Under Secretary Karen Hughes: "...our Constitution cites 'one nation under God.'"

DhaliClone

Oct 28, 2004
✟17,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
http://www.state.gov/r/us/2005/54062.htm

UNDER SECRETARY HUGHES: I had one person at one lunch raise the issue of the President mentioning God in his speeches. And I asked whether he was aware that previous American presidents have also cited God, and that our Constitution cites "one nation under God." He said "well, never mind" and went on to something else. So he sort of was trying to equate that with the terrorists' (inaudible). So I explained that I didn't really think that was something you could equate. And he sort of dropped it and moved on. He was one of the opposition leaders in Egypt.

Hopefully, she meant the Pledge of Allegiance and not the US Constitution. Either way... oops.

MSBS

Jul 29, 2002
California
✟10,591.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, the constitution deals with the vote, which is the voice of the people, and the union of the former British colonies into one nation. And the old latin saying "vox populi, vox dei" means "the voice of the people is the voice of God." Thus, a united nation where the people vote is "one nation under God." Simple. ;)

Upvote 0

NinjaTurtles

Sep 21, 2005
✟227.00
Faith
Christian
MSBS said:
Well, the constitution deals with the vote, which is the voice of the people, and the union of the former British colonies into one nation. And the old latin saying "vox populi, vox dei" means "the voice of the people is the voice of God." Thus, a united nation where the people vote is "one nation under God." Simple. ;)
Now I would be rolling if she rationally came out and said that, but how many people are that smart, especially politicians. We live in a country where they encourage ignorance.

Reactions: UberLutheran
Upvote 0

charmtrap

Iä-R’lyeh! Cthulhu fhtagn
May 14, 2004
SF, CA
✟3,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
She's hardly the only one who thinks the Constitution does say that. They pop up here every now and then. However, we should at the very, very least expect our rulers to know our founding documents. Example #1,453,318 of Bush Administration incompetence.

Upvote 0

DhaliClone

Oct 28, 2004
✟17,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
MSBS said:
That's pretty funny.

It's definitely a stretch, too, though, because you can probably relate every single "old saying" to the Constitution in that way.

Upvote 0

BeamMeUpScotty

Senior Veteran
Dec 15, 2004
Kanagawa, Japan
✟18,437.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
MSBS said:

Read on the Senate floor, voted for unanimously, and signed by President Adams--making it the law of the land, I give you article 11 from the Treaty with Tripoly:

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

[font=Courier New, Courier, mono]"As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion,-as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen,-and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."
[/font]

[font=Courier New, Courier, mono](Emphasis mine)
[/font]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Marklet12

Mar 18, 2005
✟9,504.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
IMG_0867.jpg

If I were 30 years older, I'd make out with that.

Upvote 0