Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Why do atheists get married?

Marriage is not only a religious ceremony, and in fact there is no reason to assume that it came from any religion. There are lots of reasons that people in general get married, be they cultural ties, social rites of passage, stability or simply taking advantage of tax breaks. There's no reason to consider atheists as any different to anyone else in this regard.

Think about the reasons you got married; I doubt you simply married the first woman you found, and that your decision to get married was based on far more than just "the Bible told me to get married, and you're the most convenient person available". All those other, non-religious reasons you love your wife and decided to marry her apply to other people too, atheists included.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Marriage is not only a religious ceremony, and in fact there is no reason to assume that it came from any religion.
Hmmm ...

Yes, there are exceptions -- like a common-law marriage or marriage by a justice of the peace.

I was thinking more along the lines of a church wedding, vows before God and all.

I overlooked the reasons you stated, though.

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,047.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Marriage is not only a religious ceremony, and in fact there is no reason to assume that it came from any religion.

@AV1611VET: As I told you, an Atheist quite unlikely would marry in a Church.
Only Civil marriage.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Hmmm ...

Yes, there are exceptions -- like a common-law marriage or marriage by a justice of the peace.

I was thinking more along the lines of a church wedding, vows before God and all.

Well, if you could provide us with examples of atheists having a church wedding and giving vows before God and all that.

As has been said in the other thread, it can happen if one of the partners is religious and wants to do all that stuff. In spite of what many Christians think, atheists are not opposed or angry towards God, worship Satan and start to burn when the enter Holy Ground.
So if your significant other wants to go through all the ceremony and it means something to hir, most atheists will go with it. They just don't mind... the stuff they care for happens elsewhere.

Some atheists couples might even go for it, because it is an event. You don't have to believe in something to like the outward trippings.

But as I said, I would need examples for that - in depth examples to see if and what these potential "church wedding and vow before God giving" atheists did to change the ceremony.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
@AV1611VET: As I told you, an Atheist quite unlikely would marry in a Church.
Only Civil marriage.
Right ... got it ... thank you.

So if an atheist does get married in a church ... says vows to God and all ... would that be an exception to the norm?

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,047.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Right ... got it ... thank you.

So if an atheist does get married in a church ... says vows to God and all ... would that be an exception to the norm?

I would say yes.
Why should he, if he doesn't believe in God?

I would say an Atheist would only marry in a Church, if her/his partner is Christian and if her/him this means something.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would say an Atheist would only marry in a Church, if her/his partner is Christian and if her/him this means something.
But isn't that a violation of Scripture?

2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,047.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

I think not all Christians are that faithful to the bible as you and me are.
In fact, I dare to say that people like we are in declinign. :(

And an Atheist, frankly, doesn't care what says in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

"Unbelievers" includes more than just atheists. It includes all non-Christians.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think not all Christians are that faithful to the bible as you and me are.
In fact, I dare to say that people like we are in declinign. :(

And an Atheist, frankly, doesn't care what says in the Bible.

I think you're right, my friend!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
I dedicated this thread to atheists though.

You know? curiosity and all.

Yeah, God forbid it would touch any related topics, like... what scripture says about unevenly joking. ;)

You wanted to know why some people do something... something that you cannot even show they do. Perhaps you should sort out your stereotypes, preconceived ideas and prejudices before letting your curiosity run wild.

As long as I don't see any evidence for the opposite, I can say that atheist couples simply do not do what you want to have their reason for.

Mixed couples may do it, because one part cares, and the other part does not oppose. But if you want us atheists to tell our believing spouses that they should not be unevenly yoked to us unrighteous darkies... I don't think we not they will praise your Christian love for that.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

I don't know how I will feel in the future, but I wouldn't be against a church wedding, but I doubt I would say vows to God.

All the weddings I have ever been to have been in a church, I was brought up in a church, I still see the beauty of liberal Christianity. I guess for me getting married in a church would tradition thing rather than a religious thing.

In general, I see marriage to be a meaningful commitment of love and loyalty, so that is why I would probably marry.

Does that answer your question? :)

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟318,580.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Which has NOTHING to do with marriage. It has EVERYTHING to do with the kind of legalism shown in attempting to make it apply to marriage.

It was addressed to the issue of the Judiasers, a group how claimed one had to become a Jew before they could be a Christian. Paul, rather brilliantly, used their own 'law' against them.

Unfortunately this kind of Legalism is hard to kill, it grows back even if pulled out by the roots.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.