1/3 of democrats believe it's racist to criticize a politician of color

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Yeah, since Trump was elected the left has been telling itself that racism has gotten worse. That poll doesn't surprise me because we now live in a world in which someone showing up on your lawn with a big sign that says "meanie bigot racist!" is taken as undoubtable proof that you are one.

Eventually this policy of "You're guilty when I feel like accusing you" is going to catch up with the folks who enjoy using it now, and they won't like it when that happens.
Throw out the polls and other forms of objective facts - who could could possibly argue with "archarios'" brilliant analysis?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Why cant a minority ever be held accountable for their own actions? Why is it every time they are confronted it somehow involves their entire race? What if just that one individual is a jerk? And I happen to tell them about there-self as an individual, why is it they cant take it personally instead of thinking they somehow represent an entire race? Why is it always about skin color when only that one individual, as an individual, is being addressed?

Is it possible to call out a minority about them, personally, without involving millions of other people?

• Winner
Reactions: Willie T
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My gut check says that it doesn't sound right, and it's very easy to word a question so that the respondent reads it in a different way than it was intended (intentionally or not). Therefore, I'm unable to form an opinion on the survey results without seeing the survey question. It may be accurate, Rasmussen may have intentionally worded the question to be misleading, or they may have done so on accident. It would also be good to see the sample info - the total sample size was 1000, but it doesn't say how many were Democrats or what their demographics were. As I've said before, I work in the polling/survey industry, so these are things that I'm conscious of.

You're not wrong about surveys being worded for a particular answer....nor are you wrong about people just misunderstanding it.

I will say that it seems unlikely that Rasmussen deliberately deceived anyone or failed to find the appropriate number of respondents...

Why not just look it up?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Black%20History%20Month%203.png

Given that during Black History Month (February 2019) 75% of "Blacks," 60% of Hispanics and 45% of "Whites" polled all agree that racism in America has gotten worse under the Trump Administration, one wonders as to how "Calminian" could possibly come to the conclusion that "America is the least racist country in all of history" and that "We truly live in a blessed time, just as MKL hoped for?"

75% of Black Americans say racism in the US has gotten worse under Trump | YouGov

Perceptions of people inside the US don't necessarily reflect how racist we are compared to other nations...

Map shows world's most racist countries (and the answers may surprise you) | Daily Mail Online

The reality is the US, Canada, Australia, Great Britain, and much of South America are the least racist nations.

Edit- Not surprisingly, before 2012 or so, Americans in general.....considered racism a smaller problem. It's almost as if talking about everything like it's a racial problem makes people believe it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My gut check says that it doesn't sound right, and it's very easy to word a question so that the respondent reads it in a different way than it was intended (intentionally or not). Therefore, I'm unable to form an opinion on the survey results without seeing the survey question. It may be accurate, Rasmussen may have intentionally worded the question to be misleading, or they may have done so on accident. It would also be good to see the sample info - the total sample size was 1000, but it doesn't say how many were Democrats or what their demographics were. As I've said before, I work in the polling/survey industry, so these are things that I'm conscious of.

A quick check shows that it seems really unlikely that the wording is incorrect...

Questions - Racism in Politics - July 15-16, 2019 - Rasmussen Reports®

If you're surprised by the results....I gotta ask why? If people buy into ideas like white privilege, white fragility, whitesplaining and other "newspeak" terms that are mainly a part of left wing racial dialogues (you simply don't see the right talking about these ideas except when pointing out their flaws)....this is the logical conclusion.

Why wouldn't they believe that it's racist to criticize non-whites' political views? Or is it just startling to see such a large portion of the party believe in something so clearly racist?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My question is to the white Democrats on this forum that aren't in that 33%....

How do you plan to deal with this? Just ask a non-white person if your views are correct? Do you plan on never disagreeing with them ever again? Maybe just ignore it until you're called a racist and ostracized for it by your peers?

Perhaps you think you can educate folks about what "racism" is and what it means, but I'll tell you now....that's an uphill battle. I've been doing it for 5 years and I'm not sure I'm making a dent. I suspect that the fact that I'm white is working against me.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to a recent poll, a shocking number of democrats believe it is actually racist to criticize a "politician of color".

Poll: A Third Of Democrats Believe It’s Racist To Criticize Politicians Of Color

A new poll suggests that nearly one third of Democrats believe white politicians who criticize politicians of color are racist.

