In this letter to Timothy Paul appears to know that his death is coming soon so he is giving some further instructions to his protégé before he passes on (although from the letter Paul appears to expect to see Timothy in the flesh before Paul is to be put to death).
Notes on the Second Book of Timothy
- The Holy Spirit is a fire and we must fan it into a flame (presumably by spiritual practices) (2 Timothy 1:6). Fear dampens this flame (2 Timothy 1:7)
- My read from this letter is that the greater responsibility and authority we are given in Christ the greater suffering we can expect. (2 Timothy 1:11-12)
- We should not be surprised if former friends desert us and Christ. (2 Timothy 1:15)
- We are soldiers of Christ Jesus and so we must share in suffering and not get entangled in the things of this world. (2 Timothy 2:3-7)
- "If we have died with [Christ], we will also live with him; if we endure, we will also reign with him; if we deny him, he also will deny us; if we are faithless, he remains faithful-for he cannot deny himself." (2 Timothy 2:11-13 English Standard Version)
- Avoid quarreling over semantics and pointless babbling. (2 Timothy 2:14, 16)
- If we want to be used by the Lord we must first cleanse ourselves from what is dishonorable. (2 Timothy 2:21)
- "So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart." (2 Timothy 2:22 ESV)
- "And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness." (2 Timothy 2:24-25 ESV)
- We need to avoid the hypocrites who appear to be godly but deny the power of God. (2 Timothy 3:5). They are interested in knowledge for its own sake but they won't accept the truth of Christ. (2 Timothy 3:7)
- "Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil people and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived." (2 Timothy 3:12-13 ESV)
- "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work." (2 Timothy 3:16-17 ESV)
- Christian leaders must correct, but also encourage, and do all things with patience and in a spirit of instruction. (2 Timothy 4:2)
Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.
Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.
We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!
The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!