bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I want to know the answer to the title question.

I also wnat to know how this is arrived at according to Scripture.

I am sure I will have questions for the responses.

Thank you kindly for your answers.

bugkiller
There is a whole list of things “normal” Jews were to do, but today Christians are not “normal” Jews. Christians are part of the “priesthood” and the priest had to and could do a lot of stuff on the Sabbath.

For the most part the priest did more worship stuff on the Sabbath than they did on all the other days.

Worship is not work and the priest were not being paid to worship, but were given money from the tripe of Levi, so they could worship all the time 24/7. If the ratio of priest to other Jews had remained the same from the time of Moses, it would have been very hard for the priest to do all he was suppose to be doing for the rest of the Jews in just 24 hours per day, but God could help with that.

Christians are to keep the Sabbath like the Priests of the OT kept the Sabbath in active worship all day every day and not “working” for sell. Everything we do is to be done in response to God’s commands and as such can be offered up to God as worship. This is not just like the Year of Jubilee in which there was a Sabbath year but we are in the Age of Jubilee, so every day is a Sabbath rest (day full of worship.)

Upvote 0

tzadik

Follower of the Messiah
Nov 16, 2011
Grafted into the Olive Tree
✟13,508.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I once felt the same way as you do and still do but my perspective has changed. I surely dont think anyone should hate the Torah, that's not good in my opinion. Im not sure what everyone here believes but some are not always saying what they believe about obeying Gods will because they have an idea that it condemns or something which i don't agree with necessarily, they also believe that we are free from the law and i do agree with that. We are not free from submitting to Gods will though. Some see Gods will in the things the apostles teach us but they don't see it in Law because the law contains over 600 laws and that is what we have liberty from in my opinion. And Gentiles were never given those 600 laws anyway, the apostles gave them a set of rules though that teach what Gods will is, such as abstaining from sexual immorality, covetous idolatry, pride and dishonesty. Also many think that we must obey from the heart and not from the letter, its true that we must obey from the heart, but i think the only way to do this is by abiding in the Lord and the only way to do that is submitting to Gods will. We cant hope to abide in Christ without first repenting and acknowledging our sinful heart and abstaining from things of the flesh that i mentioned already.

What if I were to tell you that the Scriptures are clear that the Torah of God, is the revelation of God's will to His children?
That the Torah of God contains the very character of God...

Think about it, God gave His Torah to Israel, at a time when the entire world was pagan, following their own ways, seeking their own pleasures--without hope and without God.

Israel was to in turn use the Torah of God, to be a light to the nations. Through His Torah, God revealed Himself, His Character, prophesied the Messiah and gave His people an instruction manual for righteous living.

Now tell me, why would anyone need to be freed from God's loving instruction manual for righteous living??? Why do Christians feel the need to be "set free", from God's Holy Instructions?

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟98,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Scripture doesn't tell us ANYWHERE else that God rested any other days.
Day as in singular, not days as in plural, read the script....
Gen 2:2And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
Gen 2:3And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

It's a stunt to say more than the script.

Not sure what you're trying to prove by that "non-mention."
The non mentionable is you implying that God sabbaths every seventh day or that man was able to rest with God. Give me a break with that false doctrine. The text says that God rested because He was finished with all His work. The text clarify the God ended all His work.

All we've got is God resting and setting the example of resting on the very first seventh day, and subsequently sanctifying the first 7th day for a specific purpose.
That's a false teaching.
Messiah tells us that the Sabbath was created for man :)
That text is misapplied, because the sabbath was created for Israel not Adam.

have you EVER kept even one Sabbath? If you have you'd understand what Messiah meant with the Sabbath was created for man! The 7th day is by far the most amazing day of the week (to me and many I know)! :thumbsup:
Yes

Upvote 0

weathered

Jul 22, 2012
✟9,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What if I were to tell you that the Scriptures are clear that the Torah of God, is the revelation of God's will to His children?
That the Torah of God contains the very character of God...

Think about it, God gave His Torah to Israel, at a time when the entire world was pagan, following their own ways, seeking their own pleasures--without hope and without God.

Israel was to in turn use the Torah of God, to be a light to the nations. Through His Torah, God revealed Himself, His Character, prophesied the Messiah and gave His people an instruction manual for righteous living.

Now tell me, why would anyone need to be freed from God's loving instruction manual for righteous living??? Why do Christians feel the need to be "set free", from God's Holy Instructions?

