The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Church of Christ (conservative) and Disciples of Christ (liberal) both celebrate weekly Communion, albeit they see it as a memorial/symbolic view. They are from the Stone/Campbell movement which broke away from Presbyterianism. Interesting enough, the original followers did not consider themselves part of a denomination but simply called themselves Christian.

Indeed, that is why I was curious if @Mr. M , you were a member of or were familiar with the Stone/Campbell movement, because given your admirable Eucharistic theology, and your disinterest in denominational division, I got the sense you might either be a member of such a church or like such churches. I will also note the Christian Church/Disciples of Christ are not necessarily liberal, rather they tend to reflect the prevailing political sentiments of where they are located, but the Churches of Christ are usually strongly conservative. Both groups, especially the Churches of Christ, tend to reject the idea that they are a denomination, but unlike a typical non-denominational evangelical church, they do observe a weekly Eucharist. The idea of Stone and Campbell was to try and restore unity and overcome denominational division through local churches united around the celebration of the Eucharist. I myself am Orthodox but I strongly admire their perspective, just as I really appreciate what you have to say on the Eucharist.

I would be very interested in knowing if you have found any individual churches, largely because you espouse a set of values I am particularly pleased to see. However I don’t want to discuss this if it would make you at all uncomfortable, and so, please forgive me if my initial post seemed overly inquisitive. I just really greatly appreciate your Eucharistic perspective, even more so if you have no specific background with Stone/Campbell - the existence of someone like you who cares about the Eucharist gives me hope for the future.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,600.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Indeed, that is why I was curious if @Mr. M , you were a member of or were familiar with the Stone/Campbell movement, because given your admirable Eucharistic theology, and your disinterest in denominational division, I got the sense you might either be a member of such a church or like such churches. I will also note the Christian Church/Disciples of Christ are not necessarily liberal, rather they tend to reflect the prevailing political sentiments of where they are located, but the Churches of Christ are usually strongly conservative. Both groups, especially the Churches of Christ, tend to reject the idea that they are a denomination, but unlike a typical non-denominational evangelical church, they do observe a weekly Eucharist. The idea of Stone and Campbell was to try and restore unity and overcome denominational division through local churches united around the celebration of the Eucharist. I myself am Orthodox but I strongly admire their perspective, just as I really appreciate what you have to say on the Eucharist.

I would be very interested in knowing if you have found any individual churches, largely because you espouse a set of values I am particularly pleased to see. However I don’t want to discuss this if it would make you at all uncomfortable, and so, please forgive me if my initial post seemed overly inquisitive. I just really greatly appreciate your Eucharistic perspective, even more so if you have no specific background with Stone/Campbell - the existence of someone like you who cares about the Eucharist gives me hope for the future.
I only truly feel the Lord's pleasure with the breaking of bread in a small group home setting. But more importantly, when those attending are committed to open hearted fellowship, to share, to confess when necessary, to pray, to heal. This is my understanding of "with purpose of heart, we cleave unto the Lord" Acts 11:23.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I only truly feel the Lord's pleasure with the breaking of bread in a small group home setting. But more importantly, when those attending are committed to open hearted fellowship, to share, to confess when necessary, to pray, to heal. This is my understanding of "with purpose of heart, we cleave unto the Lord" Acts 11:23.

Well I certainly know how you feel. I think open-hearted, loving fellowship is extremely important, and I think you perhaps might agree with me that the Eucharist among other things helps unite people into such a fellowship, underscoring its role as communion.

Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,600.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Well I certainly know how you feel. I think open-hearted, loving fellowship is extremely important, and I think you perhaps might agree with me that the Eucharist among other things helps unite people into such a fellowship, underscoring its role as communion.
I am convinced that our obedience to the COMMAND to do this in remembrance of me is what ushers in the Holy Spirit Anointing over the meeting. Otherwise, it is no different than an AA meeting which is but a worldly imitation.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
young-latin-woman-shouting-aggressively-with-angry-expression-with-fists-clenched-celebrating-...jpg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.