The Jesus Revolution of 2023: From Asbury to Gen Z, Revisiting a Year of Revival

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

This year we witnessed a powerful move of the Holy Spirit across college campuses, beaches, prisons, and churches – so much so that 2023 could be dubbed a "Year of Revival." It could even point to the beginning of what many have called a spiritual awakening in America.
Faith leaders have testified that "revival is happening" in pockets across the U.S. spanning different age groups, denominations, and backgrounds.
'The Asbury Awakening'
Many would say that the biggest "firestarter" of them all was a simple worship service at Asbury University in Kentucky where 100 people fell to their knees and bowed at the altar in Hughes Auditorium, just to worship God.
"On Wednesday, February 8, a very small but very faithful group of Asbury students listened to the nudging of the Holy Spirit and stayed in Chapel a little longer, and then a little longer, and then way longer," shared a student speaker. "And we had no idea that the world was about to know God better."
That small act eventually inspired thousands to flock to the college campus where they sought God's presence for more than two weeks, leading to repentance, healing, and salvation.
"Peers, professors, local church leaders, and seminary students surround me—all of them praying, worshipping, and praising God together. Voices are ringing out. People are bowing at the altar, arms stretched wide," wrote Alexandra Presta, the editor of the student-run website The Asbury Collegian. "A pair of friends cling to each other in a hug, one with tears in her eyes. A diverse group of individuals crowd the piano and flawlessly switch from song to song. Some even sit like me, with laptops open. No one wants to leave."

What took place garnered national attention and began to spring up across other campuses.
"THE FIRE IS SPREADING. Reports say students from more than 21 colleges have now arrived at Asbury University in Kentucky for revival services. Just imagine what will happen if this spreads nationwide," wrote missionary Lee Grady in February.

Lee University: 'Awakening the Deep Wells of Revival'

Lee University, a private Christian college in Cleveland, Tennessee is 250 miles away from Asbury University, but students from this small school felt compelled to take part in what was taking place and it began a movement of revival on their campus.
Lee University Campus Pastor Rob Fultz noted on X, "What's happening at Asbury is not and will not remain confined. It will, and already is awakening the deep wells of revival on campuses across the nation. They have been churning, pressing against the seals that have kept them hidden, and they are about to burst with new life."
Fultz reported the revival had reached the Lee campus, writing: "A mighty move of God started this morning at Lee and it has been building throughout the day. We are approaching the 10th hour, nothing but voices in prayer, worship, and repentance." He also included a video taken of the worship in the campus's Stone Chapel. Students were coming to the chapel, crying out to God, praying, and repenting.

The revival continued to spread to schools in Alabama, Kentucky, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Virginia. "I think there's a move of God that's happening; there's a revival that's happening, and I wanted to be in the Presence of God," Regent University student Shameka White told CBN News. "I wanted to just be among believers. And we need it in the climate of the world today."

Cedarville University
Cedarville University President Thomas White shared five short video clips of the revival at his school – just 10 days after the start of the Asbury revival.
"Tonight a large number of students gathered again to pray, read Scripture, testimonies, and to worship Jesus for about two hours! We had 2 more students saved tonight. Tomorrow night we are sending our students out to other Universities to share the Gospel," he wrote. "Keep praying for wisdom and a genuine movement of the Lord! The last video is from students who stayed around to keep worshipping. They were still there when I left about 11 pm!"
In an email to the Cedarville faculty and staff, White wrote, "We are so thankful for how God is working on our campus in recent days."

There is more to read in this article. I hope it will be helpful and also encouraging to look back at the various Christian revivals from the year of 2023.

May the grace, mercy, love, and blessings of the Lord Jesus Christ come upon you all.