Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This was my daily scripture from the Verse of the Day from Youversion App.

I read it and, while it's certainly poetically pretty, I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around what it fully means.

Thoughts?

"For godly grief produces a repetence that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death."

Last edited:

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This was my daily scripture from you the Verse of the Day from Youversion App.

I read it and, while it's certainly poetically pretty, I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around what it full means.

Thoughts?

"For godly grief produces a repetence that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death."

The meaning is "grief for the things of the world" brings death. The Corinthians had repented with grief for the things they had done and that grief produced a "holy sorrow". That sorrow was not sensed in a worldly manner the way a person might grieve a business transaction gone bad. Grieving for "the things of the world" is a human sorrow. Dwelling on human sorrow to the neglect of godly sorrow leads to death. It's as if to say "taking your eyes off the prize".

• Informative
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In greater context:

Even if I caused you sorrow by my letter, I do not regret it. Though I did regret it—I see that my letter hurt you, but only for a little while— yet now I am happy, not because you were made sorry, but because your sorrow led you to repentance. For you became sorrowful as God intended and so were not harmed in any way by us.

Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.

See what this godly sorrow has produced in you: what earnestness, what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what alarm, what longing, what concern, what readiness to see justice done.

The difference is in what engenders Godly sorrow, and then what Godly sorrow produces.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The meaning is "grief for the things of the world" brings death. The Corinthians had repented with grief for the things they had done and that grief produced a "holy sorrow". That sorrow was not sensed in a worldly manner the way a person might grieve a business transaction gone bad. Grieving for "the things of the world" is a human sorrow. Dwelling on human sorrow to the neglect of godly sorrow leads to death. It's as if to say "taking your eyes off the prize".

Thank you, that does make more sense. I'll have to keep pondering it.

Reactions: HTacianas
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret = when someone realizes that they missed the (biblical) mark and sincerely works towards fixing it, it will always be worth it.

whereas worldly grief produces death = when someone pursues the things of the world it will distance them from God.

Here's how I got there: (Derived from the Greek)

Godly sorrow = mourning/grief that comes through God. This doesn't mean God makes us feel bad, it means it comes through understanding of His nature and word, His standard. Meaning we feel genuine remorse that we missed it... not just upset because we "got caught"

produces repentance = produces a change in behavior that turns to God. Repentance is more than admitting we made a mistake, it is actively working at fixing it.

leads to salvation = progress towards God. Salvation here means "sum of the benefits and blessings of God". This begins with eternal salvation, but continues on with Godly behavior and the blessings & fruit that follow obedience. Once we turn to God, now we begin to walk towards Him.

without regret = it is worth it.

Worldly sorrow = grief that comes from man, or worldly affairs, the aggregate of things earthly such as: earthly goods, riches, advantages & pleasures. In other words the sorrow that comes from not having these things, losing them, or just pursuing them...

Produces death = separation. Separation from God in this context.

Upvote 0