Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
There are no rules and regulations when a person is operating in total accordance with the fruit of the Spirit. The scripture says that there is no law that is against the fruit of the Spirit.
It seems that you are saying that the Scriptures do not tell us of the agency, purpose and conditions of use around tongues; where maybe we are all to decide for ourselves what we think (or want) the Spirit to say to us individually.

Of course, we are still bound to the Scriptures (with its regulations and stipulations) when it comes to the fruit of the Spirit as we only know of these things from the Scriptures themselves.

It seems that you are implying that someone can stand up in the middle of a meeting where they can override the speaker simply because they think that they are "in the Spirit", which is something that most Pentecostals have had to encounter in our meetings on the odd occassion.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems that you are saying that the Scriptures do not tell us of the agency, purpose and conditions of use around tongues; where maybe we are all to decide for ourselves what we think (or want) the Spirit to say to us individually.

Of course, we are still bound to the Scriptures (with its regulations and stipulations) when it comes to the fruit of the Spirit as we only know of these things from the Scriptures themselves.

It seems that you are implying that someone can stand up in the middle of a meeting where they can override the speaker simply because they think that they are "in the Spirit", which is something that most Pentecostals have had to encounter in our meetings on the odd occassion.
ouh noo i would say they could simply because the "think" they are in the Spirit ..
but when they are compelled ... and yes that happens .:)

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
ouh noo i would say they could simply because the "think" they are in the Spirit ..
but when they are compelled ... and yes that happens .:)
Presuming that I am following your line of thought correctly, I have absolutely no doubt that no-one is ever 'compelled' to prophesy to the congregation or to speak a word of praise to the Father; we only do these things when we choose to do so.

Whenever someone says that they were 'compelled' to provide a prophecy it is simply the flesh speaking.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Presuming that I am following your line of thought correctly, I have absolutely no doubt that no-one is ever 'compelled' to prophesy to the congregation or to speak a word of praise to the Father; we only do these things when we choose to do so.

Whenever someone says that they were 'compelled' to provide a prophecy it is simply the flesh speaking.
hmm i think we can choose "not to" .. but we are compelled or why would we do so .
this is what is described in old times as the quickening of the Spirit ... i assure you i being an introvert by nature of the flesh have been so compelled .. could i have resisted ?sure only if i had the desire to so oppose the holy Spirit . i did not have that desire .my body shook and light upon light upon light in layer after layer as wings of brightness flashing in indescribably brilliance filled my vision and my lips and tongue trembled and the spirit rose win as a river flowing out from my inner most being and my voice cried out in praise unto the living god as all of my will was in that moment abandoned to his will..
when one is MOVED (compelled) by the power of the holy ghost ..one will speak up be it man or a mule along the path ...
it even happened to king saul and was therefore said .".is saul also among the prophets?

I feel the error is quite the opposite ,where people speak of their own volition from the imaginations of the mind and not by the Holy Spirit of the living God and are not at all compelled by the holy Spirit to do so ..there is no spiritual unction (anointing ) upon them they just act carnally from the emotions .. true prophecy comes when the word of the lord comes in to AND through our lips but it does not originate within us ... "five no thought before hand what you will say .. the lord instructed those whom he told would speak before kings and rulers .. when we speak in tongues it is so, we do not by our own imaginations predetermine what we shall say ..we open our mouths in faith and let the lord speak .... and prophesy is merely the same but in the language we can comprehend .. but if we predetermine what we are about to say then it is more then likely ourself speaking and not the lord .. however we can ,in doing, so edify those around us if we are sharing the things the lord has shown us in prayer before the meeting .but we should not feign to say it is prophecy .

Reactions: katerinah1947
Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
hmm i think we can choose "not to" .. but we are compelled or why would we do so.
Oh that's easy, we prophesy and pray to the Lord in the Spirit during our meetings because we both love the Lord and the brethren!

Why would we not want to share a word from the Spirit as we know that we are allowing the Spirit of God to fully intervene into our meetings. For those who are prophets, they will never feel the need to jump up in an inappropriate time but they will instead wait for an opportune time where the Spirit will then speak out through them as he so pleases.

As for praising God in the Spirit (tongues), there would never have been an occassion where someone felt that they "had to speak in tongues" and if they did this it would be the flesh and not the Spirit pushing them to do so.

