Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Which has NOTHING to do with marriage. It has EVERYTHING to do with the kind of legalism shown in attempting to make it apply to marriage.

It was addressed to the issue of the Judiasers, a group how claimed one had to become a Jew before they could be a Christian. Paul, rather brilliantly, used their own 'law' against them.

Unfortunately this kind of Legalism is hard to kill, it grows back even if pulled out by the roots.

The Bible is our Standard for faith and practice, is It not?

Weren't these things written for our admonition?

Is the Bible considered "quick" -- meaning "alive" -- meaning It applies to every generation?

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I are both atheists. We got married for the same reasons any couple does--we loved each other and wanted make a formal committment before our friends and family. We had a home ceremony performed by one of my neighbors, who happened to be a federal judge. And even though we have a godless marriage, we've been together and faithful to each other for 26 years. And still going strong. Which is more than I can say for a lot of religious marriages.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why do atheists get married?

I have wondered this for some time now; and I'm just asking out of curiosity.

So, in your mind, you can't fathom why a non-believer would to commit to companionship?

You have got to be kidding me!

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And even though we have a godless marriage, we've been together and faithful to each other for 26 years. And still going strong. Which is more than I can say for a lot of religious marriages.

38½ years here, chief.

Which is more than I can say for a lot of Godless marriages.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Bible is our Standard for faith and practice, is It not?

Weren't these things written for our admonition?

Is the Bible considered "quick" -- meaning "alive" -- meaning It applies to every generation?

The bible is considered somethings by some people and it has a completely different meaning (or should I say lack of meaning) to many others.

Even many people who call themselves christians for convenience or out of habit, don't believe the bible is a credible book.

Upvote 0
O

OathKeeper99

Because of Femenism.
To keep the state as the adulterous partner and sugar daddy.

My wife and I are both atheists. We got married for the same reasons any couple does--we loved each other and wanted make a formal committment before our friends and family. We had a home ceremony performed by one of my neighbors, who happened to be a federal judge. And even though we have a godless marriage, we've been together and faithful to each other for 26 years. And still going strong. Which is more than I can say for a lot of religious marriages.
Amen

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Even many people who call themselves christians for convenience or out of habit, don't believe the bible is a credible book.
I wouldn't either, if I called myself a christian [sic] for convenience or out of habit.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,880.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But isn't that a violation of Scripture?

2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

And All Christians follow the Every rule in the Bible 100%?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Why do atheists get married?

I have wondered this for some time now; and I'm just asking out of curiosity.

AV's made clear that his original question was about 'church weddings'.

Some atheists are still 'in the closet,' so if their family & friends (or their soon-to-be spouse, eek) don't know, that could be a reason.

Some people may be 'culturally' Christian, just as many non-observant Jews will still have a 'Jewish wedding'. A couple friends of mine are somewhere in the agnostic/atheist spectrum, but both coming from Catholic families, they had a big old Catholic wedding and mass. I don't know all the details, but I don't think they pretended to be devout to the priest or their families.

Of my personal knowledge, I officiated at the wedding of two friends of mine (though it was not in a church). Both were more or less atheists or extremely agnostic, but at least one of them was not 'out' to their families. The bride came from a very traditional North Carolina background, and I think primarily to make them happy, the ceremony was somewhat religious. I always consider my job as officiant is to make the couple happy, so if they want 'God' mentioned, I will mention God. And I did, and apparently I was convincing enough to disturb my wife and other atheist friends, who thought I sounded horrifyingly sincere.

Another couple of our atheist/agnostic friends got married in a church, but basically as a rented venue. The ceremony was officiated by another friend of ours, who is most notable for having a Star Wars themed art car, and dressing up like Obi Wan Kenobi. The ceremony started by quoting the Princess Bride ("Mawwiage is what bwings us togetheh...") and was, I'm fairly certain, entirely secular.
I'm not sure if there was any particular reason for having the ceremony at the church other than that it is a lovely and traditional space. The bride did work part time as a choir director and singer in various church choirs.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.