Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting unto* the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness." (2Pet 3:11-13 KJV) *The KJV translators added the word "unto". It is not in the Greek.

"All these, then, being dissolved, what kind of persons ought you to be in holy behaviors and pious acts, waiting for and hurrying the coming of the Day of God, by which the heavens, being on fire, will be dissolved, and the elements will melt with burning heat? And we wait for new heavens and a new earth according to His promise, in which righteousness dwells;" (2Pet 3:11-13 Literal Standard Version)

"Since the whole universe is to dissolve in this way, think what sort of people you ought to be, what devout and dedicated lives you should live! Look forward to the coming of the day of God, and work to hasten it on; that day will set the heavens ablaze until they fall apart, and will melt the elements in flames. Relying on his promise we look forward to new heavens and a new earth, in which justice will be established." (2Pet 3:11-13 Revised English Bible)

The BDAG defines the Greek σπεύδω speudo here in 2 Pet. 3:12 as follows:

"to cause someth. to happen or come into being by exercising special effort, hasten, trans. (POxy 121, 12 [III A.D.] σπεῦσον τοῦτο.—Sir 36:7 καιρόν) or strive for (Od. 19, 137; Pind., P. 3, 61f [109f ] βίον ἀθάνατον; Hdt. 1, 38; Thu. 5, 16, 1, also Is 16:5 δικαιοσύνην) τὶ someth. τὴν παρουσίαν τῆς τοῦ θεοῦ ἡμέρας 2 Pt 3:12 (s. Mayor, comm. ad loc.).—B. 971."

The word is found 6 times in the NT: Luke 2:16, 19:5, 6; Acts 20:16, 22:18 and here in 2 Peter. Comparing those passages it would seem that the RV and ASV rendering of the word as "earnestly desiring" misses the point in 2 Pet. 3:12. The translators note in the NET2 on this reads:

"tn Or possibly, “striving for,” but the meaning “hasten” for σπουδάζω (spoudazō) is normative in Jewish apocalyptic literature (in which the coming of the Messiah/the end is anticipated). Such a hastening is not an arm-twisting of the divine volition, but a response by believers that has been decreed by God."

I do not see how an a-mil or pre-mil can fit that idea of "hasting unto the coming of the day of God" into their system. I can see it as the reign of Christ with his saints on earth 'building the kingdom' by the power of the gospel of Christ, not the corrupted 'social gospel'. I hold to a post-mil theory of eschatology, so I find this phrase compatible with my cautiously held theory. How does an a-mil or a pre-mil make that phrase fit their theory?

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
Notice the question mark here and in the second translation you provide. The third translation, and
many other popular translations omit the question mark and make it a statement, as if Christians are
supposed to hasten the coming of the Lord. This contradicts the point that he is trying to make in
the passage completely.

2 Peter 3:
knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts,
4 and saying, Where is the promise of His coming?
9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is
longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
2 Peter 3:11 & 12.
Peter's Ultimatum
NKJV

11 Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you
to be in holy conduct and godliness,

12 looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the
heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat?
The question being proposed then is this:
Do Christians hasten the day of God by living holy and godly lives,
or by failing to do so?
Particularly, in light of Peter's own conclusions:

2 Peter 3:
14 Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace,
without spot and blameless;
15 and consider the longsuffering of our Lord salvation

Are Christians supposed to "hasten the day"?

Peter's concern is directed towards this question, should we desire to see the second coming,
or seek to continue in the longsuffering of God toward the world, for the salvation of others.

Amos 5:18. Woe to you who desire the day of the Lord!
For what good is the day of the Lord to you?
It will be darkness, and not light.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I do not see how an a-mil or pre-mil can fit that idea of "hasting unto the coming of the day of God" into their system. I can see it as the reign of Christ with his saints on earth 'building the kingdom' by the power of the gospel of Christ, not the corrupted 'social gospel'. I hold to a post-mil theory of eschatology, so I find this phrase compatible with my cautiously held theory. How does an a-mil or a pre-mil make that phrase fit their theory?
I'm an Amillennial and wouldn't change my theology based on one very unusual verse. Really when I read the whole chapter, I find that v. 12 is consistent with the author's train of thought:

2Pe 3:3-4 First of all, understand that in the last days, scoffers will come . . . saying, “Where is this promise of His coming? Ever since the fathers died, everything goes on just as it has from the beginning of creation.”

So, the purpose of the chapter is to answer scoffers regarding the return of Christ. Here the answer goes:

v. 5-8 Everything is created by the word of God and according to His timing.

v. 9-10 The Lord is being patient toward you—not wanting anyone to perish, but for all to come to repentance before the final cataclysm.

v. 11-12 If you mind your own behavior, live in holiness and godliness, you will be hastening the the coming of the day of God.

I pray, "Your Kingdom come," and offer thanks to the Lord for His patience.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting unto* the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness." (2Pet 3:11-13 KJV) *The KJV translators added the word "unto". It is not in the Greek.