Rasmussen conducted the survey with 1,000 registered voters between July 15-16th. The survey found that 32% of Democrats agree that it is racist for any white politician to criticize the political views of politician of color.​

This is fascinating on so many levels. America is the least racist country in all of history. We truly live in a blessed time, just as MKL hoped for. Yet we have people who think like this. Amazing.

I've never seen any group strive harder to accuse innocent people of racism. To me this is worse than racism, as it includes bearing false witness, which made the top ten.

I'm not surprised considering America's very long history of racism against minorities. First question: What makes you think the United States of America is the least racist country in all of history? Second question: Is there any other nation in the world or in history that has also claimed to be founded upon freedom, liberty and justice for all or claimed in a Declaration of Independence that all men are created equal like the United States? Third question: What makes you think we live in a blessed time, just as MKL hoped for? Fourth question: Are you a minority? If not, then do you think you have the moral right or the insight to determine what should be considered racism to a person of color?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Fourth question: Are you a minority? If not, then do you think you have the moral right or the insight to determine what should be considered racism to a person of color?

And here's the problem....

Moral right? Something is either racist....or it isn't. Opinions aren't suddenly valid or invalid based upon race. Facts don't change because of a person's race. Your race has zero bearing on your morality.....period.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Black%20History%20Month%203.png

Given that during Black History Month (February 2019) 75% of "Blacks," 60% of Hispanics and 45% of "Whites" polled all agree that racism in America has gotten worse under the Trump Administration, one wonders as to how "Calminian" could possibly come to the conclusion that "America is the least racist country in all of history" and that "We truly live in a blessed time, just as MKL hoped for?"

75% of Black Americans say racism in the US has gotten worse under Trump | YouGov

That's not surprising considering the white supremacists who are supporting him and praising him. They don't even hide behind white robes and white hoods anymore when they are out in public.

Top Racists And Neo-Nazis Back Donald Trump

Neo-Nazis explain why they support Donald Trump

White Nationalists Praise Trump as 'Most Honest President' Since Washington

Meet the Horde of Neo-Nazis, Klansmen, and Other Extremist Leaders Endorsing Donald Trump

White supremacy has been more out in the open since Trump entered into the political arena and it's been making a steady climb since he was elected. He has normalized racism through his actions and his speeches. It's the reason why white supremacists are so keen to support him and praise him.

President Trump is normalizing racism

Trump's Actions, Speeches Normalize Racism

Trump Gives White Supremacists an Unequivocal Boost

US neo-Nazi groups on the rise under President Donald Trump: report

And he has certainly given them plenty of reasons to support him and rally behind him too.

Avowed White Supremacists Praise Trump's Racist Tweet

White Supremacists Praise Trump's Inflammatory Immigration Remarks

White Supremacists Praise Trump for His 'Americans Are Dreamers, Too' Remark

Group of White supremacists throw support behind Trump's 'go home' comments

White Supremacists Loved President Trump's Latest Comments on Charlottesville

• Winner
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was thinking of The White Man's Burden and the White Savior Complex pompous attitude of some white people when I asked my last question. It's annoying for some White Savior to come gallantly trotting in like a knight on white horse to come to the rescue of minorities. In fact, it's arrogant and self-righteous for a white person to believe that minorities could never survive without white people.

Native Americans, African Americans and other minorities don't need white people coming into their communities and telling them what they need to do with their own lives or how they should live their lives or how they should feel about the racial injustices committed against their own people and their ancestors. They don't need white people insistently telling them to get over the past and move on.

Here’s What a White Savior Is (And Why It’s the Opposite of Helpful)

Holding up the Mirror: Recognizing and Dismantling the “White Savior Complex”

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I was thinking of The White Man's Burden and the White Savior Complex pompous attitude of some white people when I asked my last question.

Pompous attitude? You're arguing that the opinions of whites should be devalued because they're coming from white people.

It's annoying for some White Savior to come gallantly trotting in like a knight on white horse to come to the rescue of minorities. In fact, it's arrogant and self-righteous for a white person to believe that minorities could never survive without white people.

I don't see what "white saviorism" has to do with anything. All I'm arguing is that my opinion isn't disregarded because of my race.

