Visit site
✟10,999.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was recently on Youtube leaving a reply to a video which suggested teaching creationism is bad for children. I'm not religious, but I do believe in God. I had said that nothing should be forced on a child, including evolution. I've always found freedom of thought to be important but I was respectful when I left the comment.

I soon got some ugly comments for the message I had left, I also notice this with others as well, a very harsh attitude for those who believe. I see this in the media with celebrities such as Bill Maher too, it seems pretty common.

Atheist say that they can't hate what they don't believe, but I know many of them do. Many people don't believe in God anymore these days so they seem to have the upper hand already, it makes it hard to understand. I've always had a problem understanding those who are not okay with others having beliefs that are different. Any ideas, or thoughts?

Edited:

I wanted to add a thought to the opening post, the idea behind hating something you don't believe in is something I believe can make sense if someone hates the ideas behind something, and the people associated with it. That's what this is about, hatred directed at believers and what they believe. It seems to be directed at peaceful and productive believers much of the time.

As far as more extreme examples of hate goes, beyond Youtube, first off I think Youtube is very revealing in the sense that it's not moderated, and by being separated from those who they're insulting it makes it possible to say anything without consequences. Some of the behaviours surrounding social media is something I plan to write about extensively actually, but if you need more extreme examples of what's hateful beyond that, you're welcome to ask or read some of the replies I've done here. Not all Atheist do this but I feel there is a movement to damage faith-based communities.

Last edited:

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,331.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I was recently on Youtube leaving a reply to a video which suggested teaching creationism is bad for children. I'm not religious, but I do believe in God. I had said that nothing should be forced on a child, including evolution. I've always found freedom of thought to be important but I was respectful when I left the comment.

I soon got some ugly comments for the message I had left, I also notice this with others as well, a very harsh attitude for those who believe. I see this in the media with celebrities such as Bill Maher too, it seems pretty common.

Atheist say that they can't hate what they don't believe, but I know many of them do. Many people don't believe in God anymore these days so they seem to have the upper hand already, it makes it hard to understand. I've always had a problem understanding those who are not okay with others having beliefs that are different. Any ideas, or thoughts?

If atheists say they don't hate something they don't believe in, what information do you have that shows that they're lying about this?

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker

Atheist say that they can't hate what they don't believe, but I know many of them do.
[...]
Why do Atheist hate God?

Since you know so many atheists who "hate God" - why don´t you ask them?

Many people don't believe in God anymore these days so they seem to have the upper hand already, it makes it hard to understand.
I fail to see how atheists have "the upper hand".
I've always had a problem understanding those who are not okay with others having beliefs that are different. Any ideas, or thoughts?
Now, that´s an entirely different question.
Yes, I have my ideas - and since I am sure there are beliefs you are not ok with I think so have you.

Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

?

Harsh like women burned as witches? Or complete social ostracism for non-belief? Or loosing one's job because the boss is a Christian?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,471.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

My thought is that you know nothing of the sort.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Atheist say that they can't hate what they don't believe, but I know many of them do.
Some hate the concept, sure. I wouldn't say I hate it, but I myself am not a huge fan of some of the theology that has gone into constructing the god figure in Abrahamic religions. But that's a bit different than hating someone who you think actually exists.

Upvote 0

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Well, you will definitely find this same intolerance, the same "hatred ," in some Christian circles, unfortunately. Try fundamentalism or the Bible Belt sometime.

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

mikenet2006

Jun 9, 2006
Asheville NC
Visit site
✟10,999.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm going to reply to ToddnotTodd and Quatona here...

Perhaps I should specify that it's (many) Athiest I've observed who show signs of hate, not all of them. I do believe people are diverse, but I knew a couple Athiest when I was agnostic and it was much the same thing with them. One of them would get pamphlets that are intended to reach those who may be interested in what God can do for them, but he doesn't get them because he's interested in God, he gets them to laugh at them and talk about how retarded believers are, and has also done some things which were very harsh beyond that.

As far as Atheist having the upper hand, I believe this is true for a number of reasons. The amount of believers are on the decrease according to statistics, and our government is becoming more progressive and liberal, for example since 1993 the Democrats have won 5 of the last 6 presidential elections (by popular vote). I believe things are changing, now I want to make it clear that being a Democrat doesn't make you an Athiest but when you look at the numbers or pay attention to the media it's clear that they have more Atheist and less believers....

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/majority-of-atheists-are-liberal/article/2510230

This has a poll from Pew research which is one of the most reliable sources for polling data. It's pretty obvious to me, just through observations, that Democrats have more Athiest and Agnostics, and they're winning presidential elections and changing laws which go against some of the principals that are important to Christians for example. Again I don't want to group people together I know Democrats who believe in God but the statistics are pretty clear.

