STL, MO
✟18,344.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You are a much better ambassador for christianity than most I have met.

That's interesting because I was raised Atheist, my mom thinks trees have souls, my step dad made me burn my first bible, my brother laughs at my faith, my sister just goes to church cause the "choir is fun" and my extended family is Irish Cathoic and had absolutely no influence on my faith. In fact I never even knew who Jesus was until my early teens (14-15), except some weird guy we base our calendar on.

And my Dad is Gay.

How's that for irony?

Upvote 0

dawnsday

Senior Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
STL, MO
✟18,344.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Oh, but if you hadn't noticed, i'm not a fan of "christianity" the religion.

I love Jesus with all my heart though. I pray He leads these people out of hatred and into the heart of love. Or gives them a swift kick where it counts, if that's the only way they will listen. (He has often had to give me a swift kick for my idiocy, as well...)

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
That's interesting because I was raised Atheist, my mom thinks trees have souls, my step dad made me burn my first bible, my brother laughs at my faith, my sister just goes to church cause the "choir is fun" and my extended family is Irish Cathoic and had absolutely no influence on my faith. In fact I never even knew who Jesus was until my early teens (14-15), except some weird guy we base our calendar on.

And my Dad is Gay.

How's that for irony?

Wow, that's different. :D

Upvote 0
C

ChaliceThunder

Upvote 0
C

ChaliceThunder

Gays will raise a child to believe that their lifestyle is appropriate. This will conflict with and most likely lead a child away from Christianity.
Christ was very clear about the penalty for such things in Matthew 18:6.
You have nothing to back this up.

Millions and millions of gay Christian parents are going to have to school you on this one!

Upvote 0
C

ChaliceThunder

Tolerance comes right out of hell. Christians are followers of Christ. Christ was not tollerant, he was forgiving, loving, kind and a bunch of other things like that. But not tolerant.
To be tolerant one would need to be self focused, it's not hurting me so why care. Christians are others focused, like Jesus. Jesus was not tolerant of sin, he died to take it away as a barrier between man and God.
That's not tolerance, that's intolerance.

Jesus said: go and make followers, baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, and............teach them my ways.

Jesus did not sin, his ways are not tolerant of sin.

I see this often. Christian intolerance.......that's right, we will be dragged in front of rullers and beaten and killed for the Name of Jesus.

The road is narrow, it's not tolerant, not at all.

If you want to talk about secular laws, then do so. but learn something about Christians before you talk about them.
The only people he did not tolerate were the religious lawyers and those who turned the Temple into a market place.

He was plenty tolerant with many a broken spirit.

Upvote 0
C

ChaliceThunder

This song...(i know I'm being lame)...pretty much sums up my feelings on "christians" who act like this:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It's crowded in worship today
As she slips in trying to fade into the faces
The girls teasing laughter is
carrying farther than they know
Farther than they know
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But if we are the body
Why aren't His arms reaching?
Why aren't His hands healing?
Why aren't His words teaching?
And if we are the body
Why aren't His feet going?
Why is His love not showing them there is a way?
There is a way
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A traveler is far away from home
He sheds his coat and quietly sinks into the back row
The weight of their judgmental glances
Tells him that his chances are better out on the road
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jesus paid much too high a price
For us to pick and choose who should come
And we are the body of Christ
[/FONT]
Not lame at all - where'd this song come from?

It's Gospel through and through!

Reps to you, dawnsday. :)

Upvote 0

KerrMetric

Oct 2, 2005
Pasadena, CA
✟6,671.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Wow, you guys need to reread the meeting minutes or something... CGL says christians are the msot tolerant of people, but ElderMike says that tolerance comes straight from hell

Consider the fact eldermike is a Baptist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
http://www.lambdalegal.org/victory-for-lgbt-parents-finstuen.html

In a significant victory for same-sex couples and their families, the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a lower court’s ruling striking down an Oklahoma law so extreme it threatened to make children adopted by same-sex couples in other states legal orphans when the families are in Oklahoma.
First of all I want to say I have not followed my usual practice of reading every post before making my response.

Secondly I also want to say I believe the bible speaks against homosexuality and calls it a sin. To use an argument like Andy Sullivan is a christian and gay so the two can't be incompatable is as poor an argument as some of the arguments put forward by christians in this thread.

I applaud the court for making this decision. While I believe the lifestyle is wrong I also do not believe in forcing my views on others which is why I have no problem with gay couples getting the same rights as a de facto couple would. After all I don't agree with the de facto setup either.