If someone jumps up and gives a word in tongues where the same person immediately provides a so-called "interpretation" that they claim is a message from the Spirit to an individual or a congregation - then this is definately and uniquivocally of the flesh.

this is what is described in old times as the quickening of the Spirit ... i assure you i being an introvert by nature of the flesh have been so compelled .. could i have resisted ?sure only if i had the desire to so oppose the holy Spirit . i did not have that desire .my body shook and light upon light upon light in layer after layer as wings of brightness flashing in indescribably brilliance filled my vision and my lips and tongue trembled and the spirit rose win as a river flowing out from my inner most being and my voice cried out in praise unto the living god as all of my will was in that moment abandoned to his will..
when one is MOVED (compelled) by the power of the holy ghost ..one will speak up be it man or a mule along the path ...
As I would see my own supine personality being somewhat introverted, I would be more inlined to say that your reactions were both emotional and physical which is something that is common to all those who are introverted. I definately would not, absolutely not equate this as being the influence of the Spirit of God. Once you've spoken enough times within a setting where you feel comfortable in a particular setting, then after a period of time most of your physical/emotional feelings should dissappear.

...it even happened to king saul and was therefore said .".is saul also among the prophets?
As for Saul, maybe he isn't the best example to use. Don't forget, when Saul and others like him prophesied, they had the Spirit coming upon them where he departed once they had completed prophesying, where this could certainly allow for a degree of emotion. David said it well in Ps. 51:11 Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.

... "five no thought before hand what you will say .. the lord instructed those whom he told would speak before kings and rulers .. when we speak in tongues it is so, we do not by our own imaginations predetermine what we shall say ..we open our mouths in faith and let the lord speak .... and prophesy is merely the same but in the language we can comprehend ..
Yes, here lies the trap where we connect the experience of those within the OT with those who are New Testament prophets.

In addition, even when a New Testament prophet decides to speak within say a congregational meeting, this is usually through his/her choice where they simply speak forth without always knowing what the Spirit will say to the congregation.

...but if we predetermine what we are about to say then it is more then likely ourself speaking and not the lord .. however we can ,in doing, so edify those around us if we are sharing the things the lord has shown us in prayer before the meeting .but we should not feign to say it is prophecy.
When we wait for an appropriate time to speak and when the Spirit speaks through us, this has nothing to do with predetermining what we are to say. All the experienced prophet has to do is to be available and we can only be available when we choose an appropriate time to stand up and speak - this has nothing to do with predetermining the content.

Upvote 0

bloodbought09

Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
united states
✟10,354.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are no rules and regulations when a person is operating in total accordance with the fruit of the Spirit. The scripture says that there is no law that is against the fruit of the Spirit.

Galatians 5:22 - 25

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its affections and lusts.

25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

You're right sir!

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Galatians 5:22 - 25

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its affections and lusts.

25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

You're right sir!
(1Co 14:37-40 NASB)37 If anyone thinks he is a prophet or spiritual, let him recognize that the things which I write to you are the Lord's commandment.
38 But if anyone does not recognize this, he is not recognized.
39 Therefore, my brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak in tongues.
40 But all things must be done properly and in an orderly manner.​

No wonder Paul is so unpopular with many, there he goes again, more "rules and regulations"; but of course, many will disregard Paul when he tries to place some order in their lives.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh that's easy, we prophesy and pray to the Lord in the Spirit during our meetings because we both love the Lord and the brethren!

Why would we not want to share a word from the Spirit as we know that we are allowing the Spirit of God to fully intervene into our meetings. For those who are prophets, they will never feel the need to jump up in an inappropriate time but they will instead wait for an opportune time where the Spirit will then speak out through them as he so pleases.

As for praising God in the Spirit (tongues), there would never have been an occassion where someone felt that they "had to speak in tongues" and if they did this it would be the flesh and not the Spirit pushing them to do so.

If someone jumps up and gives a word in tongues where the same person immediately provides a so-called "interpretation" that they claim is a message from the Spirit to an individual or a congregation - then this is definately and uniquivocally of the flesh.

As I would see my own supine personality being somewhat introverted, I would be more inlined to say that your reactions were both emotional and physical which is something that is common to all those who are introverted. I definately would not, absolutely not equate this as being the influence of the Spirit of God. Once you've spoken enough times within a setting where you feel comfortable in a particular setting, then after a period of time most of your physical/emotional feelings should dissappear.

As for Saul, maybe he isn't the best example to use. Don't forget, when Saul and others like him prophesied, they had the Spirit coming upon them where he departed once they had completed prophesying, where this could certainly allow for a degree of emotion. David said it well in Ps. 51:11 Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.

Yes, here lies the trap where we connect the experience of those within the OT with those who are New Testament prophets.

