100 things to do in Scotland before you die!

but'n'ben

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset
Feb 24, 2004
✟1,638.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Buttermilk said:
When you give us our stone back :p

Oh sorry we managed to get that back didn't we :p

Legend has it that the monks in charge of the stone knew it was going to be stolen so they swapped it with a fake. The original is still hidden somwhere and the English crowned their kings on a lump of old rock.

When Edward III (I think :/ ) made peace with the Scots he offered to return it and they said just to keep it.

Strange... but nevertheless amusing if it's true!

Upvote 0

Andy Broadley

quam pulchra es amica mea quam pulchra
Oct 14, 2004
Grimsby. England
✟542,543.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
A few more to add to the list, apart from the goalposts that is.

1. Watch the video of Gazza's superb goal in the world cup game.
2. Look in an atlas, and try to find Moldova.
3. Think of your graetest musical export, then die of shame when you remember that it was the Bay City Rollers.

Upvote 0

Kehaar

You're all I ever needed.
Mar 20, 2004
Scotland
✟23,455.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Andy Broadley said:
A few more to add to the list, apart from the goalposts that is.

1. Watch the video of Gazza's superb goal in the world cup game.
2. Look in an atlas, and try to find Moldova.
3. Think of your graetest musical export, then die of shame when you remember that it was the Bay City Rollers.

www.dictionary.com :p

Bye bye baby, baby Goodbye!

Upvote 0

ScottishJohn

Contributor
Feb 3, 2005
Glasgow
✟16,690.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
but'n'ben said:
Legend has it that the monks in charge of the stone knew it was going to be stolen so they swapped it with a fake. The original is still hidden somwhere and the English crowned their kings on a lump of old rock.

When Edward III (I think :/ ) made peace with the Scots he offered to return it and they said just to keep it.

Strange... but nevertheless amusing if it's true!

Many sources state that the original stone came from a meteor and was black in colour, no the sandy grey colour we see in the current fake? Possibly supports this theory.

Just on a tangent, my dad's scoutmaster was one of those involved in the pinch, and another member of the gang has a very odd looking yacht in Ardfern Marina.

Upvote 0

but'n'ben

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset
Feb 24, 2004
✟1,638.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Andy Broadley said:
Think of your graetest musical export, then die of shame when you remember that it was the Bay City Rollers

And then think of everything that Scotland and it's people have done for the world and think 'who cares about how bad we are at sport or music?

Would you rather win a world cup at rugby (by the skill of one man) or invent TV, telephone, radar, penicillin, cholroform's anaesthetic properties, economics, chemical bonds, the decimal point, the telegraph, the kelvin scale, the steam engine, some of the greatest novels ever written (Jekyll and Hyde, Pater Pan, Sherlock Holmes, Walter Scott's novels, Kidnapped) not to mention Auld Reekie inspired Frankenstein and Ebeneezer Scrooge....need I continue?

Incidenatally, if you don't believe me about Scrooge-there's a man buried in greyfriars's kirkyard in Edinburgh by the name of Ebeneezer Scroggie. Underneath his name his headstone says 'Meal Man'-as in oatmeal trader. Dickens was a bit creeped out in Greyfriars (understandably) and fled after misreading the grave to say 'ebeneezer scrooge mean man'.

Oh yeah, and it was a Scottish king who translated the popular version of the Bible still used today.

Upvote 0