Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What exactly do you think Satan does to people who end up divorcing that he doesn't do to other couples? Does he whisper in their ears at night?

Don't you just love AV's logic:

He has his triangle which is supposed to benefit christians in their marriage, yet, he explains the much higher divorce rates to influence from satan. All this, while he claims non-believers are not influenced as much by satan, even though they are already in his grasp.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Don't you just love AV's logic:

He has his triangle which is supposed to benefit christians in their marriage, yet, he explains the much higher divorce rates to influence from satan. All this, while he claims non-believers are not influenced as much by satan, even though they are already in his grasp.
I think I understand what he's trying to say, but it's circular logic. I think he's saying that Satan concentrates all his energy on encouraging Christians to sin because he's already won in the case of an atheist couple. He is therefore concluding that this is why the Christian divorce rate is higher, but that it would be higher still if they didn't have the connection to God. How can he know that it would be higher, though (aka that the connection to God is helping at all), when there's no way to test that? There's no control sample.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think I understand what he's trying to say, but it's circular logic. I think he's saying that Satan concentrates all his energy on encouraging Christians to sin because he's already won in the case of an atheist couple. He is therefore concluding that this is why the Christian divorce rate is higher, but that it would be higher still if they didn't have the connection to God. How can he know that it would be higher, though (aka that the connection to God is helping at all), when there's no way to test that? There's no control sample.

Bit of a reach, wouldn't you say?

If being a christian and close to God doesn't protect you from satan, what would?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
If you imagine a triangle: with God at the top, and the husband & wife at the bottom on opposite ends -- then the closer the husband & wife draw to God, the closer they draw to each other.

Even allowing your saccharine metaphor, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Two people who want to get closer together should head directly toward their goal.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Even allowing your saccharine metaphor, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Two people who want to get closer together should head directly toward their goal.
I suppose he's saying that if side BC of a triangle moves closer to point A, then points B and C will get closer together while also getting closer to point A. I think it's a fair metaphor, albeit rather infantile.

There's also the fact that the same result would be achieved if God and person B both worked independently to get closer to person C, which suggests that neither person in the marriage has to actually try to get closer to God in order for this goal to be met.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Again, because he's not influencing them as much as he does Christians.

Put another way: The devil prioritizes.

Two atheists divorce? meh

Two Buddhists divorce? meh

Two Christians divorce? now there's a story.

Look at it this way: Which stands out more? two accountants who divorce, or two marriage counselors who divorce?
That's a highly original explanation.

At any rate, it must be rather bizarre to live in your world. Satan is without us knowing (according to you) guiding events with an invisible hand and influencing the behaviour of even those opposed to him. You can't even know that he isn't controlling you.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
We use statistics like that to make the point that Satan goes after Christians more than he does unbelievers.
Yes, you´d use any statistics to make any point you want to make.
But kudos for the creative thought! :thumbsup:

However, your line of reasoning suggests that Christians (who are the better people) can be expected to - on average - misbehave more often than non-Christians (who are the worse people).

After all, he already has them.
...and once he has them, they start conducting themselves - by Christian standards - better than Christians? That doesn´t make much sense, does it?

Would you be going so far to say that a person whose behaviour is very close to Christian principles is more likely a non-Christian, while a person who violates Christian rules is more likely a Christian?

I am familiar with the idea that the misbehaviour of a person can/must be explained by the fact that Satan has her. Now you present the contrary idea that good behaviour can/must be explained by the fact that Satan has this person.
Whatever - I hope you don´t use those two lines of reasoning simultaneously.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist

However, your line of reasoning suggests that Christians (who are the better people) can be expected to - on average - misbehave more often than non-Christians (who are the worse people).

...and once he has them, they start conducting themselves - by Christian standards - better than Christians? That doesn´t make much sense, does it?

Would you be going so far to say that a person whose behaviour is very close to Christian principles is more likely a non-Christian, while a person who violates Christian rules is more likely a Christian?

I am familiar with the idea that the misbehaviour of a person can/must be explained by the fact that Satan has her. Now you present the contrary idea that good behaviour can/must be explained by the fact that Satan has this person.

It's completely logical and backed up by the Bible. After all, it isn't as if the Bible said that you shall know Christians by their fruits or something like that.

... oh wait...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Isn't this called; "having your cake and eating it too"?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Satan is without us knowing (according to you) guiding events with an invisible hand and influencing the behaviour of even those opposed to him. You can't even know that he isn't controlling you.
LOL -- this is just getting worse, isn't it?

Here's what I originally said:
Again, because he's not influencing them as much as he does Christians.
And now we've gone from "influencing" to "guiding with an invisible hand" to "controlling us."

Anything else I said that I didn't?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Let's not make any more of this than what I said, okay?

If you want to mix-and-match a hundred different scenarios with what I said, that's your prerogative; but please try and keep what I said accurate.

Fair enough?

(Better yet, I'll just stop this downward spiraling and request closure.)

Upvote 0

Metal Minister

New Year, Still Old School!
May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mod Hat On