Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sacramento, Calif., Sep 18, 2011 / 06:08 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- “Scandalous” new information about the Gardasil HPV vaccines shows that California Gov. Jerry Brown should veto a state bill that allows 12 year olds to consent to such treatments without their parents’ involvement, opponents said ahead of the governor's expected decision.

William B. May, chairman of the California-based Catholics for the Common Good, said the bill has been designed to allow boys as well as girls to consent to the vaccine, although the Center for Disease Control currently only recommends it for girls.

“That doubles potential sales,” he said. Citing California Senate Appropriations estimates, he said this bill could mean more than $30 million of additional sales for Merck at taxpayer expense.

“Over a million more in taxpayer funds will be spent at the state level to pay the people providing the injections,” he said.

Continued- http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/waste-in-hpv-vaccines-shows-need-for-child-consent-bill-veto-warns-critic/

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
HPV is apparently a serious problem which ultimately affects 75% of the population (that seemed high to me, but that's what I read.)

I've also read that the vaccine is not a one-shot deal. It sounds as if several doses (I'm not sure how many) must be given over 6 months.

It's certainly not something for twelve year-olds to decide to have themselves, or to be forced to have by the government.

On the other hand, I know two families whose daughters (age 15 and 19) developed precancerous cells from HPV, and I am sure that their parents would have wanted to have them vaccinated if they could.

I am glad that my children are grown, because I think that parenthood gets harder and harder each year, so hard that in a sort of perplexed theoretical way I can understand the families that move out into the woods and homeschool them and make them wear little house on the prairie clothes at all times. Surely there must be an easier solution.

Upvote 0

Tawny

Senior Contributor
Feb 21, 2005
Buckinghamshire,UK
✟21,448.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
It seems strange to me that girls are allowed it without notifying the parents. Over here it is the opposite, we have to give permission.

My Daughter (12) had the first one yesterday, a letter was posted to me 10 days ago from her school with a permission slip for me to fill in and send back. It also had all the information about the vaccine and what it is for. There were some in her class who did not have it as their parents vetoed it.

I would not like the idea of her having any kind of medication, let alone a vaccine without my knowledge.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Gardisal vaccine does not protect in *all* HPV strains--only a few strains, so it's still possible for the girl to have to get the vaccine and *still* ends up getting cervical cancer (which the vaccine is supposed to prevent) should she decide to have unmarried sex.

Upvote 0