Well i must you then, do keep the whole torah? Do you actually live by over 600 laws? Is that the yoke of Christ that is supposed to be light and easy to burden? Do you not see where the apostles teach against observing circumcision and food laws?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am just confused as to how a person can hate the Torah, but love the God who gave it to him and told him. I don't mean that as any kind of attack, but just an expression of my confusion. If you love God, shouldn't a person desire to do all that God says to do? I think that this is the entire crux of the conversation, really.....
:eek:
You are not the only one! :)

Genesis 11:7 "Come let Us go down and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another's speech."

bush-confusion.jpg

Dazed And Confused-Led Zeppelin - YouTube

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

weathered

Jul 22, 2012
✟9,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
:eek:
You are not the only one! :)

It should be said that those who observe the apostles teaching but not moses teaching are abeying all that God has commanded, they are obeying what the apostles teach and they teach gentiles not to observe Torah but only to obey what they themselves teach. That is obeying God as far as a gentile is concerned.

Upvote 0

tzadik

Follower of the Messiah
Nov 16, 2011
✟13,508.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Day as in singular, not days as in plural, read the script....
Gen 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. [/COLOR]
Gen 2:3[/COLOR][/URL]And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

It's a stunt to say more than the script.
Wow. Touchy touchy :) You said nothing different then what I said. Scripture doesn’t give any reference to God resting any other days, plural or singular! No need to make a rocket-science deal about it.

The non mentionable is you implying that God sabbaths every seventh day
I NEVER implied or said anything about God “sabbathing” any day, other than the first 7th day. Tsk tsk tsk…false accusations. It’s not becoming my friend.

or that man was able to rest with God.
LOL, what?! When did I say THAT?

Give me a break with that false doctrine.
That you made up.

The text says that God rested because He was finished with all His work. The text clarify the God ended all His work.
<shrug> not sure why you are recounting this to me.

That's a false teaching.
False teaching? Read Exodus 20 and you’ll see that it says exactly what I just stated. God sanctified the 7th day from the very first 7th day, and commanded His people to remember it and keep it set apart! 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 SABBATH, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, SABBATH :)

That text is misapplied, because the sabbath was created for Israel not Adam.
According to your understanding. This verse alone blows that understanding out of the water. So does Isaiah 56. The Sabbath day was created for God’s people! It’s God’s Holy Day for His Holy people.

Yes to what?

Upvote 0

tzadik

Follower of the Messiah
Nov 16, 2011
✟13,508.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
It should be said that those who observe the apostles teaching but not moses teaching are abeying all that God has commanded, they are obeying what the apostles teach and they teach gentiles not to observe Torah but only to obey what they themselves teach. That is obeying God as far as a gentile is concerned.

WOW.

In a nutshell what you are saying is that..although Messiah tells us in Matthew 4:4 that the believer is to live by EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDS out of the mouth of God...
and that the APOSTLES told us in 2 Timothy 3:16-17 that ALL SCRIPTURE (including the Torah--actually at this point it was only in reference to the "OT Scriptures") is profitable for instruction, correction, reproof and training in righteousness....

YOU believe that you can only adhere to the "NT" and you'd be obedient to God????

Upvote 0

tzadik

Follower of the Messiah
Nov 16, 2011
✟13,508.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
There is a whole list of things “normal” Jews were to do, but today Christians are not “normal” Jews. Christians are part of the “priesthood” and the priest had to and could do a lot of stuff on the Sabbath.

For the most part the priest did more worship stuff on the Sabbath than they did on all the other days.

Worship is not work and the priest were not being paid to worship, but were given money from the tripe of Levi, so they could worship all the time 24/7. If the ratio of priest to other Jews had remained the same from the time of Moses, it would have been very hard for the priest to do all he was suppose to be doing for the rest of the Jews in just 24 hours per day, but God could help with that.

Christians are to keep the Sabbath like the Priests of the OT kept the Sabbath in active worship all day every day and not “working” for sell. Everything we do is to be done in response to God’s commands and as such can be offered up to God as worship. This is not just like the Year of Jubilee in which there was a Sabbath year but we are in the Age of Jubilee, so every day is a Sabbath rest (day full of worship.)

what about work 6 days, rest and hallow the 7th?

Upvote 0

tzadik

Follower of the Messiah
Nov 16, 2011
✟13,508.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Well i must you then, do keep the whole torah?
I keep all the Torah that is applicable to me today, outside of the Temple, outside of the land, and outside of a Theocratic judicial system. All of these will be restored upon His return! :thumbsup:

Do you actually live by over 600 laws?
not sure if you’ve actually studied the Torah, if you did you’d see that at the end of the day, as a male, non-nazarite, outside of the land, with no access to the Temple, the commandments in the 1st 5 books sum up to about 250+. Did you know that there are over 1,000 ‘commands’ in the “NT”? :)

Is that the yoke of Christ that is supposed to be light and easy to burden?
Messiah kept the Torah, told us to keep even the least commandments, and told us to be follow Him. You tell me.

