Was Rick Perry right on guns at the movies?

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I always think when these horrific mass shootings occur, 'what if just ONE person had been carrying a gun?':(
You assumption is that nobody had a gun.
Your other assumption is that ANYONE who has a gun is willing to kill someone.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm talking about a situation in which multiple armed individuals are present, but only one of them is the bad guy. I don't know why it is assumed that, in such a situation, it would be clear who the bad guy really is. What happens when a good guy pulls out a gun to shoot the bad guy and is shot by another good guy who thinks that he is with the bad guy?

Can you cite a situation in the news where that has happened?

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I always think when these horrific mass shootings occur, 'what if just ONE person had been carrying a gun?':(
I always think, what if there were just one fewer person with a gun there?

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you cite a situation in the news where that has happened?
IIRC, it almost happened a few years ago when a gunman shot up a mall. One of the victims had a gun, drew it out, and said he almost shot at another victim who he thought was the perpetrator but realized at the last moment he was wrong. IIRC, what stopped that shooter were people rushing and tackling the shooter.

There's really not many situations in which there's a mass shooter and someone in the crowd with a gun and enough time to react.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
IIRC, it almost happened a few years ago when a gunman shot up a mall. One of the victims had a gun, drew it out, and said he almost shot at another victim who he thought was the perpetrator but realized at the last moment he was wrong. IIRC, what stopped that shooter were people rushing and tackling the shooter.

There's really not many situations in which there's a mass shooter and someone in the crowd with a gun and enough time to react.

That's because all mass shootings in the U.S. in the past few decades (except one) have occurred in "gun free" zones, where most law-abiding gun owners don't carry.

And "almost" doesn't count for much.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
That's because all mass shootings in the U.S. in the past few decades (except one) have occurred in "gun free" zones, where most law-abiding gun owners don't carry.

And "almost" doesn't count for much.
As I mentioned, huge swaths of the developed world are "gun free" zones and yet y'all have more shootings in your gun free zones than anyone else.

Upvote 0

zippy2

Jul 18, 2015
Texas
✟15,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm pretty sure no shooter has ever claimed to have chosen his shooting site because it was a gun free zone.

Pretty sure don't cut it. Sorry. Think 'school shootings'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As I mentioned, huge swaths of the developed world are "gun free" zones and yet y'all have more shootings in your gun free zones than anyone else.

The history and mindset of the American people is unique in world history. Most places in the world have populations who are used to jumping when a government authority whistles. In contrast to these whipped dogs, the American colonies had to take care of themselves while England sparred with other European governments. When the king finally got back to whistling, we told him where to shove it.

In colonial Virginia, a law required colonists to bring their guns to church to guard against Indian (Native American) attacks.

Some Virginians still carry guns in church. o_O

Reactions: Faith.Man
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm pretty sure no shooter has ever claimed to have chosen his shooting site because it was a gun free zone.

Actually, the Colorado theater shooter passed by several nearby theaters to reach one where guns were not allowed...

Upvote 0

zippy2

Jul 18, 2015
Texas
✟15,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You assumption is that nobody had a gun.
Your other assumption is that ANYONE who has a gun is willing to kill someone.

If they are not willing they should not be carrying. Guns are not playthings to 'scare' bad guys. They are weapons to take the bad guys out.

Upvote 0

zippy2

Jul 18, 2015
Texas
✟15,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The history and mindset of the American people is unique in world history. Most places in the world have populations who are used to jumping when a government authority whistles. In contrast to these whipped dogs, the American colonies had to take care of themselves while England sparred with other European governments. When the king finally got back to whistling, we told him where to shove it.

In colonial Virginia, a law required colonists to bring their guns to church to guard against Indian (Native American) attacks.

Some Virginians still carry guns in church. o_O
Well said.

God bless Virginia!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Actually, the Colorado theater shooter passed by several nearby theaters to reach one where guns were not allowed...

And?

No offense, but that guy is obviously crazy...and to my knowledge he never once said he wanted a gun-free zone.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
How many theatre shootouts have you been involved in to have such expertise on how it would go down? Even if you have such expertise, how many other people who would be carrying in such a situation would have the same expertise?

Upvote 0