N/A
✟150,381.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Carbs are addictive also when I first started fasting it was terrible but once my body learned to metabolically switch to fat, I had fewer cravings. Fasting is important too. Keto helped me lose a lot of weight but once I reached my target weight I ate more carbs to maintain body weight. I still enjoy my cake and even hamburger help every once in a while.
When I was doing keto, the world has changed. Its such a great advance from carbohydrate foods that one asks why its not a common knowledge - no hunger, stable energy, no sleepiness after meal, better skin, hair, mood, better exercise, lower blood pressure, better sleep... almost everything gets better.

However, I was still buying some junk. When I switched to carnivore/animal based diet (just beef, fermented dairy, eggs and a cup of berries or a handful of nuts), the cravings after sugar went away. I do not enjoy a cake anymore, the sweet taste is weird to me, now. I guess this kind of diet is easier to keep for the long term, because you are not adding no addictive carbs and body gets used to natural tastes of food.
This kind of diet also eliminated various problems with plants, like allergic reactions to wheat. And fasts are super-easy now, I can go 3 days without food without any struggle (I am drinking electrolytes, though).

I had no diabetes, no problem with obesity or being overweight, so I am talking just from a pure "feeling better" perspective.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To each their own I guess. I know the science I've been watching and it worked for me and many others.
The best way to prevent age-related muscle loss is physical exercise, this is the only proven method that works. Other interventions have not stood up to rigorous meta-analyses.
and eating protein. Dr. Gabrielle Lyon on YouTube works with geriatrics and what she says makes a lot of sense. I eat all whole foods but still don't eat starch as much as I used to. Like I said I make them resistant by refrigerating them and eating them the next day. I don't prescribe to anyone "diet" I just use Keto as a tool for weight loss and losing weight faster than ever before without exercise.
processed foods
Agree.

4 grams of carbs= to 1 teaspoon of sugar and you mention donuts but look at the content of one slice of white bread. The processing of wheat and rice takes out most nutrients including fiber. I primarily eat protein, healthy fats, and resistance starches. I'll treat myself to bread and pasta for maybe 4 times a month. As an old diabetic, the best way for me to better regulate my blood sugar is to regulate my sugar intake.

The key word is glucose. That's why they say a HOMA IR test is better than the typical glucose test for detecting pre-diabetes.

Your body doesn't burn fat until glucose is depleted. If you are having meals with carbohydrates and snacks the body keeps creating fat reserves.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
the sweet taste is weird to me
You are right I felt better while on keto. It's amazing how sweet something is once you've been away from it for a while. I find that keto along with many diets is sometimes restrictive but I do know the effects of sugar on my physiology. During this time, I gained a few pounds but I know going back to a keto-centric diet will help me achieve my fighting weight. There are also simple bio hacks you can use.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,381.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are right I felt better while on keto. It's amazing how sweet something is once you've been away from it for a while. I find that keto along with many diets is sometimes restrictive but I do know the effects of sugar on my physiology. During this time, I gained a few pounds but I know going back to a keto-centric diet will help me achieve my fighting weight. There are also simple bio hacks you can use.
Yes. Many people take the advantages of keto, but still go out and in and use various hacks for intake of sugars. Because keto allows for some sugars daily and many people also binge on those from time to time and then return back to keto, when the health problems appear again.

However, I am not sure what is the point of this yo-yo eating and hacking. We do not need any carbs in diet, 0. We do not need any fiber, 0. So there is no need to introduce such foods to a diet and then to struggle with them, to count them, to disturb the calmness of the body with plant anti-nutrients, fiber and toxins.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
You can also eat white rice and potatoes after refrigerating them, they become resistant starches.

If you have diabetes, you could try black rice or purple sweet potatoes. The anthocyanins in those foods are good in slowing blood glucose absorbtion, and they produce favorable changes in the gut microbiome over time. If you eat these kinds of foods consistently, it will also reduce hunger long term, through increasing a mechanism in the gut called the ileal brake, which sends hormonal signals to the brain telling your brain you have had enough to eat (the weight loss drug Ozempic actually works through the same mechanism). Black lentils, black beans, or berries are also good to eat.