The link below shows numbers on both a decrease in those who are religious and a decrease in those who believe in God in the U.S. The ones who believe in God who aren't religious has only slightly dropped, but worldwide it's dropped much more. This has to be obvious to you guys, people don't take matters of faith as seriously as they used to, and for many Religion or God is being portrayed in a bad way. Personally, I don't think it's bad, some people can make it a bad thing but there are a lot of people who are helped by believing, or function better by believing, and contribute to others because of their faith. I know more of those types of believers than obnoxious ones...

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/11/03/u-s-public-becoming-less-religious/

So I'll stand by saying that I think non believers have the upper hand, I think many believers of God and Christians feel backed into a corner, I've seen it.

As far as hate goes, I mentioned the person I knew who got the pamphlets to make fun of them, and the youtube comments with the hateful messages. There's a lot more, more than I could list in a forum by a longshot, but I will give you some substantiation.

Here's a word for word example by someone who calls himself Athiest 13...

http://www.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/p/keep-calm-and-hate-god-5/

If you search youtube for videos about God or religion it's so common that people are saying ugly or hurtful things, they may not come right out and say they're Athiest but if their comments are directed at God id say the chances are high that they don't believe. Take this comment for example....

"One day, we'll look back, see that some people believed that s___, and laugh our a____ off. We'll consider it just as moronic as Greek mythology. If not more."

Look down for Mr. Awesome to see the comment...

Some people will come right out and use the word hate, the ones who don't say it but say a number of ugly or hurtful things
I'd say it gives a pretty good idea, especially if they're doing it regularly. Some people even specialize in mocking believers, Bill Maher is one of the most prolific in this category. He's spent years targeting believers and Christians while making money doing it.

It's a free country, and some of this hate does come from believers but I'd say those types are not following a God based lifestyle, God is not about hate. Long story short, I don't like that some can't live and let live, I never understood those who persistently attack others verbally or any other way. I think most of the focus is on the religious and how bigoted and unaccepting they are, but Athiest are often very judgemental or unaccepting. That's one of the things that turned me away from atheism, they talked a lot about how judgemental and hypocritical believers are but they were doing the same thing.

I noticed I'm getting a lot of feedback here, I hope we can have a civil debate. I'll try to get to more of these responses soon, it's been busy over here. Actually, I'm working on a website for debating various issues, I've done this kind of thing for a good while. (I think I do okay, but that may be a biased opinion) :p

Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
....I had said that nothing should be forced on a child, including evolution.....
We need to stop forcing math on children too.
And dont get me started on "reading".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
So I'll stand by saying that I think non believers have the upper hand, I think many believers of God and Christians feel backed into a corner, I've seen it.
It's hard to back three-quarters of the people in a room into a corner.
As far as Atheist having the upper hand, I believe this is true for a number of reasons. The amount of believers are on the decrease according to statistics, and our government is becoming more progressive and liberal, for example since 1993 the Democrats have won 5 of the last 6 presidential elections (by popular vote).
All of those winners were Christians, yet their political party somehow trumps that and puts them on the side of atheists...?

Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Some people will come right out and use the word hate, the ones who don't say it but say a number of ugly or hurtful things
I'd say it gives a pretty good idea, especially if they're doing it regularly.

I take it you're aware that for the past 1700 odd years, certain theists in the western world have demonised non-belief by murdering apostates, and all manner of other horrible punishments. And that their religion has been forced upon us for all that time. We had no choice in the matter, if we wished to stay alive and/or have any sort of quality of life.

And you're complaining of internet meanness? Seriously?

What you should be doing is thanking us for leaving it at the intellectual challenge level, and not doing as believers have always done to us.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic

Speaking as an atheist . . .

I do believe that a good science education is vital for improving our society. What I hate (little "h") is the scrapping of good science education in the name of religious ideology. If you receive mean comments, it is people "hating" on you for encouraging poor science education, not hating on God. For that matter, there are plenty of christians who also do not want good science education (i.e. evolution) removed from science classrooms. This isn't an atheist-only club.

What you seem to be confused about is what the disagreements are focused on. I am sure that if the government tried to install Sharia law in your community you would strongly object. Would that mean you hate the Koran or hate Allah, even though you don't believe in those things? Of course not. You hate the laws that are being implemented.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,732.00
Faith
Atheist
“I'll tell you what you did with Atheists for about 1500 years. You outlawed them from the universities or any teaching careers, besmirched their reputations, banned or burned their books or their writings of any kind, drove them into exile, humiliated them, seized their properties, arrested them for blasphemy. You dehumanised them with beatings and exquisite torture, gouged out their eyes, slit their tongues, stretched, crushed, or broke their limbs, tore off their breasts if they were women, crushed their scrotums if they were men, imprisoned them, stabbed them, disembowelled them, hanged them, burnt them alive.

And you have nerve enough to complain to me that I laugh at you.”
― Madalyn Murray O'Hair

Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
What you seem to be confused about is what the disagreements are focused on.

