‘The Letter of the Law is Deadly’- But Have Not All Sinned?

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe we'll be perfected in love in this life, but we're to be on that path now, children of God, who is love.
Jesus told us to pray: Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven. So you do not think it is possible to do with He is telling us to do? Of course the idea behind this prayer is to align one's will with God's will and to bring heaven to earth by living in accordance with God's will. This prayer is often seen as a way of surrendering one's own desires and submitting to the will of God. Whether or not it is possible to fully realize this prayer is a matter of interpretation and belief.

John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, believed in the concept of Christian perfection or "entire sanctification." He taught that it is possible for believers to attain a state of holiness in this life and to live in a way that is pleasing to God. Wesley's teachings emphasized the importance of personal piety, social justice, and spreading the gospel. His ideas inspired the Holiness movement, which sought to promote a deeper spiritual experience and greater devotion to God.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus told us to pray: Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven. So you do not think it is possible to do with He is telling us to do? Of course the idea behind this prayer is to align one's will with God's will and to bring heaven to earth by living in accordance with God's will. This prayer is often seen as a way of surrendering one's own desires and submitting to the will of God. Whether or not it is possible to fully realize this prayer is a matter of interpretation and belief.

John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, believed in the concept of Christian perfection or "entire sanctification." He taught that it is possible for believers to attain a state of holiness in this life and to live in a way that is pleasing to God. Wesley's teachings emphasized the importance of personal piety, social justice, and spreading the gospel. His ideas inspired the Holiness movement, which sought to promote a deeper spiritual experience and greater devotion to God.
There are some that have believed that down through the centuries. Historically the church came to believe at some point that we can-and must-overcome the greater, most serious sins of the flesh while lighter ones, the occasional misguided thought or misplaced word or anger or lust, etc, will still plague us from time to time while in these bodies, in this life. Technically, perfection is now possible under grace, just not probable.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Historically the church came to believe
John Calvin and John Wesley were two important figures in the Reformation era who had differing views on certain theological issues. Calvin was a French reformer and theologian who is best known for his role in the Protestant Reformation and his teachings on predestination and the sovereignty of God. Wesley, on the other hand, was an Anglican clergyman and revivalist who founded Methodism and is known for his teachings on the role of grace and good works in salvation.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
John Calvin and John Wesley were two important figures in the Reformation era who had differing views on certain theological issues. Calvin was a French reformer and theologian who is best known for his role in the Protestant Reformation and his teachings on predestination and the sovereignty of God. Wesley, on the other hand, was an Anglican clergyman and revivalist who founded Methodism and is known for his teachings on the role of grace and good works in salvation.
Ok- and I was speaking of the church dating from some 1500-1800 years before them. Either way I think they had it right-absolute sinless perfection won't "happen" in this life-even though it should be sought.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Ok- and I was speaking of the church dating from some 1500-1800 years before them. Either way I think they had it right-absolute sinless perfection won't "happen" in this life-even though it should be sought.
John Wesley would ask: In what way are we not able to be perfect before God?

Wesley wrote: "In the year 1725, being in the twenty-third year of my age, I met with Bishop Taylor’s “Rule and Exercises of Holy Living and Dying.” In reading several parts of this book, I was exceedingly affected; that part in particular which relates to purity of intention. Instantly I resolved to dedicate all my life to God, all my thoughts, and words, and actions; being thoroughly convinced, there was no medium; but that every part of my life (not some only) must either be a sacrifice to God, or myself, that is, in effect, to the devil".

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
John Wesley would ask: In what way are we not able to be perfect before God?

Wesley wrote: "In the year 1725, being in the twenty-third year of my age, I met with Bishop Taylor’s “Rule and Exercises of Holy Living and Dying.” In reading several parts of this book, I was exceedingly affected; that part in particular which relates to purity of intention. Instantly I resolved to dedicate all my life to God, all my thoughts, and words, and actions; being thoroughly convinced, there was no medium; but that every part of my life (not some only) must either be a sacrifice to God, or myself, that is, in effect, to the devil".
Again, perfection is the goal-God's ultimate will for man. We all have to honestly examine ourselves, daily, to assess how well we've actually attained it, with the help of His grace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0