Native Americans, African Americans and other minorities don't need white people coming into their communities and telling them what they need to do with their own lives or how they should live their lives or how they should feel about the racial injustices committed against their own people and their ancestors.

Nobody is telling anyone how they should "feel"...in fact, how anyone feels doesn't have anything to do with the issue.

They don't need white people insistently telling them to get over the past and move on.

I couldn't care less about anyone living in the past....pretend it's 1655 for all I care.

No one is playing "white savior". The problem is that 33% of Dems (according to the poll) disregard the opinions of whites....for no other reason than they dared to disagree with a minority.

It's blatant racism. During slavery they used to deny the right of slaves to testify in court....in some places in the middle east, a woman's word isn't considered equal to a man's in court or outside of it....

And now, sadly, the same kind of racism has become prevalent in my nation....long after this sort of thing was thought to be gone.

• Agree
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I can't tell without the question. They definitely lean right, so they may have worded things to make the left look bad.

Rasmussen leans right? I can't say I've ever heard that before....

I posted a link already but here's the exact wording....

"2* Is it racist for a white politician to criticize the political views of a politician of color?"

I honestly can't think of a clearer or more direct way to answer that question. I'm not blaming anyone for having doubts....but the problem here isn't that anyone misunderstood or was tricked by the question. It's a 3 question survey....so it's not like it was difficult to follow. Rasmussen rates the results as 95% accurate.

• Agree
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It is a stupid poll.
The questions are too general and it comes off as unscientific.

Here's the question....

2* Is it racist for a white politician to criticize the political views of a politician of color?

What exactly is "too general" or "unscientific" about the question?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Go back to the country you came from" is one of the oldest racial / ethnic slurs there is. It's literally listed on the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's guidelines about anti-discrimination laws. Though it's not surprising Trump would be totally ignorant / indifferent.

It's also just as stupid as stupid gets since three of the four women were born & raised in the United States. The one person who wasn't has been a citizen for longer than Donald's current wife.
People see what they want to.
It never occurred to me. But then I am not so racist that it would. I think people who see a sin everywhere only because it is ever before them... in themselves.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Man, anyone want to dissect this first question from the poll :

Which is closer to your point of view – that President Trump is a racist or that his opponents are accusing him of racism for political gain

Seems like a really weird set of options. I mean, first off, both can be true. What are you supposed to say if that's the case?

Also, why not add in a "I don't believe the President of the US is an overt racist"? I mean, have they conceded that he is, and the question is now just the best way to react to it? Maybe given the ~50% "President Trump is a racist" response that's just being practical, I don't know.

Finally, given this is the first question, it sure seems like a prime example of working to bias the poll via priming. It certainly adds a lot of unspoken subtext to the subsequent questions in the poll.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Why cant a minority ever be held accountable for their own actions? Why is it every time they are confronted it somehow involves their entire race? What if just that one individual is a jerk? And I happen to tell them about there-self as an individual, why is it they cant take it personally instead of thinking they somehow represent an entire race? Why is it always about skin color when only that one individual, as an individual, is being addressed?

Is it possible to call out a minority about them, personally, without involving millions of other people?
Anyone else find the off-topic jump from the OP to the subjects covered this rant particularly telling?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Maybe just ignore it until you're called a racist and ostracized for it by your peers?

Weird, for all the worrying I'm supposed to do about this it has never been an issue for me - despite the implication that it is for other posts. Wonder why that is.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Rasmussen leans right? I can't say I've ever heard that before....

I posted a link already but here's the exact wording....

"2* Is it racist for a white politician to criticize the political views of a politician of color?"

I honestly can't think of a clearer or more direct way to answer that question. I'm not blaming anyone for having doubts....but the problem here isn't that anyone misunderstood or was tricked by the question. It's a 3 question survey....so it's not like it was difficult to follow. Rasmussen rates the results as 95% accurate.

You posted the questions (which were linked in the OP through the Daily Caller article), but what were the answer choices. Someone mentioned "somewhat likely" as an answer. If people are asked that question and the answer is "somewhat likely", then the responder likely believes that it's context related. "somewhat likely" isn't a "yes". The Rasmussen poll itself didn't show the actual answer choices. Was it simply "Agree/Disagree" or "Likely/Somewhat Likely/Somewhat Unlikely/Unlikely" or some other nonsense. As others have said, a poll can be constructed to give you what answers you want.

Upvote 0