I try to eat some anthocyanin rich foods at least twice a day.

Some of the longest-lived people on the planet are Okinawans, and most of their calories traditionally came from purple sweet potatoes. In countries like Korea, sweet potatoes are a traditional diet food people eat to stay slim.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,381.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some of the longest-lived people on the planet are Okinawans, and most of their calories traditionally came from purple sweet potatoes.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

Weston A. Price Foundation health quackery riddles this article, focusing on picayune details and irrelevancies rather than the wider point: people that eat predominantly plant-based diets have more people living longer, than groups that don't.

That guy seems to be equating wealth with health, and the two aren't synonymous. Poor people can outlive wealthy people with poor diets and lifestyles, it happens all the time. In the US, Hispanics and Latinos outlive non-hispanic whites, despite having less access to medical care and less income. The reasons are believed to be similar to the observations of the "Blue Zones": a diet that is more plant-based, coupled with more religious participation and less loneliness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
To each their own I guess. I know the science I've been watching and it worked for me and many others.

and eating protein. Dr. Gabrielle Lyon on YouTube works with geriatrics and what she says makes a lot of sense. I eat all whole foods but still don't eat starch as much as I used to. Like I said I make them resistant by refrigerating them and eating them the next day. I don't prescribe to anyone "diet" I just use Keto as a tool for weight loss and losing weight faster than ever before without exercise.

Agree.

4 grams of carbs= to 1 teaspoon of sugar and you mention donuts but look at the content of one slice of white bread. The processing of wheat and rice takes out most nutrients including fiber. I primarily eat protein, healthy fats, and resistance starches. I'll treat myself to bread and pasta for maybe 4 times a month. As an old diabetic, the best way for me to better regulate my blood sugar is to regulate my sugar intake.

The key word is glucose. That's why they say a HOMA IR test is better than the typical glucose test for detecting pre-diabetes.

Your body doesn't burn fat until glucose is depleted. If you are having meals with carbohydrates and snacks the body keeps creating fat reserves.

The body is continuously burning both fat and glucose. It burns much more glycogen than fat during anerobic activities, like intense physical exertion (lifting weights or high intensity cardio).

That's why low intensity exercises like walking tend to be the best for fat loss. And that's also why ultra-Marathon runners tend to have little muscle mass. When an ultra-Marathon runners runs long races, some muscle is eventually converted to glucose by the liver and burned as fuel, burning the muscle that is least used first. Their bodies have to become very efficient, and they do so by becoming incredibly lean.

It's thoroughly possible to eat a high carb diet and burn fat. I know because I regularly test ketones in the morning to make sure my body is burning fat. This is accomplished by being in a slight caloric deficit, and eating a low-fat diet.

And even white bread is a relatively low calorie food, compared to a donut. Most of the grains I eat are relatively unprocessed, whole grains or whole wheat pasta, but occasionally I will eat a piece of white bread if I have nothing else to eat. White bread has alot less caloric density than a donut, and alot less fat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,381.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Weston A. Price Foundation health quackery riddles this article, focusing on picayune details and irrelevancies rather than the wider point: people that eat predominantly plant-based diets have more people living longer, than groups that don't.
Its not true. Countries with highest life expectancy are Hong Kong, Andorra, Switzerland, Macao, Spain and similar. Countries with a lot of meat in their diet. Greece, Italy, Okinawa also consume a lot of meat, one must be really biased to think these are plant-based diets.

The myth of "plant-based blue zones" is just a myth. Its not supported by scientific data.

That guy seems to be equating wealth with health, and the two aren't synonymous. Poor people can outlive wealthy people with poor diets and lifestyles, it happens all the time. In the US, Hispanics and Latinos outlive non-hispanic whites, despite having less access to medical care and less income. The reasons are believed to be similar to the observations of the "Blue Zones": a diet that is more plant-based, coupled with more religious participation and less loneliness.
All observational studies are junk science. They are not reproducible (when repeated, they yield different outcomes), they are easily manipulated, difficult to interpret and they are not controlled (we know only associations, not causes).

However, if we want to build our diet on observation, plant-based diets are the worst. Even the Seventh Day Adventist study 2 showed that less meat correlates with higher rate of all-cause mortality. They had to adjust/manipulate their own data to support veganism.

Regarding correlations, wealth and health are positively correlated. It does not mean that every rich person outlives every poor person, its more about the distribution between groups, similar to this: Life expectancy for income levels (you can play the animation to see the development in time)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
This weight loss coach, Richa Prasad, has got the science right. Most of the weight lost on a low-carb diet is often water loss (been there, done that years ago). People would do better not to track weight loss, and instead focus on fat loss. Tape measurements of your waist are a better guide to whether you are losing fat, than a scale.

Its not true. Countries with highest life expectancy are Hong Kong, Andorra, Switzerland, Macao, Spain and similar. Countries with a lot of meat in their diet. Greece, Italy, Okinawa also consume a lot of meat, one must be really biased to think these are plant-based diets.

The myth of "plant-based blue zones" is just a myth. Its not supported by scientific data.

All observational studies are junk science. They are not reproducible (when repeated, they yield different outcomes), they are easily manipulated, difficult to interpret and they are not controlled (we know only associations, not causes).

However, if we want to build our diet on observation, plant-based diets are the worst. Even the Seventh Day Adventist study 2 showed that less meat correlates with higher rate of all-cause mortality. They had to adjust/manipulate their own data to support veganism.

Regarding correlations, wealth and health are positively correlated. It does not mean that every rich person outlives every poor person, its more about the distribution between groups, similar to this: Life expectancy for income levels (you can play the animation to see the development in time)

Evidence for the health benefits of a plant-based diet doesn't rely just on observational studies. There have been intervention trials showing the diet performs well in terms of biomarkers for cardiovascular health.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
plant-based diet
Now I understand you must be vegan. No amount of conversation will have you peek beyond your tribal beliefs. I do eat a wide variety of food just to keep my gut microbiome diversified but I understand the mechanisms of glucose and the role it plays in disease. If you are a vegan I hope you are supplementing essential amino acids. Peace Out

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,056.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That's why low intensity exercises like walking tend to be the best for fat loss. And that's also why ultra-Marathon runners tend to have little muscle mass. When an ultra-Marathon runners runs long races, some muscle is eventually converted to glucose by the liver and burned as fuel, burning the muscle that is least used first. Their bodies have to become very efficient, and they do so by becoming incredibly lean.

As for me, I don't burn any measurable muscle mass when I'm doing up to 6 hr non-stop bike ride in the mountain. I can lose as much as 10 lbs after and then gain it all back in just two days. I'm only losing water and a little bit of fat.

When you get strong adaptations to cope with low blood glucose, the body will be able to make good use of ketones. It doesn't have to metabolize muscle protein to get glucose. It will just use ketones for energy instead.

Additionally, when blood sugar start dipping, you'll get increased secretion of Growth Hormones (GH) and even more with adaptations which is another compound with strong protective attribute against muscle mass loss and enhances muscle building. Both GH and Ketones protect against muscle mass loss.

• Agree
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
As for me, I don't burn any measurable muscle mass when I'm doing up to 6 hr non-stop bike ride in the mountain. I can lose as much as 10 lbs after and then gain it all back in just two days. I'm only losing water and a little bit of fat.

When you get strong adaptations to cope with low blood glucose, the body will be able to make good use of ketones. It doesn't have to metabolize muscle protein to get glucose. It will just use ketones for energy instead.

Additionally, when blood sugar start dipping, you'll get increased secretion of Growth Hormones (GH) and even more with adaptations which is another compound with strong protective attribute against muscle mass loss and enhances muscle building. Both GH and Ketones protect against muscle mass loss.

Two objections:

A bike allows alot more efficient use of energy than other forms of endurance athletics (like running). Modern bicycles are even more efficient. It's likely you are burning primarily fat and glycogen, and not ketones as fuel, even on mountain rides. The rapid regaining of weight is most likely water, due to replenishing glycogen, and not the regaining of actual muscle mass or fat.

I have never seen a serious, competitive endurance runner with substantial amounts of muscle mass, or that ate a ketogenic diet. Ketones just aren't as good a fuel source for endurance athletes. The metabolic pathways in the mitochondria that are activated to become more efficient at using ketones as fuel, also mitigate against performance.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Now I understand you must be vegan. No amount of conversation will have you peek beyond your tribal beliefs.

Why does that only work one way? Why is the assumption that vegans are the people with peculiar habits? If I said I subsisted on a diet of human embryos, you'ld likely think that's monsterous, but if I said I avoid eating the flesh or biological fluids of another species, you'ld think that's equally bizarre for some reason.

I do eat a wide variety of food just to keep my gut microbiome diversified but I understand the mechanisms of glucose and the role it plays in disease. If you are a vegan I hope you are supplementing essential amino acids. Peace Out

I get plenty of amino acids in the food I eat. Plants contain all 9 essential amino acids in varying amounts. It's a myth that vegans are generally emaciated, weak, and protein deficient. My health isn't perfect, but I blame that on the fact that I have had the typical bad diet and lifestyle most of my life, precisely because I followed the conventional wisdom of the day, part of which saw veganism as bizarre, problematic, or unjustifiable.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why does that only work one way? Why is the assumption that vegans are the people with peculiar habits? If I said I subsisted on a diet of human embryos, you'ld likely think that's monsterous, but if I said I avoid eating the flesh or biological fluids of another species, you'ld think that's equally bizarre for some reason.

I get plenty of amino acids in the food I eat. Plants contain all 9 essential amino acids in varying amounts. It's a myth that vegans are generally emaciated, weak, and protein deficient. My health isn't perfect, but I blame that on the fact that I have had the typical bad diet and lifestyle most of my life, precisely because I followed the conventional wisdom of the day, part of which saw veganism as bizarre, problematic, or unjustifiable.
I asked you previously if you were on a particular diet and received no response. I apologize. My daughter was a vegan and had problems she had, then she incorporated grass-fed beef along with fish and chicken. Just don't want to see you sick man. The government wants you sick good money for healthcare. Peace

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ketones just aren't as good a fuel source for endurance athletes.
I agree, that why athletes carb load to fill their glycogen stores to maximize their fuel sources. This is why I don't prescribe to any one diet.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I asked you previously if you were on a particular diet and received no response. I apologize.

A plant-based diet isn't necessarily the same as Veganism. A plant-based diet is a way of describing a dietary pattern that gets the overwhelming bulk of its nutrients from plants, and includes a range of possible diets (Flexitarian, Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian, Buddhist or Jain vegetarian diets, the diets of some traditional cultures, and Vegan diets). Veganism, on the other hand, is a dietary pattern and way of life that seeks to exclude, as much as is practical, the use or exploitation of animals for food, clothing, or labor.

My daughter was a vegan and had problems she had, then she incorporated grass-fed beef along with fish and chicken. Just don't want to see you sick man.

A well-planned Vegan diet is nutritionally adequate for all stages of life. Emphasis on "well planned".

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,056.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Two objections:

A bike allows alot more efficient use of energy than other forms of endurance athletics (like running). Modern bicycles are even more efficient. It's likely you are burning primarily fat and glycogen, and not ketones as fuel, even on mountain rides. The rapid regaining of weight is most likely water, due to replenishing glycogen, and not the regaining of actual muscle mass or fat.

I have never seen a serious, competitive endurance runner with substantial amounts of muscle mass, or that ate a ketogenic diet. Ketones just aren't as good a fuel source for endurance athletes. The metabolic pathways in the mitochondria that are activated to become more efficient at using ketones as fuel, also mitigate against performance.

I do power lifting workouts 3x a week. I've already maxed out the weight I use, have switched to one-legged versions of those workouts and now increasing reps each week.

It would not been possible if I keep on losing muscle mass.

I'm still on high carb diet. I never tried keto diet and not planning to. But I exercise fasted to force my body into ketosis and with elevated levels of ketones and Growth Hormone to help maximize muscular performance gains from training.

It does have short term setbacks when you're just beginning to do it. But unless you stick to it, you won't get the incredible results I had from it.

Upvote 0