N/A
✟150,541.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
These results expand our understanding of human adaptation to a ketogenic diet combined with exercise. In conjunction with weight loss, we observed altered skeletal muscle mitochondrial function and efficiency, an effect that may contribute to the therapeutic use of ketogenic diets in various clinical conditions, especially those associated with insulin resistance...

Carbohydrate-restricted diets are a practical and sustainable lifestyle approach to manage conditions closely associated with insulin resistance, including metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes...

Given the involvement of both insulin resistance and mitochondrial impairment in a wide variety of degenerative diseases, if enhancement of mitochondrial function is a mechanism through which ketogenic diets improve insulin sensitivity, this would imply potential for major improvements in public health.

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,189.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
After my nearly 1 year experience with "Ketosis" together with exercising, I have to say the results are incredible. Incredible for losing weight, healed of metabolic and cardiovascular disease, and improving athletic/exercise performance without any medication.

But ketogenic diet isn't the only way to achieve ketosis. Ketogenic diets doesn't work with everyone.

You can still achieve ketosis (with your diet of choice) with intermittent fasting (IF) and exercising/training fasted during the fasting window before the first meal of the day.

IF is how I was able to exercise under ketosis. The best time to do this is in the morning right before your first meal of the day. If your workout takes 2 hours, then start the workout 2.5 hrs before the first meal. Remember, no eating before and during exercise.

There is no dieting restrictions with IF....but still be sensible enough to avoid indulging in junk, processed foods, and still limit your intake of sugar.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,541.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But ketogenic diet isn't the only way to achieve ketosis...There is no dieting restrictions with IF...
There is best, good, bad and worst way of eating. I agree that eating a high carb diet, but without alcohol, processed foods, seed oils, simple sugars and with fasting is much better than what most people do.

However, carbs come with their own set of problems so if somebody can (for example financially) eat the best food, there is no reason not to.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is no dieting restrictions with IF....but still be sensible enough to avoid indulging in junk, processed foods, and still limit your intake of sugar.
Both you and Myst are correct! Quoted is what I abide by and keto was a great tool to achieve my weight loss and reduce my insulin resistance. You shouldn't remain on a keto diet forever then your body becomes metabolically inflexible to carbs. The key is to allow your body to know how to switch from one fuel to the other.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,541.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You shouldn't remain on a keto diet forever then your body becomes metabolically inflexible to carbs.
Human body accommodates to carbs again in about 24 hours or so. So I do not worry about it too much. In a case of need, its still a possibility to eat carbs, this does not disappear. We do not need to "train" for that. Because carbs are addictive, its more the opposite problem - we must train to not eat them, after we got used to them.

The point starts at 12:45, cca.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,189.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Both you and Myst are correct! Quoted is what I abide by and keto was a great tool to achieve my weight loss and reduce my insulin resistance. You shouldn't remain on a keto diet forever then your body becomes metabolically inflexible to carbs. The key is to allow your body to know how to switch from one fuel to the other.

I'm not sure it's safe to periodically switch between keto diet and then regular carb diet.

There's is elevated risk of getting type 2 diabetes when you're starting on keto diet. So if you're switching back and forth, you might multiply that risk.

There might be an issue as well when you switch to high carb diet after some time under keto because your body has temporarily "forgotten" how to manage insulin and blood sugar. You may get symptoms similar to type 2 diabetes during the switch.

If you like to fuel flexibly, it's a lot safer to just adopt intermittent fasting so the body is alternating between ketones and glucose fuel on a daily basis parallel to the circadian rhythm. This way, the body maintains peak efficiency to handle either ketone fuel or glucose fuel because the switch is happening on a daily basis and there's no way the body will get "dumb" at dealing with either fuel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We do not need to "train" for that.
I think this is not true because think about how resistant your body was to switch to ketosis. Age plays a role and I was carb-addicted for 60 years of my life. If you are young it's probably easier (we should clarify age). I noticed at first that when I accidentally knocked myself out of ketosis it would take me a week to get back into ketosis. As time went on I would intentionally take myself out of ketosis and it only took 1-3 days to get back in.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,541.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think this is not true because think about how resistant your body was to switch to ketosis. Age plays a role and I was carb-addicted for 60 years of my life. If you are young it's probably easier (we should clarify age). I noticed at first that when I accidentally knocked myself out of ketosis it would take me a week to get back into ketosis. As time went on I would intentionally take myself out of ketosis and it only took 1-3 days to get back in.
I do not know if you watched the video, but according to Benjamin Bikman you need few carb meals, slowly, to prepare your B-cells to produce insulin in a higher amount, again.

If we are used to keto and then suddenly eat for example 50g of sugar, the symptoms are not pleasant (heart palpitations, anxiety...). But taking it slowly and starting for example with less sweet fruit, it should not be a problem.

However, I do not see any advantage in eating carbs, so I do not even know why to do this, except of some famine/poverty/emergency situation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There's is elevated risk of getting type 2 diabetes when you're starting on keto diet.
This is my last conversation about keto and vegan camp diets I'm on a common educated sense diet. Did you read anything I wrote about my type 2 diabetes? Peace Out

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,189.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Absolutely safe. It is just two different fuel sources your body recognizes.

You can't be so sure unless your blood is being monitored on a daily basis. Many who has diabetes didn't see it coming.

Also to me, switching back and forth between low carb and high carb diet sounds like a "yo-yo diet" and doctors advice against doing it.

