Trump isn't mentioned in the Bible unless he is the Anti-Christ or one of the false prophets in the Bible.

Okay, if today is the start of the tribulation, where is the Anti-Christ?

Upvote 0

Andrew4jesus

Apr 25, 2017
Banbury
✟24,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Then you are using current events over Scripture to decide when the end is likely to take place.

The Bible and the end times are not centered on the USA. I am an American, and I like my country, but I do not see the Bible or biblical prophecy revolving around my country.

What kind of division do you mean? I'm assuming that you mean Trump supporters vs. non Trump supporters. Trump isn't mentioned in the Bible unless he is the Anti-Christ or one of the false prophets in the Bible.

The anti-Christ is Islam he has been stalking Christianity for hundreds of years

Upvote 0

Andrew4jesus

Apr 25, 2017
Banbury
✟24,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I'm looking at what Jesus told us would happen at the end of days.

Upvote 0