100+ killed in Iran as two 'terrorist' explosions at event marking anniversary of General Qasem Soleimani’s death

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
At least 70 people were killed and dozens injured Wednesday in two blasts that struck the central Iranian city of Kerman, emergency services said. Thousands of mourners had gathered there to commemorate the fourth anniversary of the assassination of Maj. Gen. Qasem Soleimani, an Iranian military leader who was killed in a U.S. strike in Iraq in 2020.

A spokesman for the country’s emergency department was quoted by Iran’s state-run news agency as saying 73 people were killed and 170 were injured.

The deputy governor of Kerman, the slain general’s hometown, said the incident was a “terrorist attack,”

There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

[Not explicitly stated, but I get the sense that these were bombs planted at the scene (as opposed to falling from the sky)]

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
[Not explicitly stated, but I get the sense that these were bombs planted at the scene (as opposed to falling from the sky)]

The New York Times agrees with your guess: "Iranian officials told state media that a pair of bombs placed in bags along the road toward the cemetery in Kerman, Iran, had exploded as a procession of people was on its way there to commemorate the four-year anniversary of General Suleimani’s assassination by the United States. The officials said the bags appeared to have been detonated via remote control, leaving bodies in pieces on the ground."

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Israel, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, the Taliban/Afghanistan, internal dissidents, false flag, etc. Iran has lots of enemies.

I doubt Israel as they typically target leaders for assasination (as we saw in Beruit this week). Road side bombing is not their MO.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My guess a terrorist group is attempting to trigger a war between Iran and Israel/US. NYT is quoting unnamed sources suggesting the Ayatollah Khamenei is exercising a more cautious response:

The deputy Parliament head, Mojataba Zolnouri, said that it was “clear from the style of the attacks that it is the Zionist regime,” and that “the Islamic Republic holds the right to response, but will determine the time, date and place of revenge itself.”

The two people familiar with Iran’s internal discussions said that Ayatollah Khamenei has been more cautious, instructing military commanders to pursue “strategic patience” and avoid getting Iran into a direct military confrontation with the United States at all costs. The people said he had ordered the military to limit retaliation to covert operations against Israel or proxy militia attacks on U.S. bases in Syria and Iraq.

Although terrorist attacks in Iran are rare, they are not unheard-of.
In 2017, the Islamic State launched twin attacks in Tehran, killing 12 people in strikes on Parliament and the mausoleum of Ayatollah Khomeini. In August and October of 2022, Islamic State gunmen raided a religious shrine in the city of Shiraz, opening fire on people praying and killing dozens.

The explosions on Wednesday came four years to the week after the American drone strike killed General Suleimani, the longtime commander of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps’ powerful Quds Force, at Baghdad airport.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I doubt Israel as they typically target leaders for assasination (as we saw in Beruit this week). Road side bombing is not their MO.
I agree, probably not - I was more commenting on the use of the US government as a source for what Mossad is (or isn't) up to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums