Why does Christ tell the churches he's coming "soon" in Revelation?

ThatTrueLight

John 1:9
Feb 12, 2015
✟2,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And the day of the Lord is still future... Written about by just about all the Apostles and Prophets, the foundation of the church.

John was in the Spirit which means in God's timeframe, not our carnal one. And a thousand years to Him are as one day. So it's been a couple days now..

As we see that Day approaching.

Upvote 0

ThatTrueLight

Feb 12, 2015
✟2,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The perfect biblical and spiritual reference for a day with God has been given to us. It's a thousand years, and it's no mistake that Peter does not wish that men are ignorant of this ONE THING..

ADAM died in the day that he ate from the tree, and yet lived to be over 900 years old, but not a 1000. Adam did die in that day just as God said he would. Not a single man lived to be a thousand.

Upvote 0

A New World

May 21, 2014
CA
✟8,451.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And the day of the Lord is still future... Written about by just about all the Apostles and Prophets, the foundation of the church.

All are in agreement that the Day of the Lord was future to the apostles and prophets. But all the NT writers told their audiences that it was about to be, or that it was near, shortly or soon.

John was in the Spirit which means in God's timeframe, not our carnal one. And a thousand years to Him are as one day. So it's been a couple days now..

John being in the spirit meant that he was shown a vision, not that the imminent language was meaningless to his fellow servants. The vision was written by John to God's servants regarding things "which must shortly take place" (Rev. 1:1). He also wrote, "the time is near" (Rev. 1:3) : God told John to: "Write the things that thou hast seen, and the things that are, and the things that are about to come after these things" (Rev. 1:19 YLT).

As we see that Day approaching.

Here's the verse:
"not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching" (Heb. 10:25).

The book of Hebrews was written to first century Israel. They were told they were living in the last days:
"God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds" (Heb. 1:1-2).

The evidence seems to show that the NT was written to a specific people telling them they were living in the last days and the Day of the Lord was near.

They were told to wait eagerly for that day:
"so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation" (Heb. 9:28).

Though many have inserted themselves into Scripture, it was written to specific, usually identified, living breathing people. It was relevant to them in the midst of their circumstances. They were given specific promises. Were the writers words reliable? Did they receive their promises within the timeframe given? If not, there is a huge problem!

Upvote 0

A New World

May 21, 2014
CA
✟8,451.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The perfect biblical and spiritual reference for a day with God has been given to us. It's a thousand years, and it's no mistake that Peter does not wish that men are ignorant of this ONE THING..

I believe that God is the author of communication. And, Scripture is His Word communicated to His people. When He told specific audiences that an event "must shortly take place" surely He wasn't speaking within the godhead or to angels. Peter said he was writing "To the pilgrims of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia" (1 Pet. 1:1). His words must have been relevant to his audiences.

ADAM died in the day that he ate from the tree, and yet lived to be over 900 years old, but not a 1000. Adam did die in that day just as God said he would. Not a single man lived to be a thousand.

I don't think your theory is supported by Scripture. Remember, God was speaking to man in human terms. This was not a discussion among heavenly beings about timeless matters.

Most believe Moses authored the book of Genesis. He was the first leader of Israel. I believe God gave the Scriptures to Israel through her prophets.

Moses gave us the definition of a day: "God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day" (Gen. 1:5).

God told Adam: "but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."

According to Scripture, the day Adam sinned he died. The death was not physical it was separation from God. We refer to that as either sin death, or spiritual death.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

A New World

May 21, 2014
CA
✟8,451.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Berean,

The obsession with AD70 shows. It overshadows the simple truth that the resurrection is on the last day.

Why would anyone want to rob Christians of their hope in the resurrection?

That's rhetorical, I know why.

No obsession here, just pursuing truth. I haven't heard or read a logical, reasonable response from a futurist perspective to the defense of Scripture I've presented here. I welcome any interaction with the evidence.

Upvote 0

ThatTrueLight

Feb 12, 2015
✟2,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No obsession here, just pursuing truth. I haven't heard or read a logical, reasonable response from a futurist perspective to the defense of Scripture I've presented here. I welcome any interaction with the evidence.

And you won't hear anything because of your obsession with AD70. Saying you don't have an obsession means nothing when all your comments are right there.

Upvote 0

ThatTrueLight

Feb 12, 2015
✟2,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're one of those who is avoiding my points. The silence is deafening!
I could be mistaken, but I don't believe you are allowed to post in these forums if you deny the literal and physical resurrection of the dead. Some more senior members can verify or not.

So bye.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A New World

May 21, 2014
CA
✟8,451.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I could be mistaken, but I don't believe you are allowed to post in these forums if you deny the literal and physical resurrection of the dead. Some more senior members can verify or not.

So bye.

I respect your right to avoid a challenge to your opinion of Scripture. Bye.

Upvote 0

ThatTrueLight

Feb 12, 2015
✟2,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I respect your right to avoid a challenge to your opinion of Scripture. Bye.

There is no challenge to the truth. If you'd like to believe that the resurrection is past and pretend it all happened in AD70, then you should post in the non-believer section.

I'm sure you'd be well accepted there. :)

Upvote 0

A New World

May 21, 2014
CA
✟8,451.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's was very difficult for me to avoid this thread. The title and the initial post posed many questions that I believe are answered from the Preterist perspective. I tried to focus only on the multiple time statements made throughout the New Testament.

There are those who have never considered them from the original audience's perspective. There are also those who avoid, deny or attempt to dismiss the force of the time statements. Since this is a location on this forum to learn about Scripture only from a limited point of view, I will exercise more restraint. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Upvote 0

A New World

May 21, 2014
CA
✟8,451.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no challenge to the truth. If you'd like to believe that the resurrection is past and pretend it all happened in AD70, then you should post in the non-believer section.

I'm sure you'd be well accepted there. :)

Like many others, if you can be content disregarding clear, comprehensive, relevant views of the Scriptures you are free to do that. I don't know how a person can avoid the logical points I made then run from them and claim to be a student of God's Word. Bye again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatTrueLight

Feb 12, 2015
✟2,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like many others, if you can be content disregarding clear, comprehensive, relevant views of the Scriptures you are free to do that. I don't know how a person can avoid the logical points I made then run from them and claim to be a student of God's Word. Bye again.

And you can deny that the resurrection of the dead is connected to Christ's coming all day long.. it doesn't change a thing. Just makes you wrong, that's all.

Upvote 0

A New World

May 21, 2014
CA
✟8,451.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's a simple reason in SCRIPTURE as to WHY we KNOW that Christ hasn't come.. because the resurrection of the dead is undeniably connected to His coming.

Simple as that..

It's not "simple as that." If one avoids large portions of the content of the text, as you have in this discussion, a view may be simple, but it may not be truth.

Upvote 0

A New World

May 21, 2014
CA
✟8,451.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And you can deny that the resurrection of the dead is connected to Christ's coming all day long.. it doesn't change a thing. Just makes you wrong, that's all.

I don't deny that in any way. Please read a little more about the Preterist view of Christ's coming and the resurrection of the dead. Being informed is the first step to an honest pursuit of truth.

Upvote 0