Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Right. I was referring to MD's prescribing placebos for regular medical care...not trials.
A lot of that went on for dependents in the AF. Late 60s, I operated an immunology clinic at a base hospital. And a lot of wives were not taking extended husband TDY's very well. Thank God, I didn't get many temporary duty assignments.

• Informative
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thankfully that kind of person is not normally in charge of public policy.
Yes much better for those in charge of public policy to be in touch with data rather than being in touch with the people.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes much better for those in charge of public policy to be in touch with data rather than being in touch with the people.
Being in touch with the data is being in touch with the people for anyone with even a little sense of math. That's what the data is. It's about all the people. Reagan,. who truly loved people, just didn't get numbers and data. His people always tried to keep ordrinary people away from him for that reason. He'd meet a single mom who was struggling to get by, and he'd want to do something to help people like her. Show him the data on millions of people like her, and it just wouldn't connect for him.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,867.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Being in touch with the data is being in touch with the people for anyone with even a little sense of math. That's what the data is. It's about all the people. Reagan,. who truly loved people, just didn't get numbers and data. His people always tried to keep ordrinary people away from him for that reason. He'd meet a single mom who was struggling to get by, and he'd want to do something to help people like her. Show him the data on millions of people like her, and it just wouldn't connect for him.
Data is not always about people.

The current example is global warming. It seems the majority of people do not want to be inconvenienced by taking action. At least until it drastically impacts them, at which point it is far too late.

The people want to pay less and get more. The data usually shows that is not possible.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Basic necessities were considerably more affordable during the Reagan administration than they are now.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The current example is global warming. It seems the majority of people do not want to be inconvenienced by taking action. At least until it drastically impacts them, at which point it is far too late.
The majority of people who do not want to be inconvenienced by taking action, are those who go on and on about how something needs to be done about global warming. They're still pretty much living the same lifestyle as most everyone else. But it's not really within the power of the average citizen to change global warming or the economy.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Basic necessities were considerably more affordable during the Reagan administration than they are now.

Did you happen to live through the Reagan Administration?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
That's anecdotal, but yes I was an adult laborer during that time and still am.

Not really, there is a difference if a person actually experienced the era as opposed to reading what others have said about it. That being said, my experiences as a worker during the Reagan years was only near the end but from what my family went through, with the exception of the music, I would not want to have a repeat and I am doing much better than my father did.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not really, there is a difference if a person actually experienced the era as opposed to reading what others have said about it.
Well you know I've been hearing so much about how data supersedes real life experience.
That being said, my experiences as a worker during the Reagan years was only near the end but from what my family went through, with the exception of the music, I would not want to have a repeat and I am doing much better than my father did.
From my experience food, rent, clothes, cars etc were more affordable from 80 to 88 compared to now. I don't recall any family members doing poorly either.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Well you know I've been hearing so much about how data supersedes real life experience.

From my experience food, rent, clothes, cars etc were more affordable from 80 to 88 compared to now. I don't recall any family members doing poorly either.

In the 70s in California and Hawaii we were doing great, in the 80's I lived in Arkansas, Alabama, and Mississippi, not so much.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the 70s in California and Hawaii we were doing great, in the 80's I lived in Arkansas, Alabama, and Mississippi, not so much.
I'm not saying it was a golden age. Just that prices were more realistic for the working class. These days I'm living in a tiny room with just a small sink in a century old rundown hotel, because rent for what used to be a cheap working class apartment is sky high. I'll probably have to work overtime or a 2nd job at nearly the age of 62 just to keep a roof over my head if the place I'm at now closes down. Oh and I'm driving a 23 year old Toyota because car prices are so high. Amazingly the glowing statistics and data don't seem to be helping any.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
For me, the true golden age was from the early sixties to about mid-1980. Rent was pretty much nonexistent, I had as much discretionary income as I needed, and I rarely had to work.

Then I graduated high school. It was all downhill from there.

-- A2SG, and that's the value of anecdotal evidence....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

The people want to pay less and get more. The data usually shows that is not possible.
Well, yes. Data can be about all sorts of things. And for a lot of people, data is difficult to comprehend.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
At the start of his administration. But a steep decline in real wages for the lowest-income people began on his watch...

iu

Biden struggled with the results of the pandemic, but in the last 10 months, real wages have continued to rise faster than inflation. So it's good news for most of us. Well, not really for me, since a substantial portion of my current income is fixed, but for most people who need it the most.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
At the start of his administration. But a steep decline in real wages for the lowest-income people began on his watch...

iu

Biden struggled with the results of the pandemic, but in the last 10 months, real wages have continued to rise faster than inflation. So it's good news for most of us. Well, not really for me, since a substantial portion of my current income is fixed, but for most people who need it the most.
I'm glad there are those who find solace in scribbles.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm glad there are those who find solace in scribbles.
Those who do not comprehend data remain forever deluded when considering things like economies. For Reagan, notice that real minimum wage declined drastically during his term in office.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Magnetism is a fundamental force. Even water has electromagnetic forces (Van der Wahls forces, which creates surface tension). You learn that by high school science, hopefully.

Upvote 0