In addition, even when a New Testament prophet decides to speak within say a congregational meeting, this is usually through his/her choice where they simply speak forth without always knowing what the Spirit will say to the congregation.

When we wait for an appropriate time to speak and when the Spirit speaks through us, this has nothing to do with predetermining what we are to say. All the experienced prophet has to do is to be available and we can only be available when we choose an appropriate time to stand up and speak - this has nothing to do with predetermining the content.
yes there was a calming where emotions and such like were not so prevalent .. however i speak of a time far after all that .. there is a time when the glory of the lord is so very present he overrides the wiling heart .. and is more then able to override the unwiling heart .. even a donkey's mouth will speak ;)(thats a dig at me haha)
i dont know, it seems we lack the will for abandonment these days .. and the lord does (it appears) choose to act through a wiling heart . the other day a lady approached me the week after the lord had used me ,and she said the anointing that day came u8pon her to praise (prophecy and praise are infused together) and she became fearful to let go and she said the anointing lifted from her and she said she felt it move and descend on me and she said the next moment i began to shake and lifted up my voice to declare gods goodness .. i laughed and said" next time be bold and i pray that every single person in the meeting would ALL so praise the lord in abandonment to the holy Spirit and revival shall have come . :clap:

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Teller of tales, writer of poems, singer of songs
Mar 1, 2015
Following a Jewish Carpenter
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
The WONDERFUL gift and mystery of Tongues ... a spiritual language...

This gift i find to be astounding and exciting and wonderful and far to little importance is placed upon it these days .
im not sure why ..

-- i find there are many who claim to be baptized in the Holy Spirit yet don't seem to either have received this gifting OR dont seem to have any interest in receiving Or the saddest of all don't believe in it ....(thats verbal topic hook haha)

of course one cannot say they are baptized in the Holy Spirit and then not believe in the gift of tongues .. but that's a side topic .

The
gift of tongues , that heavenly language ,that spiritual forming of communication between the Lord JEsus and our own spirit by the enablement of the Holy Spirit causing us by his power to pray in us through us AND FOR us . not only in sounds recognised to be what we would call language but also in utterances and groaning which are beyond the utterance of mankind .

this wonderful gift which enables us to pray the perfect will of God unhindered by carnal reasoning and limited understandings ...
this wonderful gift that allows us to pour our hearts out to the lord when we so do not even know what needs to be poured out :) :clap:

If you think there isn't enough importance attached to it, you've never been in a Charismatic-type church in the deep south.

What gets me about it is no one seems to know what anyone is talking about.

Now, back in Acts, when the disciples spoke in tongues, the people around them heard them speaking in their own languages, and understood every word being said. And the result was 3,000 people being baptized that very day.
Later, Paul does say that he thanks God that he speaks tongues more than anyone, but stop and think...how many foreign languages would he need to speak in order to do the work God had given him?

And you have not said a word about the phenomenon of being "slain in the spirit" or any of the other claimed manifestations of the spirit. Why is that?

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
If you think there isn't enough importance attached to it, you've never been in a Charismatic-type church in the deep south.

About what exactly?

And you have not said a word about the phenomenon of being "slain in the spirit" or any of the other claimed manifestations of the spirit. Why is that?
Maybe because the thread is titled “The WONDERFUL gift and mystery of Tongues ... a spiritual language”, which seems to provide the hint that it is about praying in the Spirit, not about being supposedly ‘slain in the Spirit’, tithing or church attendance.

Now, back in Acts, when the disciples spoke in tongues, the people around them heard them speaking in their own languages, and understood every word being said. And the result was 3,000 people being baptized that very day.
When you say “Acts”, I guess you mean Acts 2:4 and not Acts 10:46; 19:6 and of course with 1Cor 14 where Paul says in verse “For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries”.

Later, Paul does say that he thanks God that he speaks tongues more than anyone, but stop and think...how many foreign languages would he need to speak in order to do the work God had given him?
You appear to be under the false impression that speaking in tongues is about speaking in known human languages, which I grant is a common misconception within cessationist circles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
yes there was a calming where emotions and such like were not so prevalent .. however i speak of a time far after all that .. there is a time when the glory of the lord is so very present he overrides the wiling heart .. and is more then able to override the unwiling heart .. even a donkey's mouth will speak ;)(thats a dig at me haha). . .

i dont know, it seems we lack the will for abandonment these days .. and the lord does (it appears) choose to act through a wiling heart . . .
Indeed! Our contemporary western mindset seems to have us so wrapped up in ourselves where we can even either consciously or unconsciously be on our own in church amongst dozens or many hundreds of people, where we can even forget that we are supposed to be One people worshipping before the Lord.

