1 Timothy 2:12

Michaelismyname

Jun 11, 2012
✟1,230.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
haha versesvsvices now imo your being some what cheeky .

my reply was no riddle .
you see while a person may respect or diregard the written word of God ,which records also the spoken words of Jesus, - the reason it makes no difference is that -a person stance does not CHANGE the word .
this is important to realize because the Lord Jesus said - "The one who rejects me and does not receive my words has something to judge him: The word that I have spoken will judge him on the last day,...John 12:48 "

and this also is no riddle but plain and easily understood ..

the lord Jesus awaits you placing your trust in him and believing in him .
it would be wonderful if you do so .
he is life and all that is Good.

If the words were merely a story book -they would have no positive effectual out working in my life .
eg :- I read Alice in wonderland - effect on my life in change of nature and character = zero . why ? because its just a story for amusement. (amuse -from the latin to anti muse - to not think . Which is the purpose of amusement .)

but the bible is more like (to be childishly simplistic ) a cook book . i make the choice to believe that which it instructs .-As proof that i believe it , i then follow those instructions and i get the promised results .

perhaps - i hope - you will one day stop discussing the book and instead apply it, so that you also may receive the promised result .
--------------------------------------
no cryptic meanings were applied in this post ...;)

Upvote 0

versesvsvices

Aug 12, 2012
California
Visit site
✟15,258.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
haha versesvsvices now imo your being some what cheeky .
If I am, it's not intentional.

you see while a person may respect or diregard the written word of God ,which records also the spoken words of Jesus, - the reason it makes no difference is that -a person stance does not CHANGE the word .
That argument could be used by both believers and non-believers. While a person may respect or disregard the Bible, it makes no difference--a person's stance doesn't make it any more or less real.

Upvote 0

dollarsbill

Jan 17, 2012
✟7,746.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Disliking the Bible is only the same as disliking God if you believe the Bible is the word of God. Not everyone believes that, and I am believing it less and less.
And that's your belief. The Bible is God's Word. Israel lives to prove it.

Upvote 0

Michaelismyname

Jun 11, 2012
✟1,230.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
If I am, it's not intentional.

That argument could be used by both believers and non-believers. While a person may respect or disregard the Bible, it makes no difference--a person's stance doesn't make it any more or less real.

It could be ... but im not arguing lol.

just reminding you what we believe and that if you did too
and placed your faith in the lord Jesus then you will not perish but have everlasting life .
please do :)

Upvote 0

thegospel4all

Aug 10, 2012
✟15,166.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well said Versesvsvices. We should be challenged to know what we believe and why. I've read through many of your questions and responses to you on this thread and agree that folks have been gracious and informative.

I don't want angry words or fruitless conversations and would ask if you would please go back and read or re-read my original post to you.

We can be cordial to one another, or not, we can be witty, "cheeky" with clever tuns of clever phrases and you may ask the deepest of probing questions into what The Bible says and what following Jesus Christ is all about....

But it should always and will always come back to your eternal soul and your standing before God.

He is The One who gave His utmost for your soul to be saved from a very real hell, so that you will be with The One, who sacrificed all for you to be with Him in a very real heaven.

We should all remember this, "When I stand before God, what answer will I give for the life that I lived?"

I pray The Lord will open your spiritual eyes to see how He loves you.

You will be in my prayers.

Upvote 0

Michaelismyname

Jun 11, 2012
✟1,230.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Thank you, thegospel4all. I did obey your request and re-read your original post.
When I stand before God, I feel good about how things will go down.

:) yay my turn to challenge you back -:)

re
When I stand before God, I feel good about how things will go down.

what do you base this confidence on ?

Upvote 0

versesvsvices

Aug 12, 2012
California
Visit site
✟15,258.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Haha, I'm glad you're having fun, Michael. <3

I don't like The Bible. I haven't read the whole thing yet, but, so far, I really just don't like it. (Well, except that I think Jesus was a funny guy.) We both know it was written by a bunch of humans--humans who can say "God said this! Really, guys!" all they want. But I don't believe God would discriminate against women, would threaten people with hell over their haircut, or would encourage the condemnation of His children after he made them to love people of the same gender (if you'll excuse my flippant examples; I don't have the time or inclination to make a full and cited list of problems I have with The Bible). I have faith in a benevolent God, faith that comes from my heart rather than from a man-made text.

I do my best to do the right thing at all times. Not because I've been promised heaven or been threatened with hell, but because right is right.

If the god that exists would prefer I follow a textbook rather than my heart, and compromise my own integrity, then it's not worth eternal life for me.

So far, people have been very willing to give me answers to my questions, and I appreciate it very much. I can see how difficult it is to talk to someone who doesn't believe that The Bible is the word of God, and you'll have to excuse my cheekiness here, but you all are doing a pretty bad job at it. xD I don't mean to be a stinker, I just mean that everyone's giving me Bible quotes as though they're proof in the Christian version of God. It's the circular logic of it--"The Bible is the word of God because The Bible says it's the word of God."

I know many people here feel that Christianity is the true religion because they feel they've been personally touched. That's cool, I get that. I feel that you should always keep in mind, though, that members of every religion feel "touched" in the same way by their version of God, and that their convictions are equally as strong. And you can't all be right.

As it stands, I feel in my heart that The Bible is not the word of God. Perhaps I feel it as strongly as you feel that it is. Honestly, if I didn't live in a country where Christianity was the most popular religion, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Just like you probably haven't given a second thought to Buddhism because you don't live in a Buddhist society.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

versesvsvices

Aug 12, 2012
California
Visit site
✟15,258.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
That's kind of my point, Michael. You know it is, I know it isn't, Ali knows that Islam is God's will, Motoko knows that Buddha's teachings are the path to nirvana. Every believer believes they are right.

