Which Bible verses do Fundementalists hate the most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzn11

Apr 27, 2004
✟7,640.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I always wondered which Bible verses fundementalists must hate the most. I would consider myself to be an orthodox Christian (for example, I believe that homosexuality is wrong), but righ-wing televangelists like Pat Robertson completely miss the point of Jesus' teachings. These seem to me Bible verses they would never quote:

"38"You have heard that it was said, `An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' 39But I say to you, Do not resist one who is evil. But if any one strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also; 40and if any one would sue you and take your coat, let him have your cloak as well; 41and if any one forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42Give to him who begs from you, and do not refuse him who would borrow from you." Matthew 5:38-42

"24Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." Matthew 19:24

"26For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so faith apart from works is dead." James 2:26

and of course, the story of Jesus saving the adulterous woman, and parable of the Pharisee and tax collector.

St. Worm2

May 15, 2004
✟9,271.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know of any Scriptures that Pat Robertson finds disagreeable, but I was listening to his show one day and he mentioned his disdain for some of the words to Martin Luther's, "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God" (particularly lines like "the body they may kill, God's truth abideth still"). He seemed to feel these kind of words were heretical and did harm to the body of Christ. I'm not sure why he thought that, but I am sure I disagree with him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LordsRanger

May 11, 2004
Lafayette, CA
✟15,225.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Bizzlebin Imperatoris said:
Please give the definition of a fundamentalist!
Islamic Jihadites and other radical religious disciplines are examples of fundamentalism.

If you are asking about the root of the word, well, here is the accurate definition in the context of what we are talking about:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=fundamentalism

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
ps139 said:
John 6:55?
Seeing your icon, you must be either playing off of the fish Christian symbol.....or, sad at Trey's most recent announcement.

Just noting the icon, from a Christian "deadhead."....if there is such a thing! ;)

Reactions: ps139
Upvote 0

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟37,907.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
ClementofRome said:
Seeing your icon, you must be either playing off of the fish Christian symbol.....or, sad at Trey's most recent announcement.
I am sad at Trey's most recent announcement. :(
Good guess!!
Hey, if you dont know, Phish is in a battle of the bands right now in the secular music forum, they could sure use your vote~!!

Just noting the icon, from a Christian "deadhead."....if there is such a thing! ;)
I love the Dead, I've liked them since I was 12...not a deadhead though, I dont know enough of their stuff. But I consider myself a Phishhead, and if there can be a Christian phishead then there certainly can be a Christian deadhead~!! :) Glad to find another brother who likes the same music as me, we are few and far between!! :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.