$2.50 per Gallon Gasoline, Energy Independence and Jobs!

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's killing me to watch the Republican candidates point fingers at the President and blame him for gasoline and oil prices. Oil prices are down almost 3% since Friday and gasoline prices are down about 2% (both measured using the spot prices). So, for those Republicans, doesn't it stand to reason that it's time to thank Obama for taking care of oil/gas prices for us since almost as soon as the GOP blamed him for the rise, they began to fall?

I don't believe the President has much to do with gas prices. I think there are certain policies that would highly influence them (eg, starting war with Iran would almost certainly raise oil prices as it would cause a major disruption in trade), but I don't see the President doing much to influence oil prices either direction right now. It can't simply be blame on a lack of drilling either as oil prices declined from $114/bbl down to $74/bbl just last year. It's not as if his policies or philosophy have changed that I'm aware. And such a thing can hardly be explained by a lack of a Keystone XL pipeline either.

And I hardly believe that Newt (or anyone for that matter) knows which policies to implement to get gas prices to $2.5/gal. I don't think Newt can forecast gas prices at all anyway.

Upvote 0