I grant that many contemporary congregations have their worship meetings built around the seeker-sensitive ethos which means that we have essentially dumbed-down our meetings so as not to upset the sensibilities of the unsaved; this undoubtedly helps to isolate the Believer from participating in Spirit inspired worship. At least many of us have our coloured spot lights, spinning lasers and smoke machines to keep us, ummm. . .entertained, where we can shut down and stand blandly at the often over exited muso’s.

But to be in an environment where we are free to be open to the Holy Spirit and as you say to relish in that sense of abandonment.

Oh well, off to church we go!

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

TheBarrd: ...and it was also in the Apostolic period when the Scriptures were not yet complete, right?

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

umm .. well it might be because this thread is not about the phenomenon of being "slain in the spirit " .. which is after all only a descriptive term for when some one comes under the anointing strong enough that they fall down on the floor and lay there .. of course they are not "slain"(they live ) but they are laying flat on the floor so we could just as easily call it being "laid out" in the spirit lol .
i have never had it occur to me ..
when i was baptised in the holy ghost i shook from head to toe and my heels vibrated on the floor so intensely my whole body moved across the floor and it felt like warm vibrating oil was being poured over my head and shoulders and then my body bowed down at the waist under the weight of his glory ..(later at home i had dreams which brought deliverance and visions of the lord JEsus and i spoke in tongues (still do of course) but iv never fallen over backwards and laid on the floor .. so i would not know to speak of it .it would be theory and hot air .

As for others not knowing what is being talked about .. not sure what you mean by that .. do you mean others don't understand the tongue ?
that is why it is called "other tongues " and when the lord so chooses to cause another to understand a strange tongue ,that is his will and when, is his will. but it does not detract anything from the gift itself and its wonderful and diversified purpose in the Spiritual realm . :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
About what exactly?

Maybe because the thread is titled “The WONDERFUL gift and mystery of Tongues ... a spiritual language”, which seems to provide the hint that it is about praying in the Spirit, not about being supposedly ‘slain in the Spirit’, tithing or church attendance.

When you say “Acts”, I guess you mean Acts 2:4 and not Acts 10:46; 19:6 and of course with 1Cor 14 where Paul says in verse “For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries”.

You appear to be under the false impression that speaking in tongues is about speaking in known human languages, which I grant is a common misconception within cessationist circles.
yeah ..lol what you said

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

I didn't say that. What I mean is that the operation of the gifts of the Spirit are not subject to man-made rules and regulations. If we are in Christ, then our decision-making is in Christ, the basis of whether a time and place for exercising the gift is in Christ. Therefore, we are going to be listening to the voice of God and for the "red, amber or green light" on when and where we exercise a gift. God is not wanting us to be like mules that need to be led with a bit and bridle, but to make judgment calls of when it is right to exercise a gift. We don't control the Spirit, and the Spirit doesn't actually control us in the "power and control" sense. He works in partnership with us to do things right, decently and in order to ensure that God's Word is given to the group.

Of course we are still bound to the Scriptures (with its regulations and stipulations) when it comes to the fruit of the Spirit as we only know of these things from the Scriptures themselves.

Is this what the Scriptures are for? In the Early Church, they didn't have the Bible as we have it now, and there were no instructions in the Old Testament about how to go about exercising New Testament Holy
Spirit gifts. Perhaps we are so bound to the written Bible, that we have lost touch with God's voice? Are the Scriptures a law-book, or an instruction manual about how we should go about things, or are they there to show what God is really like and how we can develop our thinking to think in accordance with His thinking, so we can have personal experience and fellowship with Him? I think that the Scriptures point us to Christ. They are the rocket that propels us into the presence of God so that we will have continued personal experiences of Him and to allow Him to make up what is lacking in that experience.

I never said that either. Overriding a speaker is rude and inappropriate and against what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 14 when he said that the prophets should speak one at a time and while one is speaking anyone else with a word should stay seated until the first speaker has finished. Patience is a fruit of the Spirit, and it is usually out of impatience that someone will stand up in a meeting and interrupt a speaker instead of patiently waiting on God for the right time to give the word. Interrupting a speaker in the middle of a message is also unkind to the speaker, therefore in violation to the fruit of the Spirit, so because of those two things, impatience and unkindness, a person getting up in the middle of a service like that cannot be in the Spirit at all, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Holy Spirit said quite definitely to that person, "Sit down right now!"