The switch can also affect gut flora and could impact your overall immune response and quality of digestion.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,189.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This is my last conversation about keto and vegan camp diets I'm on a common educated sense diet. Did you read anything I wrote about my type 2 diabetes? Peace Out

I know about how you got healed of Type 2 Diabetes. Great that whatever you're doing worked for you.

But the studies I read seem to advice against it. They caution on the effects on blood sugar concerning the switch and it seems to agree with my own experience when I'm doing low carb meals at times with high meat proportion.

I used to have prediabetes and managed to get rid of it with intermittent fasting while on high carb diet.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,541.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is the reason I carb cycle.
I have seen few of his videos. I think he is a fitness trainer, without any education in science, physiology or nutrition. He may misunderstand a lot of things. Also, I am a bit suspicious that his body is not natural.

On the other hand: "Benjamin Bikman is an associate professor of cell biology and physiology at Brigham Young University (BYU). He holds a Ph.D. in Bioenergetics and has a research focus on the molecular mechanisms underlying conditions such as obesity, type 2 diabetes, and dementia."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think he is a fitness trainer,
Also trains Navy Seals. I like his videos because I can find the papers he quotes from. I am more of a Keto proponent than not because it works. I've seen Bikman videos 2 years ago when I was looking into getting healthy. Now that I'm at my target weight I eat a variety of healthy carbs. I do this to keep my gut flora diversified. Now to maintain my weight I intermittently fast and exercise which produces ketones and sometimes use MCT oil with my coffee. I don't beat the drum to any particular diet because I believe God placed all foods for our consumption for a reason. Try to live like our ancestors. There are side affects to both diets.

• Informative
Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,541.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
because I believe God placed all foods for our consumption for a reason.
I guess that the only foods naturally designed to be foods are milk and some fruit. The rest is trying to not be eaten (fighting/running away or producing poisons).

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess that the only foods naturally designed to be foods are milk and some fruit. The rest is trying to not be eaten (fighting/running away or producing poisons).
I like milk but I don't drink it often and mainly eat berries and some other low glycemic fruit. GMO fruits are made sweeter so I try to stay away from GMO stuff. If you think about it fruit should be eaten in season the way God planned it. Fatten you up for the winter where there is a lack. Anyone who argues against the keto diet hasn't read all the benefits of the diet. The problem with the meats (milk) we eat today is the way they are fed with GMO corn which creates a high omega-6 profile that leads to inflammation. I ate a lot of grass-fed hamburger on keto because the omega fatty acid profile is more balanced. I am against vegans because without meat you lack the essential fatty acids that meat provides unless you supplement. I try to stay away from all grains because of the processing, especially the fiber. As long as people look into the science they can design there on diet that fits their lifestyle as long as its not high-carb American diet.

• Informative
Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,541.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I like milk but I don't drink it often and mainly eat berries and some other low glycemic fruit. GMO fruits are made sweeter so I try to stay away from GMO stuff. If you think about it fruit should be eaten in season the way God planned it. Fatten you up for the winter where there is a lack. Anyone who argues against the keto diet hasn't read all the benefits of the diet. The problem with the meats (milk) we eat today is the way they are fed with GMO corn which creates a high omega-6 profile that leads to inflammation. I ate a lot of grass-fed hamburger on keto because the omega fatty acid profile is more balanced. I am against vegans because without meat you lack the essential fatty acids that meat provides unless you supplement. I try to stay away from all grains because of the processing, especially the fiber. As long as people look into the science they can design there on diet that fits their lifestyle as long as its not high-carb American diet.
I also do not drink milk as such, but I drink/eat a lot of fermented milk products (kefirs, cheese...).

I try to eat only bio (organic) products, including berries, because for example strawberries are being regularly placed at the top of fruit with the most pesticides on them. Such shopping is very expensive, though, shops are trying to push prices absurdly high, several times higher than is the price they bought it for from producers.

We simply live in poisonous and overpriced times.

• Winner
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
After my nearly 1 year experience with "Ketosis" together with exercising, I have to say the results are incredible. Incredible for losing weight, healed of metabolic and cardiovascular disease, and improving athletic/exercise performance without any medication.

But ketogenic diet isn't the only way to achieve ketosis. Ketogenic diets doesn't work with everyone.

You can still achieve ketosis (with your diet of choice) with intermittent fasting (IF) and exercising/training fasted during the fasting window before the first meal of the day.

IF is how I was able to exercise under ketosis. The best time to do this is in the morning right before your first meal of the day. If your workout takes 2 hours, then start the workout 2.5 hrs before the first meal. Remember, no eating before and during exercise.

My S.O. tried a ketogenic diet for epilepsy (it didn't work). It was an actual medical keto diet, with tracking of macronutrients and keeping carbohydrates very low. It resulted in loss in muscle mass. Her cholesterol also became quite high. Protein consumption was lower, in keeping with a medical ketogenic diet. If you eat alot of protein on a ketogenic diet, you aren't doing a real keto diet, you are just doing a low carb diet. Excess protein gets converted into glucose and it will lower ketone production.

Since we transitioned to a vegan diet with alot of whole, minimally processed foods, her epilepsy has actually gotten much better, and her cholesterol is alot lower. She eats more nuts than I do, mostly because she has the opposite problem to me- keeping on weight. Also, nuts have healthier fats that may help lower cholesterol, and she is a carrier of one APOE4 polymorphism, which predisposes her to high cholesterol.

• Informative
Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0