Do you not see where the apostles teach against observing circumcision and food laws?
The apostles NOWHERE teach against Leviticus 11 or Deuteronomy 14. Trust me, I used to be on your side too.
Paul taught against circumcision for the wrong reasons, and circumcision without proper understanding of the commandment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I like the way you talk :thumbsup:

Their own accuser will be Moses. [I highly recommend that one study on on the Covenantle parable Jesus spoke in Luke 16... IMHO]

John 5:45 "Do not think that I shall accuse you to the Father;
there is [one] who accuses you -- Moses, in whom you trust.

Lazarus and the Rich Man - Here a little, there a little - Commentary

LUKE 16:30 "And he said, 'No father Abraham!;
but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.'
31 But he answered to him, "If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead".

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

weathered

Jul 22, 2012
✟9,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
WOW.

In a nutshell what you are saying is that..although Messiah tells us in Matthew 4:4 that the believer is to live by EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDS out of the mouth of God...
and that the APOSTLES told us in 2 Timothy 3:16-17 that ALL SCRIPTURE (including the Torah--actually at this point it was only in reference to the "OT Scriptures") is profitable for instruction, correction, reproof and training in righteousness....

YOU believe that you can only adhere to the "NT" and you'd be obedient to God????

May i suggest that you may not be living on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God? I'm not condemning you just trying to open your eyes like you are trying to do for me.

1Co_14:37

All scripture is profitable, including what paul teaches.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I want to know the answer to the title question.

I also wnat to know how this is arrived at according to Scripture.

I am sure I will have questions for the responses.

Thank you kindly for your answers.

bugkiller

R.C Sproul points out that both Puritans and Calvinists admit that Sabbath is to be kept by Christians today not only by observing the Lev 23 command to meet for holy convocation, and not only by the Ex 20:8-11 command against work - (and to keep it holy) but also kept according to the Isaiah 58 command.

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tzadik

Follower of the Messiah
Nov 16, 2011
✟13,508.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
May i suggest that you may not be living on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God? I'm not condemning you just trying to open your eyes like you are trying to do for me.

1Co_14:37

All scripture is profitable, including what paul teaches.

"If anyone thinks he is a prophet or spiritual, let him recognize that the things which I write to you are the Lord's commandment."

What does that have to do with obeying, keeping and following God's Torah?

See I look at Scriptures like the Bereans in Acts 17:11.
Everything that is taught, by even Paul must be compared to what was written before in the Holy Scriptures :)
If it agrees, then accept it as truth, if not, throw it away.

Is this the way you look at Scriptures?

sidenote: this is the way Paul looks at Scriptures :) (Acts 24:14)

Upvote 0

tzadik

Follower of the Messiah
Nov 16, 2011
✟13,508.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I know you mean well, but If we are going to say that all scripture being profitable means we must obey OT law then we may as well be pharisees and start getting circumcised.

Are you telling me that you don't agree with Paul's teaching in 2 Timothy 3:16-17?
You just finished telling me that you believe and obey the apostles' teaching~

Upvote 0

weathered

Jul 22, 2012
✟9,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
"If anyone thinks he is a prophet or spiritual, let him recognize that the things which I write to you are the Lord's commandment."

What does that have to do with obeying, keeping and following God's Torah?

See I look at Scriptures like the Bereans in Acts 17:11.
Everything that is taught, by even Paul must be compared to what was written before in the Holy Scriptures :)
If it agrees, then accept it as truth, if not, throw it away.

Is this the way you look at Scriptures?

sidenote: this is the way Paul looks at Scriptures :) (Acts 24:14)

Because Paul doesn't put the Torah on gentiles, we are not to put that yoke on their neck, that is one of the lords commandment that you are not obeying. Every word of God and everything he commands we obey, the command is to keep it simple brother.

Upvote 0

tzadik

Follower of the Messiah
Nov 16, 2011
✟13,508.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Because Paul doesn't put the Torah on gentiles, we are not to put that yoke on their neck, that is one of the lords commandment that you are not obeying. Every word of God and everything he commands we obey, the command is to keep it simple brother.

Question: is Paul teaching the 5th commandment in Ephesians 2? (to a Gentile congregation at that?)
What about in Romans 2:22, and Romans 13:9, isn't Paul teaching a Gentile congregation the 7th, 6th, 8th and 10th commandment from the Torah. And also the commandment from the Torah to love your neighbor like yourself? (Lev 19:34)
I thought the Gentiles were to be kept "Torah free"...

I think it's time you recheck your teachings...

Upvote 0

weathered

Jul 22, 2012
✟9,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Are you telling me that you don't agree with Paul's teaching in 2 Timothy 3:16-17?
You just finished telling me that you believe and obey the apostles' teaching~

Yes i agree with that scripture and im showing how i am using all doctrine that i have learned so far, you are failing to use a part of it and that is what i am bringing to your attention. What you think im doing is what you are actually doing yourself, without knowing it.

Upvote 0