To risk derailing this thread I get really angry everytime I hear gays talking about religions being homophobic. Recently I saw a gay pride march. There was a group that had a banner saying expletive homophobic religions. About 200m behind them was a group who were saying they are christians and gay. If gays think they are persecuted imagine how this group of christians felt. People in the same march were telling them to get you know what! The other thing that annoys me is that homophobic means you have a fear of gays. I have never met a christian who does. Yes they disagree but they certainly aren't fearful. It more tends to be non-christians that I see who quickly put their backs to a wall when it is mentioned there is a gay person nearby. Simply stating that you disagree with a lifestyle does not make you homophobic Maybe they could get there words right and stop isolating others who happen to be gay. Untill they stop isolating gay christians then they are nothing but a bunch of hypocrites.

Upvote 0

edwardnortonfan

Jul 15, 2007
Big Rapids
Visit site
✟7,717.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You know, even if Christians don't agree with the lifestyle...most people should be glad kids can be raised by parents who love them, right? I mean, even in the scary, cult like churches I populated, they always told us the best thing we could do with our non-Christian parents was love them and thank God for their love for us, and pray for their salvation.

I'm just saying I don't see why Christians are angry that loving parents are now protected from losing their children? Even if you believe they're unsaved and unrepentant and going to hell or whatever, don't you acknowledge that they can love their kids? Even when I was a Christian opposed to homosexuality I didn't deny that they were people capable of loving a kid, sheesh, where did that attitude come from?

Upvote 0

edwardnortonfan

Jul 15, 2007
Big Rapids
Visit site
✟7,717.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
First of all I want to say I have not followed my usual practice of reading every post before making my response.

Secondly I also want to say I believe the bible speaks against homosexuality and calls it a sin. To use an argument like Andy Sullivan is a christian and gay so the two can't be incompatable is as poor an argument as some of the arguments put forward by christians in this thread.

I applaud the court for making this decision. While I believe the lifestyle is wrong I also do not believe in forcing my views on others which is why I have no problem with gay couples getting the same rights as a de facto couple would. After all I don't agree with the de facto setup either.

To risk derailing this thread I get really angry everytime I hear gays talking about religions being homophobic. Recently I saw a gay pride march. There was a group that had a banner saying expletive homophobic religions. About 200m behind them was a group who were saying they are christians and gay. If gays think they are persecuted imagine how this group of christians felt. People in the same march were telling them to get you know what! The other thing that annoys me is that homophobic means you have a fear of gays. I have never met a christian who does. Yes they disagree but they certainly aren't fearful. It more tends to be non-christians that I see who quickly put their backs to a wall when it is mentioned there is a gay person nearby. Simply stating that you disagree with a lifestyle does not make you homophobic Maybe they could get there words right and stop isolating others who happen to be gay. Untill they stop isolating gay christians then they are nothing but a bunch of hypocrites.

Very good points. I don't think "homophobic" is useful as a term, all it does is tick people off and they bristle and say "I'm not AFRAID of gays!" and any useful dialogue is lost. People get too defensive. I have a tendency to spout off and be negative about Christians and it IS because so many horrible things happened to me and my friends in the church, but I have no excuse for marginalizing other people like the gay culture sometimes does when they spout off against all Christians as though no Christians can be gay.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Better no family than being raised by a loving gay couple that will lead a child away from Christ...
sucks but that's just how it is.

How is being raised by a gay couple"leading a child away from Christ?" Can't this "being led from Christ" happen if a child is being raised by heterosexual couples? And why does it have to suck?

Upvote 0

naotmaa

me!
Feb 2, 2004
✟17,057.00
Faith
Seeker
Politics
US-Democrat
Better no family than being raised by a loving gay couple that will lead a child away from Christ...
Do you think they would have a better chance at an oprhanage or going from foster home to foster home? Wouldn't God want children to be surrounded by loving people? It seems to me that a child would find out more about christian values when he is surrounded by love regardless of who the child's parents are.

Upvote 0

BlackAndy

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
Dec 5, 2006
Hilliard, Ohio, USA
✟25,599.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Just doesn't seem like too many gay couples would raise a child in the Word of God... since the Word says what they are doing is wrong and all...

Hey, Im all about doing what is right for kids. Dont get me wrong... I just think a child's spiritual health should be considered.

Upvote 0

SeraphymCrashing

Jun 21, 2007
✟16,161.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, how about better no family than an atheist family? Surely an atheist family is more of a threat to the child not being raised to honor the light of christ than a homosexual one.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.