Was Rick Perry right on guns at the movies?

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
"Texas Gov. Rick Perry called "gun free zones" a bad idea, saying that movie-goers should be allowed to attend while carrying arms"

The opinion of the commenter is that a movie theater is a very risky place to have a gun battle. Any public place is. It is dark, the shooter might be moving, there might be another CCW person returning fire, people might get in the way in panic.

First shots, people near the shooter will scramble away, usually there is only 2 directions in most theaters which they can run due to the seats. Most people will run away from the shooter. So only the person that ducked down first could be in the way. So a clear foreground would be probable, background is a different story.
Most of the theaters I go to are small and I usually sit in the middle. So the greatest distance I would have to shoot would be 10 rows or probably 6-8 seats. Distance is not going to be a problem, typical shooting scenario less than 10-15 yards (30-45feet). Low light is a problem, it is a very unique experience. (very good for the laser sites)
The first shots will be seared into your brain, you know where the shooter is. So if someone else shoots, you either have two shooters or another person trying to take down the original shooter. Mass shooters tend to shoot anything that moves, so if it is quiet, they are either reloading or moving to find more targets. Otherwise they will shoot as they move, so you know where they are.
Spray and pray is bad shooting, you tend to waste ammo, you will probably run out of ammo before the shooter(since the shooter planned on spraying ammo to harm as many as possible). Also every bullet you shoot is a liability to you. Potential million dollar settlement for each one. You want to be sure you hit the shooter with most.
It might also be safer to call for the shooter to put down his gun, not that he/she will, but to let others know you're a defender not an aggressor. Do not announce yourself as law enforcement(unless you are), this is a felony. That said, there is no honor in war, if you are the person behind the shooter, and you know he is a mass shooter and he doesn't instantly turn to shoot you, cap him/her in the head. If you are sure there is no reason for this person to shoot someone, kill them without hesitation, because he/she will do the same to you when they realize you are behind them.

Gun free zones are a neon sign to mass killers, that this is a large group of people with little or no chance of the people having a means to defend themselves. They can push the body count up quickly while the police are probably 10-15 minutes away.
Also strip malls and large shopping malls tend to be gun free, which is also where recruitment centers are located. So shooters are relatively safe if the military hasn't armed their centers. Military targets are more common for terror wannabe's.

The fewer places people can't carry, the less likely a mass shooter will have time to get the body count up to gain them fame. (why I refer to mass shooters by the date of their event, not their name.) They want to die, but they want people to know who they were. Stop making them famous and they will stop trying to take as many people with them as they can.

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Or they could just put a metal detector at the entrance and have an armed guard standing by. That would probably be a safer bet and be cheaper and easier than dealing with the collateral damage of a Wild West shoutout in a crowded theater.

This is so stupid... You don't even have the First Amendment when you're in a theater. What makes you think you can have The Second?

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The movie theater are usually dark and crowded. I'm not getting how someone can easily return fire in a movie theater. So I'm not getting how a gun would be good. Unless someone with a gun. Knew how not to panic and shoot a lot of innocent people. Also it's not like we have shootings every day in them. If a place becomes a problem. Maybe every one should have fire detectors and security guards.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most of the time you don't know if people carry or not. I highly doubt the signs stop anyone personally. If they want to carry - they will carry. I personally don't see the reasoning behind the signs, and they do make me giggle. I mean I wonder how many criminals, and mass shooters decided to go elsewhere due to them. I mean, "OH! Gun Free Zone! I go to the next place that has no sticker on the window so I can shoot someone!" How dumb.

It's a feel good thing to do, but it really means nothing. Heck, I don't even own guns and I grasp that!

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,610.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
"Gun free zones" are not neon signs for mass murders. Most of Canada is, essentially, one big gun free zone and we REALLY don't have a lot of mass murders. Most of Europe, ditto.

"Gun free zones" are not the problem in America. It seems no one really knows what the problem is though.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,610.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Most of the time you don't know if people carry or not. I highly doubt the signs stop anyone personally. If they want to carry - they will carry. I personally don't see the reasoning behind the signs, and they do make me giggle. I mean I wonder how many criminals, and mass shooters decided to go elsewhere due to them. I mean, "OH! Gun Free Zone! I go to the next place that has no sticker on the window so I can shoot someone!" How dumb.

It's a feel good thing to do, but it really means nothing. Heck, I don't even own guns and I grasp that!
Call me a cynic but I'm not convinced people who are NOT mass murderers pay attention to those signs either 100% of the time.

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
EVERYBODY should carry! The bigger the weapon the better! Then if anyone dares to shoot first EVERYBODY in the area will get mowed down! Continue this for a while and viola! Gun violence gone.

A win/win for EVERYBODY, right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know that is NOT what I was saying stamperben. I haven't ever shot gun nor held one.

That argument is about as dumb as thinking the signs will help with the shootings. Prior to the signs people in general never knew when a person carried a concealed gun, and sticker gives them a false sense of security.

The large city by us claims 'gun control' laws will fix the notorious gang problem we have. Problem is their 'gun control' laws don't deal with the illegal gun trade that the gangs participate in, and so to me their new laws are only feel good ones. Politicians in general are lazy as far as truly addressing problems, and are smooth talkers with their laws telling individuals that they have in fact DONE something to fix the gang problem with the gun control laws.

Today, you can go about something the right way...and if one person gets their nose out of joint? We don't look at the big picture, but instead whine constantly about the person's circumstance in question. When you have leaders that can't seem to communicate the bigger picture, and something that will help the overall GOOD for the community? They are out for the power, image, money, and as long as people continue to buy into their line of BS...the gangs will continue to kill in record numbers.

So, the stickers that tell people no guns are about dumb as those telling everyone GET ONE so you will be safer. Once upon a time those used to be extremists. Now - depending on the politic lean - one side is acceptable and the other side is a bunch of monsters. The rational middle section? They don't make headlines juicy enough...and are ignored completely.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I know that is NOT what I was saying stamperben. I haven't ever shot gun nor held one.
Sorry for any confusion but my comment was not directed at you. It was my general statement on the OP and what Perry suggested.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
lol ask the gangs in the inner cities!
I'm talking about a situation in which multiple armed individuals are present, but only one of them is the bad guy. I don't know why it is assumed that, in such a situation, it would be clear who the bad guy really is. What happens when a good guy pulls out a gun to shoot the bad guy and is shot by another good guy who thinks that he is with the bad guy?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm talking about a situation in which multiple armed individuals are present, but only one of them is the bad guy. I don't know why it is assumed that, in such a situation, it would be clear who the bad guy really is. What happens when a good guy pulls out a gun to shoot the bad guy and is shot by another good guy who thinks that he is with the bad guy?
Well that's just the cost of freedom, my friend... People in other countries only dream of being able to get into a Wild West style shootout in a movie theater. We here in America are just so spoiled with all of our freedoms, we don't even know how good we got it! :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Well that's just the cost of freedom, my friend... People in other countries only dream of being able to get into a Wild West style shootout in a movie theater. We here in America are just so spoiled with all of our freedoms, we don't even know how good we got it! :oldthumbsup:
The solution is guns, more guns, always guns. Anything less would be unpatriotic!

Upvote 0