To my brethren: Who is going to be the hero?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Recently, there have been several threads bringing up the ugly histories of Roman Catholics and Protestants. These shameful threads do absolutely nothing to change the facts of history, and do not serve to bring us closer together. Worse still, these threads also make us look like fools to non-believers, just ask them what they think of Christian in-fighting in General Apologetics. And who can blame them for not wanting to accept Christ? If a gentlemen invites me into his home to meet his relatives, and when I look inside I see a big fight that goes against the rules that the Head of the Household laid down then why would I want to enter into that home (let alone become a member of that family)?

Who is going to step up and (to quote Dr. Phil) be a hero? Who will take the high road and push their pride aside, join hands, and worship and follow Christ for the benefit of non-believers?

LET US BREAK BREAD TOGETHER :amen:

Let us break bread together on our knees, (on our knees)
Let us break bread together on our knees. (on our knees)
When I fall on my knees with my face to the rising sun,
O Lord, have mercy on me.
Let us drink wine together on our knees, (on our knees)
Let us drink wine together on our knees. (on our knees)

Let us praise God together on our knees, (on our knees)
Let us praise God together on our knees. (on our knees)

In Christ's Holy Name,
DIANE
:prayer:

Reactions: Petunia

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The differences between Catholics and Protestants are a matter of fundamental truths not just semantics. Using the same words but giving them diffeent meanings doesn't quailify as saying the same things. If being a hero means to have no backbone and be willing to compromise fundamental truth the I will not be a hero.

Upvote 0

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
mlqurgw,

Let me clarify. Being a hero in this context means to stop saying things to this effect, "RCs are bad because they persecuted us", "Protestants are bad because they persecuted us", etc., etc. There have been at least three threads started on the gruesome histories of both RCs and Protestants. The past is the past, and playing the blame game does nothing to further the Kingdom. For the sake of Christ, His Church, and especially for the sake of nonbelievers who lurk on this forum this blame game needs to stop.

Who is going to stop playing the victim and rise above this childish bickering? Who is going to be the hero?

DIANE
:wave:

Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Diane_Windsor said:
mlqurgw,

Let me clarify. Being a hero in this context means to stop saying things to this effect, "RCs are bad because they persecuted us", "Protestants are bad because they persecuted us", etc., etc. There have been at least three threads started on the gruesome histories of both RCs and Protestants. The past is the past, and playing the blame game does nothing to further the Kingdom. For the sake of Christ, His Church, and especially for the sake of nonbelievers who lurk on this forum this blame game needs to stop.

Who is going to stop playing the victim and rise above this childish bickering? Who is going to be the hero?

DIANE
You are correct that kind of gameplaying is nonsense and isn't helping and instructive to anyone. It is abhorant and is evidence of a lack of substantive thought. A child plays these kind of games because it knows no better. That doesn't mean though that we are to refrain from engaging in debate on the fundamental differences. Debates often become heated and that is OK sometimes. The differences are real and do seperate us as they should. We should never compromise truth for the sake of the unbeliever.

Upvote 0

PraiseToHim

Dec 17, 2005
✟291.00
Faith
Christian
Diane_Windsor said:
Recently, there have been several threads bringing up the ugly histories of Roman Catholics and Protestants. These shameful threads do absolutely nothing to change the facts of history, and do not serve to bring us closer together. Worse still, these threads also make us look like fools to non-believers, just ask them what they think of Christian in-fighting in General Apologetics. And who can blame them for not wanting to accept Christ? If a gentlemen invites me into his home to meet his relatives, and when I look inside I see a big fight that goes against the rules that the Head of the Household laid down then why would I want to enter into that home (let alone become a member of that family)?

All sides have been guilty the same kinds of deeds in the past. It does not serve any useful dig up the past sins of one side when the others have been guilty of the same type of things.

Can the Moderators institute (or is there already) a rule to put a hault to this type of thread who's only purpose is to villify another denomination?

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
"That doesn't mean though that we are to refrain from engaging in debate on the fundamental differences. Debates often become heated and that is OK sometimes. The differences are real and do separate us as they should."

There is a value in showing both sides. Some people just have hunches about why they don't feel comfortable with their church, and don't have the details or evidence to see what bothers them. They blame themselves for weak loyalty and participation.

We are inevitably humbled by seeing the number of times the Christian church has allowed itself to be corrupted, manipulated, and grow oppressive. We're so sure we're invincible now...so sure we're right.

Learn from history, watch the triggers and the signals, stay on our toes for things to come....

Upvote 0

calgal

Mar 25, 2003
Western MI
Visit site
✟17,475.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
mlqurgw said:
The differences between Catholics and Protestants are a matter of fundamental truths not just semantics. Using the same words but giving them diffeent meanings doesn't quailify as saying the same things. If being a hero means to have no backbone and be willing to compromise fundamental truth the I will not be a hero.

Well said. :amen: And for the OP, simply not replying to the threads would make them slip farther and farther down the page into oblivion.

Upvote 0

Lynn73

Jesus' lamb
Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
✟15,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
mlqurgw said:

I was just going to say myself that I can't join or be in unity with those with which I have serious differences on biblical truth. I agree with your statement totally.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lynn73

Jesus' lamb
Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
✟15,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
PraiseToHim said:
Can the Moderators institute (or is there already) a rule to put a hault to this type of thread who's only purpose is to villify another denomination?

I think there's already enough censorhip going on here. We need to be able to discuss beliefs and doctrines and surely this can be done without personal attacks. What I don't like is when legitimate objections to a particular religion's theology or teachings is expressed, that's interpeted as a personal attack or hatred or whatever and that is wrong.