"All these, then, being dissolved, what kind of persons ought you to be in holy behaviors and pious acts, waiting for and hurrying the coming of the Day of God, by which the heavens, being on fire, will be dissolved, and the elements will melt with burning heat? And we wait for new heavens and a new earth according to His promise, in which righteousness dwells;" (2Pet 3:11-13 Literal Standard Version)

"Since the whole universe is to dissolve in this way, think what sort of people you ought to be, what devout and dedicated lives you should live! Look forward to the coming of the day of God, and work to hasten it on; that day will set the heavens ablaze until they fall apart, and will melt the elements in flames. Relying on his promise we look forward to new heavens and a new earth, in which justice will be established." (2Pet 3:11-13 Revised English Bible)

"to cause someth. to happen or come into being by exercising special effort, hasten, trans. (POxy 121, 12 [III A.D.] σπεῦσον τοῦτο.—Sir 36:7 καιρόν) or strive for (Od. 19, 137; Pind., P. 3, 61f [109f ] βίον ἀθάνατον; Hdt. 1, 38; Thu. 5, 16, 1, also Is 16:5 δικαιοσύνην) τὶ someth. τὴν παρουσίαν τῆς τοῦ θεοῦ ἡμέρας 2 Pt 3:12 (s. Mayor, comm. ad loc.).—B. 971."

The word is found 6 times in the NT: Luke 2:16, 19:5, 6; Acts 20:16, 22:18 and here in 2 Peter. Comparing those passages it would seem that the RV and ASV rendering of the word as "earnestly desiring" misses the point in 2 Pet. 3:12. The translators note in the NET2 on this reads:

"tn Or possibly, “striving for,” but the meaning “hasten” for σπουδάζω (spoudazō) is normative in Jewish apocalyptic literature (in which the coming of the Messiah/the end is anticipated). Such a hastening is not an arm-twisting of the divine volition, but a response by believers that has been decreed by God."

The Greek word meaning is " be diligent " in other words, stay the course, put on the armor of God, keep on the narrow road etc. Such descriptors are used to convey a similar warning to which all Christians should adhere to. Be blessed.

Upvote 0

A.ModerateOne

Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2018
Florida
✟33,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm an Amillennial and wouldn't change my theology based on one very unusual verse. Really when I read the whole chapter, I find that v. 12 is consistent with the author's train of thought:

2Pe 3:3-4 First of all, understand that in the last days, scoffers will come . . . saying, “Where is this promise of His coming? Ever since the fathers died, everything goes on just as it has from the beginning of creation.”

So, the purpose of the chapter is to answer scoffers regarding the return of Christ. Here the answer goes:

v. 5-8 Everything is created by the word of God and according to His timing.

v. 9-10 The Lord is being patient toward you—not wanting anyone to perish, but for all to come to repentance before the final cataclysm.

v. 11-12 If you mind your own behavior, live in holiness and godliness, you will be hastening the the coming of the day of God.

I pray, "Your Kingdom come," and offer thanks to the Lord for His patience.

Andrew, it looks like you pray the model prayer from Luke:

"And he said to them, “When you pray, say: “Father, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come." (Luke 11:2 RSV)

As a post-mil, I pray the model as recorded in Matthew. :)

"Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, On earth as it is in heaven." (Matt 6:10 RSV)

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Andrew, it looks like you pray the model prayer from Luke:

"And he said to them, “When you pray, say: “Father, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come." (Luke 11:2 RSV)

As a post-mil, I pray the model as recorded in Matthew. :)

"Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, On earth as it is in heaven." (Matt 6:10 RSV)
In the Lord's Prayer, we combine them actually :).

But it is interesting to think that God may not have a fixed date for the Day of the Lord and that He may be waiting out of compassion for us. Is this taught anywhere else?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A.ModerateOne

Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2018
Florida
✟33,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In the Lord's Prayer, we combine them actually :).

But it is interesting to think that God may not have a fixed date for the Day of the Lord and that He may be waiting out of compassion for us. Is this taught anywhere else?

A statement by Paul comes to mind -
"Do you suppose, O man, that when you judge those who do such things and yet do them yourself, you will escape the judgment of God? Or do you presume upon the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience? Do you not know that God’s kindness is meant to lead you to repentance? But by your hard and impenitent heart you are storing up wrath for yourself on the day of wrath when God’s righteous judgment will be revealed." (Rom 2:3-5 RSV)

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Peter's Message is actually very simple. I don't get why some folks want to make it hard when it's not.

What kind of examples of past events did Peter show before he brought up the subject of the "day of the Lord" and God's consuming fire? Peter covered events of God having destroyed previous world earth ages, using waters of a flood. And this present world earth age also is reserved for destruction, but by God's consuming fire this next time.

So how should those in Christ who know these things coming upon the earth, how should we act in regard to it? Should we just go on about our business, daily routine, or what? We are to keep it in mind, and understand the difference between this present world, which is temporary, compared to the world to come under Christ Jesus. We are not to get too involved in this present world and forget what's coming with God ending it in our future. Our Trust and Faith should be upon our Heavenly Father and His Son instead. And in the meantime while being patient, we might help prepare others in The Gospel too.

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Well, firstly, you cannot isolate that verse like you did when Peter made it plain what 'day' he was speaking of, which refers to a whole lot more Scripture details...

2 Peter 3:10-12
10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,

12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
KJV

Zechariah 14 which shows Christ's 2nd coming on that "day of the Lord" reveals the earth is not 'literally' destroyed. Nor do other Old Testament passages show that about that day. So it's easy to tell someone who hasn't done their homework in study of The Old Testament Books, as they most often think the 2 Peter 3 Scripture means the ultimate destruction of the earth as a planet, when it's actually about the destruction of man's works and this present world time.

Not understanding about the heavens passing away is in a similar vein. Because many do not understand how God in His Garden of Eden could exist on this material earth per Genesis 2, they don't understand how He created a separation of dimensions by removing His tree of life and His Eden from this present world earth age. That's why they don't understand the heavens passing away is simply about God joining this earthly dimension and the heavenly dimension back together like it originally was, as shown with His Garden of Eden and His River flowing out of it per Genesis 2. (that will surely mind boggle many, but without understanding that, what the world to come will be like won't be understood.

Upvote 0