North Carolina
Visit site
✟48,938.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Seventh Article of Faith
7 We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

Is the following exercised in every ward?

1 Corinthians 14
(26) How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
(27) If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
(28) But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
(29) Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
(30) If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.
(31) For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.
(32) And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
(33) For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

If not then why was that important part of early church teaching not restored?

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
7 We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

1 Corinthians 14
(26) How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
(27) If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
(28) But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
(30) If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.
(31) For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.
(33) For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

It still is a important part of the church but there has to be a reason for these things to happen. And many times inhale happened it is sacred to those who are having those experiences. I have witnessed it and the interpretation thereof. People have visions all the time but they are not for everyone.

Upvote 0

Tawhano

Northland Highwayman
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟48,938.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It still is a important part of the church but there has to be a reason for these things to happen.
There is a reason according to Paul. It is to edify the church. It is not a personal event at all but should be made public and done orderly so that the church is edified.

(1Co 14:12) Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
…inhale happened…
What does “inhale” mean?

Upvote 0

Tawhano

Northland Highwayman
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟48,938.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you're expecting a floor show, then you'll be sadly disappointed.
I’m not.
While these things do indeed still take place, most of what does happen is private and only intended for specific individuals at any given time.
See my response to fatboys above.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've been at a baby blessing where a father gave a blessing which was more in the way of prophecy, don't know how it turned out we moved away. I have known people who were blessed with the gift of tongue, they were speaking with a translator when suddenly they were speaking the langue and didn't need the translator. I have felt the Holy Spirit speak through another person, I mean I felt the Holy Ghost was guiding his words.

Do they do these things in your church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tawhano

Northland Highwayman
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟48,938.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do they do these things in your church.
I no longer attend the church where I was baptized, because I moved away, but yes the spiritual gifts were exercised as outlined in 1 Corinthians 14 every Sunday in the meeting hall. This is why I ask the question of the OP. When I first heard about the seventh article I began to investigate the church; that and my wife (we were not married at the time) is a convert. I have never witness the spiritual gifts in any of the wards I attended with my wife.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I no longer attend the church where I was baptized, because I moved away, but yes the spiritual gifts were exercised as outlined in 1 Corinthians 14 every Sunday in the meeting hall. This is why I ask the question of the OP. When I first heard about the seventh article I began to investigate the church; that and my wife (we were not married at the time) is a convert. I have never witness the spiritual gifts in any of the wards I attended with my wife.

We don't have meetings like what is found in some Pentecostal churches, we have quiet meetings where the spirit dwells. Most spiritual things happen within our own homes like blessings of healing. We are also very protective of our sacred events

Mat 17
Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man,..

Luke 8
And her parents were astonished: but he charged them that they should tell no man what was done.

I have a friend whose husband was in a serious farm accident and broke his neck. He was alone and walked a mile through an orchard to find help, he honestly should have died. I asked her how he managed to make it up to the house, she looked at me and said well he wasn't alone..... sorry but my husband does not want it to go outside the family. She left me hanging with curiosity.

I personally was at an event that I would call something like a Pentecost with a spiritual feeling that was overwhelming.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I will share one event of many I have experienced. Years ago when I got on the internet I was looking for a place to have discussions about my faith. I came across a website that was just for women. I never understood that there could be just for women website so I registered under my name which can be taken as male or female. I had been on this site for almost two years when one day they brought up he subject about women and the priesthood. This was not a Mormon website but had most religions represented. I was the only Mormon so when they asked the question I told them that it would be better if my wife answered it. Well what a commotion that brought. So they voted to see if I was to remain a member or not. The vote was cast and I was accepted as their token male. During this time I had wrote a pretty good sized post on my views of the character of God. A woman emailed me asking me would I mind communicating with her more about my views of my faith. I said I would love to. She told me she as looking for a church that had the same views she had. So we started to email each other. She would ask me a question and depending on the time I had I would answer her back. But then she would immediately answer me back. After a couple of months of this I asked her how come she could answer me back so fast. She said that she was sort of bed ridden and couldn't move about to much. Her husband did the cooking but it as mostly sandwiches. Now she live about 1500 miles away from me so I couldn't be much help to her. And she knew this but she said I wish I could have a home cooked meal. I told her that I'm sure there were members of my faith that would love to bring her in a hot cooked meal. She said that would be lovely. Two days later after I made one phone call I got a email from her saying that two angels had appeared on her doorstep. They were full time sister missionaries. The told her that the ward missionaries plan to bring in a hot meal for both her and her husband. Then they she set up an appointment with them to learn more about our church.
Now while this as going on she had had some tests done on her and she was diagnosed with liver cancer. She was only given till February to live. This was in November. She didn't want yo go through chemo again. The sister missionaries had started teaching her and then she would email me with the questions they couldn't answer. She knew her bible inside and out and kept me scrambling. The most wonderful thing happened to her as she as reading the Book of Mormon. She said she knew it was the word of God. I asked her how. She didn't go into details but she said it was more than just the spirit whispering to her. I never did find out either. Anyway she was baptized on Christmas Eve. I couldn't make it out there but we were with her in spirit. Well she was suppose to be dead in February but she was alive in April. So my wife, fson who just got off a mission and my self drove to her home none stop over spring break. It was the longest drive I had been on. When we arrived she really looked bad. The cancer was ravaging her body. But she was so glad to meet in person. I got to know he husband better and found out he was a mason. Anyway we had a wonderful two day visit. Just before we left she asked if my son and I could give her a blessing. I told her we would be honored. My son anointed her head and then. Gave her a blessing. Before the blessing i Was thinking of what I was going to say. Sort of a gathering my thoughts. As I placed my hands on her head I was ready to send her on to the next life. The spirit had something else in mind. It told me it was not her time yet. I said to my self "what? Look at her". As I was silent the tension in the room was getting a little much. Again the spirit said it was not her time yet. I was scared. If I bless her that she is going to get better and she dies then what. The spirit once again said it was not her time yet. So I blessed her that it was not her time to die and that when it was her time the lord would let her know. The spirit was so strong you could cut it with a knife. Tears were running down everyone's cheeks and there was a great amount of humility and love there. Well we left and came home. Six months later she was still alive and getting better. She was even able to get out of her bed and be mobile. The church house they went to was about hour away and even though her husband didn't join the church he was with her every Sunday. That fall my wife and I flew out to see her. Apparently the cancer had died n her liver. Her body was absorbing the dead cancer cells and made her have bad body odor. This eventually cleared up and she lived another two and a half years longer. She had such a better quality life and we kept in contact with her. She had the faith that the blessing would cure her. She eventually died of heart failure. It was a wonderful experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

The gift of tongues has different interpretations, not only the charismatic interpretation. The Mormon interpretation that was explained to me is that it is a power to speak and understand a foreign language.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The gift of tongues has different interpretations, not only the charismatic interpretation. The Mormon interpretation that was explained to me is that it is a power to speak and understand a foreign language.

Acts 2
5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilæans?
8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judæa, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews andproselytes,
11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in ourtongues the wonderful works of God.
12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?

Upvote 0

Kiwi Christian

Jun 1, 2017
New Zealand
✟24,608.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

1 Corinthians 14

They redefine the meaning of "tongues". To them it means learning more than one language.

Upvote 0