2 harlots before salomo. why were they not killed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Because the story also has an allegorical/prophetic/moral teaching, as St. Gregory the Great, would probably tell us:

Whoever looks into this text without understanding the spirit of sacred discourse will not so much instruct himself with knowledge as confuse himself with ambiguity, because sometimes the words of the literal text contradict each other. But when they disagree and oppose each other, they send the reader in pursuit of true understanding. How is it, for example, that Solomon says, "Better to eat and drink," and shortly after adds, "Better to go to the house of grief than to the house of feasting"? Why does he prefer grief to feasting here when just before he had praised eating and drinking? For if by choice it is good to eat and drink, clearly it would be better to hasten to a house full of rejoicing than to a house full of lamentation. This is why he says again, "Rejoice, young man, in your adolescence," and a little later adds, "Adolescence and pleasure are empty and vain." Why does he either first suggest reprehensible things or later reprehend what he has suggested, if not because he uses the words of the literal sense to suggest that whoever experiences difficulty with the surface should look to the inner meaning of truth to follow?

To seek this understanding of truth we need humility of heart: to find it, diligent reading. We see the faces of strangers and know nothing of their hearts, but if we converse with them, we discover their minds in their ordinary conversation. So when we find only the surface story in scripture, we see nothing but the face; but if we cling to this, we can reach its mind as if in ordinary conversation. We gather various impressions from various directions, but we can readily recognize in scripture's words that it says one thing, but suggests another meaning. If we are tied to the surface meaning, we will not be admitted to true knowledge of scripture.
As for what would that be... I'll let you offer your interpretation first. :)

icxn

Upvote 0

bluemarkus

Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
somewhere on google maps
✟17,853.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
hey :)

there definitely is a layer to this story that i couldn´t touch on my read-through of first kings that i just am about to do.

i will put the Q this way:

now i hope we all agree that the mosaic law sees death penalty as the only answer for
heavy moral transgressions. (there is enough scripture backing this up in leviticus, exodus, numbers and deut. i think) why then was something like prostitution tolerated in times of salomon(und therefore also in times of david, it seems).
these women were prostitutes and appeared before a king instead of hiding !
or should i take the story not literal and allegorical ? but kings1 says that the people heard about this judgement and feared him therefore. so it had to be literal...

weird.....

i´d love to hear from anyone who has an answer....

greetings in christ

MB

Upvote 0

bluemarkus

Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
somewhere on google maps
✟17,853.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
dear chunkofcoal

I´m fed up !! :sigh:

it´s so unfair to be a non jew !!
there´s so many passages that are so much easier to understand
when one is used to hebrew....

but i´m only 24, i´ll get there :)

thank you so much. now the story of rahab also makes more sense !

greetings in christ

MB

Upvote 0

JohnStevenson

Jul 20, 2003
Hollywood, Florida
Visit site
✟7,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I tend to take the view that the harlots were harlots. The Bible tells real stories about real people and does not try to whitewash their sins.

Why were they not put to death? Because Solomon would have had to put himself to death in light of his own breaking of the law. Things admittedly got a bit lax in his day, even to the point where he ended up going in and worshiping false gods.

Upvote 0

chunkofcoal

Messianic Christian
Sep 30, 2004
✟83,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
bluemarkus said:
dear chunkofcoal

I´m fed up !! :sigh:

it´s so unfair to be a non jew !!
there´s so many passages that are so much easier to understand
when one is used to hebrew....

but i´m only 24, i´ll get there :)

thank you so much. now the story of rahab also makes more sense !

greetings in christ

MB

Hi MB,
I'm not Jewish either; Messianics can be Gentile, Jewish or a combination of both. :)
Some Bibles have notes in them about alternative meanings to the words and that is where I found that "harlot" can also mean "innkeeper".
But the folks in the Messianic Judaism forum do ponder the Hebrew and Hebraisms and sometimes what we discover gives new, richer meaning to the words; for example someone recently shared something they found about the names of God - under the thread title "Titles and Contexts". You might enjoy reading it.
Peace.

Upvote 0

bluemarkus

Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
somewhere on google maps
✟17,853.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
hey :)

sorry guys that i am such a directive poster sometimes...
but i just speak my mind, you know....
you read thru the pentateuch, and allthe way moses goes....
don´t do it
don´t do it
don´t do it
no really... don´t do it !
DONT !!!!!!!!!!!

and then you read such things....

may god give me patience and meekness

greetings

MB

Upvote 0

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
bluemarkus said:
hello people

the mosaic law clearly says that harlotry and adultary and any form of prostitution has to be extinguished. why then does king salomon not apply the law and let the 2 women be killed who are harlots (1 kings 3:16 ff)

greetings

MB

Matt 23:23 woe ynto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have ommitted the weightier matters of the law, judgement, mercy, and faith: these ought to be done, and not to leave the other undone.

widows and orphans zach 2:7-9

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bluemarkus

Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
somewhere on google maps
✟17,853.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
the pharisees insisted on a strict keeping of the mosaic law plus additional teachings that suited them and kept them in charge. this was later in the inter-testament-time. IMHO this is a different thing here.

also the passage you have quoted in zachariah doesn´t make sense to me in that situation.

if you read through samuel, kings, chronicles, there are so many murderings, blood feuds etc. this were tough times. the angel of the lord slew 185 thousand assyrians on one day.
probably some of them were good men, although of a pagan nation.

and you call me a pharisee ? :o

i am still too legalistic sometimes compared to what christ will mold me into, but we are not talking about atime of grace here, they were under the law.

greetings

MB

Upvote 0

bluemarkus

Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
somewhere on google maps
✟17,853.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
by the way, do you think these latter days, compared to former centuries, are we more in danger of abusing grace or being too legalistic ?
and is loving justice legalism ?

what about revelations 3:19+20 (just in case you are a dispensationalist)

greetings in christ

MB

pS: http://www.cmf.org.uk/ethics/content.asp?context=article&id=1336

Upvote 0

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
bluemarkus said:
the pharisees insisted on a strict keeping of the mosaic law plus additional teachings that suited them and kept them in charge. this was later in the inter-testament-time. IMHO this is a different thing here.

also the passage you have quoted in zachariah doesn´t make sense to me in that situation.

if you read through samuel, kings, chronicles, there are so many murderings, blood feuds etc. this were tough times. the angel of the lord slew 185 thousand assyrians on one day.
probably some of them were good men, although of a pagan nation.

and you call me a pharisee ? :o

i am still too legalistic sometimes compared to what christ will mold me into, but we are not talking about atime of grace here, they were under the law.

greetings

MB

from exodus 19 till Jesus Christ died since he fulfill the Law.....

this the the dispensation of Law.

Upvote 0

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A Brother In Christ said:
Matt 23:23 woe ynto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have ommitted the weightier matters of the law, judgement, mercy, and faith: these ought to be done, and not to leave the other undone.

widows and orphans zach 2:7-9

i did not call you a pharisee

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.