Upvote 0

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think that some people are missing the point of this thread. I absolutely agree that we should lovingly discuss our doctrinal differences :) However, the numerous doctrinal differences between Protestants and Roman Catholics are beyond the scope of this thread.

I started this thread as a response to three recents threads that highlight the fact the both RCs and Protestants have persecuted each other in previous centuries. The blame game threads need to stop. Yes, Protestants persecuted Roman Catholics. Yes, RCs persecuted Protestants. What's done is done, and we can't change the facts of history.

I do not believe that it is loving or Christ-like to dig up the sins of our spiritual forebearers, and the atrocities that they committed against one another to use as ammunition to fire at the "other" side.

It saddens me that my Jewish neighbors show more Christ-like love than some Christians do. In the 10+ years that I have known them they have never brought up the fact that Christians (yes, both RCs and Protestants) have persecuted the Jews. My neighbors don't live in the past, and we shouldn't either.

I ask again, who is going to be the hero? We are ALL on the same team, we ALL worship and serve the same God, which makes us brothers and sisters in Christ. There is no need to bicker over the sins of our spiritual ancestors.

AH, HOLY JESUS

DIANE

Upvote 0

PraiseToHim

Dec 17, 2005
✟291.00
Faith
Christian
Diane_Windsor said:
I think that some people are missing the point of this thread. I absolutely agree that we should lovingly discuss our doctrinal differences .

I started this thread as a response to three recents threads that highlight the fact the both RCs and Protestants have persecuted each other in previous centuries. The blame game threads need to stop. Yes, RCs persecuted Protestants. Yes, Protestants persecuted Roman Catholics. What's done is done, and we can't change the facts of history.

Exactly, those things have nothing to do with lovingly docrinal discussions.

Upvote 0

Lynn73

Jesus' lamb
Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
✟15,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Diane_Windsor said:
I ask again, who is going to be the hero? We are ALL on the same team, we ALL worship and serve the same God, which makes us brothers and sisters in Christ.

Ahh, but are we in reality? Do we all believe the same gospel, the same plan of salvation. If a person is trusting in something other than Christ alone are they are brother or sister? This isn't to cause anger, these are legitimate questions. You have to admit that the theology of Catholics and Protestants are completely different so are we really, truly on the exact same time? If we don't agree on how one is saved? I must have serious doubts about this. I'm just asking honest questions here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lynn73 said:
By the way, I can't locate the General Apologetics Forum on the board anywhere. All I see is the Christian apologetics forum. How do you access General Apologetics?

I put the link to it in my first post. Is it not working? Anyway, here it is again:

General Apologetics

Lynn73 said:
Ahh, but are we in reality? Do we all believe the same gospel, the same plan of salvation. If a person is trusting in something other than Christ alone are they are brother or sister? This isn't to cause anger, these are legitimate questions. You have to admit that the theology of Catholics and Protestants are completely different so are we really, truly on the exact same time? If we don't agree on how one is saved? I must have serious doubts about this. I'm just asking honest questions here.

You are sadly missing the entire point Lynn :sigh: Doctrinal differences are beyond the scope of this thread.

Gotta go to work now bye :wave:

DIANE

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Lynn73 said:
I was just going to say myself that I can't join or be in unity with those with which I have serious differences on biblical truth. I agree with your statement totally.
That's all fine and dandy. I am not one to compromise the ancient truth of Catholic Christianity for the relatively new age Protestant version of it, over my dead body would I do that. However, the point of the OP is that very rarely in this forum is the bickering over anything substantial. It's all very needless and trivial, and involves finger pointing and mudslinging, and very little else. There is no real communication that goes on this stink hole of a forum, it's just a bunch of want to be hap-hazzard ' theologians 'giving free reign to their pride and being a poor example for Christ while they're at it. For the most part.

Michelle

Upvote 0

PastorMikeJ

combat veteran
Nov 10, 2005
Shaftsbury, Vermont
✟3,808.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Diane_Windsor said:

Who is going to step up and (to quote Dr. Phil) be a hero? Who will take the high road and push their pride aside, join hands, and worship and follow Christ for the benefit of non-believers?

LET US BREAK BREAD TOGETHER :amen:

Let us break bread together on our knees, (on our knees)
Let us break bread together on our knees. (on our knees)
Let us drink wine together on our knees, (on our knees)
Let us drink wine together on our knees. (on our knees)

Let us praise God together on our knees, (on our knees)
Let us praise God together on our knees. (on our knees)

In Christ's Holy Name,
DIANE
:prayer:

PRAISE THE LORD!!!! someone with some sense!!!!! thank you thank you for your wisdom!!!! I support you 100%!!!

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
Diane_Windsor said:
mlqurgw,

DIANE

Diane . . .let me ask you a question . .

What should Catholics do when some members repeatedly start threads with the express purpose of attacking the Catholic faith by grossly misrepresnting the facts?

Just ignore it and join hands with others who do not do so and sing Kumbiya?

If we did there would be no end to such attacks for there are enough anti-Catholic members here who feed each other with their anti-Catholic rhetoric.

Yes, all Christian faiths groups have blood on their hands . . . He who is without sin cast the first stone . .

But what do you do when people are constantly stoning your faith?

Are we to sit idly by, ignoring it so that others can be deceived by the gross misinformation designed to inflame people against the Catholic faith, and thys develop a wrong understanding of the facts of history?

This is the purpose of such anti-Catholic threads presented here recently which grossly distort the truth.

Are we to sit by and let this happen uncontested?

What do you see the solution as being?

Peace to all

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.