I don't think confusion enters into it. There's a vested interest in believing it's all about the deity. Pretending that others have strong feelings about your preferred god makes him seem more real and more powerful. There is nothing worse (for the believer) than to see your god dismissed like the tooth fairy. That hurts far more than any amount of 'harsh words' spoken in the god's direction. For some, it appears essential to retention of faith to maintain the idea that everyone secretly believes - for good or ill, in love or hate - in your special god.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
“I'll tell you what you did with Atheists for about 1500 years. You outlawed them from the universities or any teaching careers, besmirched their reputations, banned or burned their books or their writings of any kind, drove them into exile, humiliated them, seized their properties, arrested them for blasphemy. You dehumanised them with beatings and exquisite torture, gouged out their eyes, slit their tongues, stretched, crushed, or broke their limbs, tore off their breasts if they were women, crushed their scrotums if they were men, imprisoned them, stabbed them, disembowelled them, hanged them, burnt them alive.

And you have nerve enough to complain to me that I laugh at you.”
― Madalyn Murray O'Hair

Thank you for posting this gem!

Complaining about internet meanies after .... all that .... is beyond obnoxious. Once again, they should be thanking us for doing better.

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

Murby

Feb 4, 2016
USA
✟4,630.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
I was recently on Youtube leaving a reply to a video which suggested teaching creationism is bad for children
In the context of this discussion, that would be correct. Children should not be taught things that have no basis in truth or evidence.

I'm not religious, but I do believe in God.
Umm.. how do I put this politely.. The definition of religion is a belief in God. That's like saying "I'm not a human but I am a man".. Its a ridiculous statement.

I had said that nothing should be forced on a child, including evolution.
Including evolution and???? Religion? I'm down with that.. I'll make you a deal.. We can ban biology from the class room until the age of 18 if we can also ban exposure to religion until the same age.. I think I could agree with that....

I soon got some ugly comments for the message I had left, I also notice this with others as well, a very harsh attitude for those who believe.
Religious followers have been persecuting people since the dawn of religion.. Do you really wonder why some have a harsh attitude toward them? Persecution continues to this day.

You know many of them that do what? Hate something they don't believe in? That's not even possible.. if you don't believe in something, how can you hate it?
I think what you may be referring to is that Atheists hate religion.. They certainly believe that religion does exist (obviously).. They hate what religion turns people into and what its done to society over the years and the negative influences it still has today. How much further advanced do you think society would be today if the Catholic church didn't persecute scientists like Copernicus and Galileo Galilei?

I've always had a problem understanding those who are not okay with others having beliefs that are different. Any ideas, or thoughts?
Having a belief that is different is one thing, persecuting others based on your beliefs is another. Religious followers are notorious for persecuting others, not based on what others believe, but based on what the religious believe. And that's really bad..even in today's world.

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,845.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I was recently on Youtube leaving a reply to a video which suggested teaching creationism is bad for children. I'm not religious, but I do believe in God. I had said that nothing should be forced on a child, including evolution.

Education should be forced on children. A well informed populace that is literate and numerate is vital to the health of any society. That's why it is mandated that our children are educated.

Evolution is the linchpin of modern biology. Its the fundamental, unifying concept. Not teaching evolution is when studying biology is akin to not teaching numerals when studying maths. Evolution is, as it should be, taught in science classes, as it relates to biology.

Creationism is not science. It is religion. It's place is in religious education, not science education. Teaching it in science class is bad for children. Teaching it to the exclusion of our current understanding of cosmology, geology and biology is close to child abuse.

There are hundreds, possibly thousands, of different mythical creation stories that have been invented through human history. Most of them, including the Genesis accounts, are non-falsifiable, non-testable, non-repeatable and make no useful predictions. All of them, from the Australian aboriginal Dream Time stories, to the Sumerian creation dialogues through to the Norse mythologies, are then equally credible. That is to say, not at all.

Therefore, they should either be either restricted to religious classes, Sunday school and other religious-supported educational areas.

I have nothing against teaching children creation stories. I've been a teacher at a private Catholic school and I've assisted with teaching them myself.

What I do have a problem with is teaching children that the creation stories literal and that the well supported and well evidenced theories of modern science are the 'work of the devil', deliberate falsehoods or a conspiracy against believers, as if lying to children will somehow render 250 years of painstaking inquiry into the nature of reality invalid.

Oh you do, do you? You know it. Please tell me, how long have you been able to read the minds of atheists?

Atheism is either the rejection of the existence of deities (hard atheism, or 'no gods exist') or the non-acceptance of the claims of theism (soft atheism, or 'I don't accept the claim that gods exist'). Under either definition, it is impossible to hate gods, because neither accepts the existence of such things.

Believers do accept the existence of gods. It follows then, that it is only believers that are capable of hating gods.

So, maybe you should re-phrase your question, by deleting a single prefix. Then it would make more sense.

Upvote 0