I honestly don't know what my point is though. xD

I think my point is that communicating with a non-believer isn't as simple as saying "I'm right because I know I'm right, and The Bible is true because The Bible says it's true." I don't expect this line of conversation between us to actually go anywhere, but I did want to get that point across. In order to get through to a non-believer, you have to find ways to take things to another level.

Upvote 0

Michaelismyname

Jun 11, 2012
✟1,230.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
That's kind of my point, Michael. You know it is, I know it isn't, Ali knows that Islam is God's will, Motoko knows that Buddha's teachings are the path to nirvana. Every believer believes they are right.

I honestly don't know what my point is though. xD

I think my point is that communicating with a non-believer isn't as simple as saying "I'm right because I know I'm right, and The Bible is true because The Bible says it's true." I don't expect this line of conversation between us to actually go anywhere, but I did want to get that point across. In order to get through to a non-believer, you have to find ways to take things to another level.
---------
re -You know it is, I know it isn't,

er you cant say that - thats like you saying you know who your mother is and me saying i know it isnt your mother .
--------------------
re- you have to find ways to take things to another level.

nope i don't believe so - we are praying for you -that's it taken to the highest level possible :)

and it is ours to present it
and invite you .

if you desire the next level - your going to have to accept the invite ;)
that's back to your own responsibility and choice .

Upvote 0

versesvsvices

Aug 12, 2012
California
Visit site
✟15,258.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
er you cant say that - thats like you saying you know who your mother is and me saying i know it isnt your mother .
The strength of your faith is half-admirable and half-worrysome. I can't tell if you're really unable to understand another's point of view or unwilling.

Though maybe it's a moot point anyway. I know The Bible is not the word of God. You know that it is. It's not like we're going to find a happy compromise here, and I'm obviously out numbered, so I suppose I should just drop it. xD

<3 you anyway, Michael. ^_^

Upvote 0

Michaelismyname

Jun 11, 2012
✟1,230.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The strength of your faith is half-admirable and half-worrysome. I can't tell if you're really unable to understand another's point of view or unwilling.

Though maybe it's a moot point anyway. I know The Bible is not the word of God. You know that it is. It's not like we're going to find a happy compromise here, and I'm obviously out numbered, so I suppose I should just drop it. xD

<3 you anyway, Michael. ^_^

you said -"I know The Bible is not the word of God. You know that it is."

but dont you see the error of what you are saying ?what i mean is the statement is not honest - i don't mean that you are intentionally being dishonest .
but reason it out .

you have said you don't believe the bible - based on that self professed claim you have never applied the instructions it gives .

how then - can you say- "you know it is not true " ?you cannot speak in terms of certainty on this count.
this is not honest. What you ,perhaps, mean to say is ,"you think its not true ,or, you choose to believe it is not true . But in honesty , you CANNOT say -" you know "

in contrast - I have believed . and as proof that i believe, have applied that which is instructed and having done so i have received the promised results and continue to do so.
so by tangible experience I can and do say in all honesty and with certainty that .. I KNOW.

and what I know , i know because i first heard and then believed.;

the Lord Jesus is exactly who he said he is and he loves you and is waiting for you to put your faith in him.

we can only testify to you of that which we know and explain that which we believe and invite you to do so also .

believe in the Lord Jesus and you shall be saved . this is our greatest desire that you may enjoy life,and that eternal, with us . :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

versesvsvices

Aug 12, 2012
California
Visit site
✟15,258.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Your logic is pretty sound there, but you're still failing to take into account the perspective of billions of other people on this planet--people whose faith is just as strong as yours, but for another belief system. If a Muslim said the exact same thing to you, that you can't know that Islam isn't the true religion because you haven't applied it, you wouldn't drop your belief system and jump into that one.

You've found what you believe to be the truth, and you're not going to give it up because someone else says "Hey, I'm really sure I'm actually right here, you should apply the teachings I follow in your own life and see how right I am." The same applies with non-Christians; they can feel just as strongly about their beliefs as you do about yours.

Upvote 0

Michaelismyname

Jun 11, 2012
✟1,230.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Your logic is pretty sound there, but you're still failing to take into account the perspective of billions of other people on this planet--people whose faith is just as strong as yours, but for another belief system. If a Muslim said the exact same thing to you, that you can't know that Islam isn't the true religion because you haven't applied it, you wouldn't drop your belief system and jump into that one.

You've found what you believe to be the truth, and you're not going to give it up because someone else says "Hey, I'm really sure I'm actually right here, you should apply the teachings I follow in your own life and see how right I am." The same applies with non-Christians; they can feel just as strongly about their beliefs as you do about yours.

yes but they cannot testify to the truth of it by tangible experience -at least i have never heard anyone do so ;)

and redirecting the issue away from yourself does not exclude you from the invitation :) because you see -i'm not talking the proverbial dissociated "them"- i'm inviting you :)

believe in your heart that the Lord Jesus is who he said he is and allow him to give you life ..and that eternal . :)

its all very good news

Upvote 0

versesvsvices

Aug 12, 2012
California
Visit site
✟15,258.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
And you can't testify to the tangible experience of any other religion. If I can't say I know Christianity is false, then you can't say you know Hinduism (for example) is false.

I appreciate the invitation. The invitation to join my belief system is always open to you too, of course. :)

Upvote 0