Frozen embryos are ‘children,’ Alabama Supreme Court rules in couples’ wrongful death suits

Status
Not open for further replies.

o_mlly

May 20, 2021
Private
✟69,716.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was explaining how mothers feel in a futile attempt to get you to concede that people consider zygotes and babies differently. I guess deflection is the current means of not admitting it.
A child, the legal description of which is someone from the point of birth onwards, already has that right.
I've asked for an argument from science and logic. A legal argument is a deflection and cannot apply (Alabama law withstanding).
As to what point during a pregnancy does the right to life concern us, I'd propose from the point where the foetus can live outside the womb. And that's obviously not a definite point in time. I'm open to other arguments.
Arguably, a child less than, say 3 years old (perhaps even older), cannot live outside the care of others. So, the independent viability of the child cannot be a point at which one obtains their right to life. And those who are on life support at any age do not suspend their right to life. Do you have any other arguments to support that one's obtains their right to life at some point in time after conception?

Upvote 0

o_mlly

May 20, 2021
Private
✟69,716.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It wasn't about how I feel about others. I was explaining how mothers feel in a futile attempt to get you to concede that people consider zygotes and babies differently. I guess deflection is the current means of not admitting it.
Do you mean like the slavers felt about Africans? Or the Nazis about Jews? History is replete with stories on those who wanted to enslave or murder others first had to deny the others humanity. Same here.

Upvote 0

o_mlly

May 20, 2021
Private
✟69,716.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Suddenly, a fertilized egg is NOT a life to be preserved.
Suddenly? Nope.

In 1996, Pope John Paul II made an “appeal to the conscience of the world’s scientific authorities and in particular to doctors, that the production of human embryos be halted, taking into account that there seems to be no morally licit solution regarding the human destiny of the thousands and thousands of ‘frozen’ embryos which are and remain the subjects of essential rights and should therefore be protected by law as human persons.”

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,032.00
Faith
Atheist
Suddenly? Nope.

In 1996, Pope John Paul II made an “appeal to the conscience of the world’s scientific authorities and in particular to doctors, that the production of human embryos be halted, taking into account that there seems to be no morally licit solution regarding the human destiny of the thousands and thousands of ‘frozen’ embryos which are and remain the subjects of essential rights and should therefore be protected by law as human persons.”
I don't think this response says much good about your reading comprehension.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

o_mlly

May 20, 2021
Private
✟69,716.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think this response says much good about your reading comprehension.
Backtrack to goonie's post to improve your comprehension. Nobody is "scrambling" to or "suddenly" changing positions on when a child has a right to their life.

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

truthpls

Oct 16, 2023
victoria
✟30,228.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Eight separate responses and I can't find one worthy of a response. You are repeating yourself every post and I can't be bothered any more looking for something on which it is worth spending my time.
You reject it in other words.

Upvote 0

truthpls

Oct 16, 2023
victoria
✟30,228.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Where does the bible define murder?
Thayers defines kill as this
Thayer's
  1. to kill in any way whatever
    1. to destroy, to allow to perish
  2. metaph. to extinguish, abolish
    1. to inflict mortal death
So for example, if one destroyed a little one inn the womb that is killing. If one allowed a baby after birth to die, that is murder. etc

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,032.00
Faith
Atheist
Backtrack to goonie's post to improve your comprehension. Nobody is "scrambling" to or "suddenly" changing positions on when a child has a right to their life.
Really? Anti-abortionists have always held that a fertilized eggs are NOT deserving of life? Really?

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,032.00
Faith
Atheist
Thayers defines kill as this
Thayer's
  1. to kill in any way whatever
    1. to destroy, to allow to perish
  2. metaph. to extinguish, abolish
    1. to inflict mortal death
So for example, if one destroyed a little one inn the womb that is killing. If one allowed a baby after birth to die, that is murder. etc
A. Thayer's is not the Bible. You didn't answer the question that was asked.
B. "to kill in any way whatever" is not murder, else executions would be murder, war would be murder, people killed with their consent to escape terminal illnesses would have been murdered. This is a very poor definition.

Upvote 0

truthpls

Oct 16, 2023
victoria
✟30,228.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
A. Thayer's is not the Bible.
It is one of the dictionaries explaining root meanings of words used in the bible. So when the bible says this for example The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly John 10:10
We can comprehend the word kill better.
You didn't answer the question that was asked.
B. "to kill in any way whatever" is not murder, else executions would be murder, war would be murder, people killed with their consent to escape terminal illnesses would have been murdered. This is a very poor definition.
In the verse above the context is clear. A man stealing from a home in the night. There are many instances of the use of the word in other verses as well we can use for context. Nowhere is a government executing murderers or etc included in an evil context. In fact Paul made it clear that they can and do execute capitol punishment for evildoers. War also is not included generally. Only when God leads the war! That does NOT happen today at all ever. It will happen when He returns to earth. It did happen when He led a people and nation for a time. Not today or in the world at large, period.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

o_mlly

May 20, 2021
Private
✟69,716.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Really? Anti-abortionists have always held that a fertilized eggs are NOT deserving of life? Really?
Really. Copy and pasting the liberal media headlines is not research. Republicans who are practicing Catholic and perhaps many other republicans who are pro-life are neither "scrambling" nor "suddenly" changing what they held 28 years ago.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Many get their values from the bible. I hear one of the greatest moves in history is happening in Iran as well, regarding Christian conversion.
Muslims get their values from the Bible as well. Muslims regard our Old Testament plus the Synoptic Gospels as their "Old Testament" and the Quran is largely given over to commentaries on those texts.
They mean something. They indicate that a majority of people used that belief system to make laws.

If a majority belief is respected and turned into laws, then whether we all agree or not doesn't change things

So, in a country where most claim Christian values
And argue incessantly about what they are
it seems appropriate that those majority values be acted upon rather than dismissed by a minority as 'religious'
A "minority" which often seems to have more votes.

Upvote 0

truthpls

Oct 16, 2023
victoria
✟30,228.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nope. No need for the supernatural there. It is just two parties disagreeing on gender disphoria and surgical interventions.
Yes there is an absolute need. God created man male and female. No confusion about it. God is not the author of confusion.
Nope and Nope. Promoting abortions (or even defending access) isn't supernatural. It is just someone taking a position on a political/moral issue.
People who murder do not need to admit or even know they are inspired and motivated by supernatural forces. The bible tells us that Satan and his children are murderers. It was Satan that entered Judas when he went out to arrange Jesus being murdered. It does not matter whether Judas realized as he walked out that door that he was possessed or not.
"attacking God" in school (whether you mean excluding practice to directly having teachers claim a god doesn't exist) is not supernatural. It is a religious position, or a political position, or upholding legal principles, etc. Not supernatural.
Speaking words from hell is not something that requires people knowing or admitting they are doing so either. By the fruit we know the tree.
I don't believe in your satan, so why would I accept any of these are satan inspired?
Those who do know. Those who read Scripture. Those who know good from evil.
It doesn't matter? Then why claim it?

SMH.
What doesn't matter is whether you are aware of it or deny it. (not whether it is supernatural or not)

Upvote 0

truthpls

Oct 16, 2023
victoria
✟30,228.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Muslims get their values from the Bible as well. Muslims regard our Old Testament plus the Synoptic Gospels as their "Old Testament" and the Quran is largely given over to commentaries on those texts.

And argue incessantly about what they are

A "minority" which often seems to have more votes.
You don't find it fishy when a majority gets less votes? If a majority of say, Americans were Christian then there are basics that they would have to agree on.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.