In this part Paul describes how it is that the Lord Jesus Christ serves as a priest for us, provides a veritable hall of fame of the faithful and encourages and instructs the Hebrews in proper conduct.
Notes on the Book of Hebrews Chapters 9-13
- "For if the blood of goats and bulls, and the sprinkling of defiled persons with the ashes of a heifer, sanctify for the purification of the flesh, how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God." (Hebrews 9:13-14 English Standard Version)
- Blood is necessary for a covenant because the spilling of blood is the spilling of life and it is death, and biblical covenants are like wills, there must be a death for someone to inherit the bequeathal of the will. (Hebrews 9:15-21). Shedding of blood is also necessary to forgive sins. (Hebrews 9:22)
- "And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him." (Hebrews 9:27-28 ESV)
- "Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through the flesh, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with out hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water." (Hebrews 10:19-22 ESV)
- "Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful." (Hebrews 10:23 ESV). Paul repeatedly highlights the importance of hope in the walk of a Christian, it is hope that gives us the strength to endure trials and tribulations, so I pray we keep that hope ever burning that we may endure and gain that crown of righteousness that waits for us who believe on the name of Jesus Christ.
- Christians should meet together and not isolate themselves and encourage each other in love. (Hebrews 10:24-25)
- We must cease to make a practice of sin because there is no further sacrifice for the unrepentant sinner. (Hebrews 10:26-27)
- "For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised." (Hebrews 10:36 ESV). This particularly strikes a chord with me as I feel that the Christian faith is like a marathon, we have to keep pushing forward and trust that the Lord will carry us through.
- Paul's definition of faith: "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." (Hebrews 11:1 ESV). Faith is a spiritual sense that perceives spiritual realities, it believes more in the unseen and knows it as the truth than the lie that is placed over our eyes.
- In regards to the Lord, "without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him." (Hebrews 11:6 ESV)
- Much of Chapter 11 is a litany of all the notable people of faith in which Paul praises them and honors them.
- "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." (Hebrews 12:1-2 ESV)
- "It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons." (Hebrews 12:7-8 ESV). May we keep this in mind in the midst of our trials.
- "For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it." (Hebrews 12:11 ESV)
- Paul encourages us to be strong, make peace and be holy. (Hebrews 12:12-14)
- We also need to mind each other so that we all obtain the grace of God and prevent bitterness from springing up. (Hebrews 12:15)
- Paul also once again warns against sexual immorality. (Hebrews 12:16). I think because this is a sin against the body, which is the temple of God, it's a particularly pernicious sin.
- "But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable angels in festal gathering, and to the assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel." (Hebrews 12:22-24 ESV). This is a beautiful image.
- There will be a "shaking" and only that which cannot be moved (those in Christ) will remain. "Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire." (Hebrews 12:28-29 ESV)
- Paul's final instructions: Continue in brotherly affection, show hospitality to strangers, remember the prisoners, honor marriage, don't covet money and be content with what you have. Emulate the apostles and church leaders, don't be led away by strange doctrines, bear the reproaches of Christ and be submissive to the church leaders. (Hebrews 13)
Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.
Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.
We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!
The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
Notes On The Book Of Hebrews - Part 3 - Chapters 9-13
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!