Although I subscribe to standard Pentecostal theology, there is a vast difference to that and the way many Pentecostals practice tongues and prophecy. A lot of it is coming from the flesh, because it does not demonstrate the patience, kindness, gentleness and self-control that is characteristic of the Holy Spirit, and of God Himself. I would say that a lot of Pentecostal practice is not self-controlled, and therefore of the flesh, and it gives a wrong impression of how the Holy Spirit goes about things in Christian services.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

I would agree with that. When we think of patience and self-control as being fruit of the Spirit, then anything that compels us to do anything without giving us the chance to ask questions about where and when, cannot come from the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
hmm i think we can choose "not to" .. but we are compelled or why would we do so .
it even happened to king saul and was therefore said .".is saul also among the prophets?

I feel the error is quite the opposite ,where people speak of their own volition from the imaginations of the mind and not by the Holy Spirit of the living God and are not at all compelled by the holy Spirit to do so ..there is no spiritual unction (anointing ) upon them they just act carnally from the emotions .. true prophecy comes when the word of the lord comes in to AND through our lips but it does not originate within us ... "five no thought before hand what you will say .. the lord instructed those whom he told would speak before kings and rulers .. when we speak in tongues it is so, we do not by our own imaginations predetermine what we shall say ..we open our mouths in faith and let the lord speak .... and prophesy is merely the same but in the language we can comprehend .. but if we predetermine what we are about to say then it is more then likely ourself speaking and not the lord .. however we can ,in doing, so edify those around us if we are sharing the things the lord has shown us in prayer before the meeting .but we should not feign to say it is prophecy .

I would use the word "exercised" rather than "compelled". Compelling implies an element of force which is not characteristic of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
(1Co 14:37-40 NASB)37 If anyone thinks he is a prophet or spiritual, let him recognize that the things which I write to you are the Lord's commandment.
38 But if anyone does not recognize this, he is not recognized.
39 Therefore, my brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak in tongues.
40 But all things must be done properly and in an orderly manner.​

No wonder Paul is so unpopular with many, there he goes again, more "rules and regulations"; but of course, many will disregard Paul when he tries to place some order in their lives.

There is a difference between living as a new creature, not under the Law, but being in Christ, and guided by the Holy Spirit, and controlling conduct and behaviour in Christian meetings. They are two totally different areas. We are not under Law but in Christ in our approach to God and the way we live our lives in Christ. We are not bound by regulations in that area.

But, there are rules and regulations about how we conduct ourselves in Christian meetings to ensure that they are conducted decently and in order. Just because a person is in Christ and not under the Law, it does not give him or her the right to behave any old way during a Christian service.

So, it is not Paul trying to place some order in people's lives, but maintaining order in Christian services. We mustn't get confused between the two. No-one has the right to tell me how to run my life if I am in Christ and subject to Him, but a church leadership has every right to dictate to me about how I should conduct myself in church, and I am sure that the Lord would totally agree.

Upvote 0

bloodbought09

Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
united states
✟10,354.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would use the word "exercised" rather than "compelled". Compelling implies an element of force which is not characteristic of the Holy Spirit.

Compelling is used in instances like when the Roman compelled Simon to carry Jesus' cross and if they compel you to go a mile, go twain. Exercise kind of denotes growth, as in "Exercise yourself to Godliness" and "have their senses exercised to discern between good and evil". I am compelled to get the orders out as a cook. I am exercised in order to do it faster and better with diligence.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Compelling is used in instances like when the Roman compelled Simon to carry Jesus' cross and if they compel you to go a mile, go twain. Exercise kind of denotes growth, as in "Exercise yourself to Godliness" and "have their senses exercised to discern between good and evil". I am compelled to get the orders out as a cook. I am exercised in order to do it faster and better with diligence.
a verse of interest ..
acts 20 :22...
“And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there........"

to me this displays a union of compulsion AND obedience to it .
what i find in the declaration of tongues (and or prophesy) is the the compulsion is often required to get the person to become the voice piece for the lord that he may speak into the congregation .. but he seeks out a heart willing to do so .. not a heart that has no interest . not a heart that desires to be seen to be doing so for their own glory ,it is essential that any one seeking for such gifts to be manifest through them desire ZERO glory for themselves ..
we must always and ONLY desire the lord JEsus be glorified and rejoice when he so chooses to speak through another and abandon care of anything else but him and HIS will to HIS glory

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.