What does keeping the Sabbath mean?

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I know what the OP said. He also brought up other issues besides that, which I quoted, which he stated he'd like to discuss. So you saying that He didn't say he didn't want to discuss the when/how is incorrect. He may not have stated it in the OP, but he did state it, which is why I have a problem with the idea about this thread. It isn't going to be a place to discuss the sabbath, but yet a place to bash it, yet again.
So far what I read is your unwillingness to discuss the sabbath in any meaningful way. I really think it is something else you do not want to bring in the open.

Maybe Frogster is right. See post 2 or 3.

bugkiller

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So far what I read is your unwillingness to discust the sabbath in any meaningful way. I really think it is somethingelse you do not want to bring in the open.

Maybe Frogster is right. See post 2 or 3.

bugkiller

If you take a look at the history of sabbath conversations on this forum, they are hardly "meaningful". But what's to be expected when the majority are set on tearing it down?

I've added to the thread in regards to the OP. The sabbath means rest.

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It is mostly SDA and Mj who post here. As far as I know only one person has said they are neither but use SDA lingo and habit patterns in their presentation.

bugkiller

That is true. My response was in regards to those overall who keep the sabbath.

Upvote 0

tzadik

Follower of the Messiah
Nov 16, 2011
Grafted into the Olive Tree
✟13,508.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I said in my response, it means 'set apart'. Do you have a problem with that?
The rest of your commentary is spin..
No spinning necessary.
So now that we can agree that God set the seventh day apart for a special purpose. My next question is, for what purpose did God set the seventh day apart?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is mostly SDA and Mj who post here. As far as I know only one person has said they are neither but use SDA lingo and habit patterns in their presentation.

bugkiller
:D
What kind of lingo do the SDAs use?

Upvote 0

tzadik

Follower of the Messiah
Nov 16, 2011
Grafted into the Olive Tree
✟13,508.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married

8. "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9. "Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
10. but the seventh day is a sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you.
11. "For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.

Why is it sooooo hard for Christians today to simply admit that the Sabbath day, is not a Jewish day, but God's day. It was from the very first 7th day, and it forever will be God's Holy Day.

It's as if they are blinded by EVERY SINGLE passage where God explicitly calls it MY HOLY DAY!

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
You sir have gone to prove my point. This thread isn't about what it means to keep the sabbath. It's about what Adventists teach. The 3 angels message, mark of the beast, etc, are irrelevant to this thread so why bring them up? Were I to mention that you have no place to speak about "what the bible says" given you don't believe in a 7 day creation (as the scripture says) but a billion year process, you'd say that has nothing to do with anything wouldn't you? You disagree with our doctrine. It is what it is. But I believe firmly in it and am quite simply tired of seeing it treated as such by so many "loving" Christians.
I have tried my bestest to police threads in the past and only landed in jail for my attempts.

It is futile as even the mods know to keep a thread on track. This goes for almost any forum I have ever read or participated in. One of the problems I see is you take way to much personally and can not detatch yourself enought to discuss the subject. Not a real great issue for one of your position.

I have not read all this thread yet. I have been working.

bugkiller

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

8. "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9. "Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
10. but the seventh day is a sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you.
11. "For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.

Why is it sooooo hard for Christians today to simply admit that the Sabbath day, is not a Jewish day, but God's day. It was from the very first 7th day, and it forever will be God's Holy Day.

It's as if they are blinded by EVERY SINGLE passage where God explicitly calls it MY HOLY DAY!

Good question.

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I have tried my bestest to police threads in the past and only landed in jail for my attempts.

It is futile as even the mods know to keep a thread on track. This goes for almost any forum I have ever read or participated in. One of the problems I see is you take way to much personally and can not detatch yourself enought to discuss the subject. Not a real great issue for one of your position.

I have not read all this thread yet. I have been working.

bugkiller

Why wouldn't I take it personal? It's a part of who I am. I love my God and I love His law. Telling me not to take it personal would be like telling me not to take someone trash talking my parent's rules for their house personal.

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I read your response and respectfully disagree. To keep it simple, there are many things Christians agree must be done to be saved. Sabbath keeping is simply something that the majority doesn't hold to, and as such, assumes mustn't be an issue. Should someone say otherwise then it suddenly becomes a work of the flesh. Interestingly enough, honoring your parents, worshiping God, forgiving, caring for the sick, etc, aren't works of the flesh, but sabbath keeping is? There are simply too many inconsistencies in that line of logic.
So why is sabbath keeping an issue?

The rest of the things you bring up are not related to the topic. Those things are not necessarilly works of the flesh or the law. You demand anything that is similar to keeping the law as following the law. Paul shows this to not be the case in Romans 1-3.

bugkiller

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So why is sabbath keeping an issue?

The rest of the things you bring up are not related to the topic. Those things are not necessarilly works of the flesh or the law. You demand anything that is similar to keeping the law as following the law. Paul shows this to not be the case in Romans 1-3.

bugkiller

It's an issue because many a person has their foot smack dab on it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
One never finishes studying the bible. You can study it for years and still be incorrect on certain matters of faith/doctrine. Thus we must continue to study so that all darkness will be swept away by the Light of God's truth.
I can buy into that.
What I don't wish is to continue to see the same people go back and forth about the sabbath. It hurts my heart to see such blatant disrespect for God's law coupled with a false pretense of wanting to know the truth.
You choose to read and participate. I did not force such on you. So why not get with the program or drop out?
No attitude at all. And you did say the following did you not?
Really? Wonder if anyone besides me and LLoJ picked this up yet?
In this statement, unless I'm misunderstanding you, you'd like to discuss these subjects as well. If you don't, then I'm curious as to why you would mention them. Please correct any mistakes I made in understanding what you were saying here.
Those are not subjects, but part of the subject.

bugkiller

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I can buy into that.

Sorry to hear that

You choose to read and participate. I did not force such on you. So why not get with the program or drop out?

I responded to the OP.

Really? Wonder if anyone besides me and LLoJ picked this up yet?

You seem to find things to pick up all on your own.

Those are not subjects, but part of the subject.

bugkiller

I'm sorry but that doesn't make sense. They may not be the main topic, but you did say you wanted to talk about them. I was simply pointing that out.

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It means "resting" in Christ. HE is our "Sabbath". He is our "Rest". There is no "rest" but in Him. The entire Bible points to Him as our "Sabbath". We are in "un-rest" no more. We find our rest in the Prince of Peace. He is our "Peace". There is no "un-rest" in the midst of "Peace". They cannot co-exist.

This just begs a study on Genesis. Especially where it is written that God "rested".
Nice post.

bugkiller

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
SDA teach that you cant be saved if you dont keep the sabbath. Do you have scriptures that teach that? It's a secret to most that SDA outreach is primarily to Sunday worshippers.
I think that would clearly fall with in the parameters of my OP.

bugkiller

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Let me spin is this way...

~First Sabbath Day~
Genesis 2:2-3
2. By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.
3. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

Does anyone know what it means for God to sanctify something (in this case a day)?
How do you arrive at your conclusion to the passage you quoted?

bugkiller

Upvote 0