The Sabbath

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Just going to church does not mean you're observing the Sabbath. For the Jew (that's who the Sabbath primarily applies to by prescription of the Law). There's a lot more to do and to not do to observe the Sabbath.

If you take your Christian life in Christ has Jesus having fulfilled every ordinance of the Law for you by grace, then you can truly enter into rest. You're "dead" anyway, and dead people are not subject to ordinances. The Law was who the Jew was wed to before. Now that man is dead and you are free from physical observances or fulfillment of the Old Covenant. You're truly free. You can honor God by setting aside a day to pray, fellowship and get into the Word, but that is not a Sabbath observance. Your Sabbath fulfillment of an everlasting observance is to abide in the rest of the Spriit by faith.

Maintaining the mindset of fulfilling the Sabbath keeps a part of you where "YOU" do what Jesus already did for you.

Stand fast in the liberty in Christ Jesus and do not be entangled in a yoke of bondage by incorporating a measure of the Law into your walk.

Upvote 0

Alexfl05

Jan 5, 2013
✟15,155.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
But keeping the Sabbath on Saturday is not a Law. Its part of the 10 Commandments that were given to all of us until Jesus comes. From Genesis to Revelations, it says that Sabbath is a holy day that God blessed and made holy and we must honor it.

Upvote 0

Ludwig van Beethoven

Dec 29, 2011
✟8,430.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I agree with the post above. It's very simple really. Saturday is the Sabbath, as it is the seventh day. That day is holy. Therefore, we must keep it so. There are people who think that saying that you must keep the Sabbath is being too "legalistic" and they say "you can't be justified by the law". It's not about justification. It's for your own good. You will stay much healthier if you rest from your work one day out of seven.

P.S. Alexfl05, at the time of writing this, you have 666 blessings. :eek:

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Just going to church does not mean you're observing the Sabbath. For the Jew (that's who the Sabbath primarily applies to by prescription of the Law). There's a lot more to do and to not do to observe the Sabbath.

If you take your Christian life in Christ has Jesus having fulfilled every ordinance of the Law for you by grace, then you can truly enter into rest. You're "dead" anyway, and dead people are not subject to ordinances. The Law was who the Jew was wed to before. Now that man is dead and you are free from physical observances or fulfillment of the Old Covenant. You're truly free. You can honor God by setting aside a day to pray, fellowship and get into the Word, but that is not a Sabbath observance. Your Sabbath fulfillment of an everlasting observance is to abide in the rest of the Spriit by faith.

Maintaining the mindset of fulfilling the Sabbath keeps a part of you where "YOU" do what Jesus already did for you.

Stand fast in the liberty in Christ Jesus and do not be entangled in a yoke of bondage by incorporating a measure of the Law into your walk.

The Spirit gave David details of the Temple service. Presumably this is the same Spirit that inhabits all believers:

1 Chronicles 28:11 Then David gave his son Solomon the plans for the portico of the temple, its buildings, its storerooms, its upper parts, its inner rooms and the place of atonement. 12 He gave him the plans of all that the Spirit had put in his mind for the courts of the temple of the Lord and all the surrounding rooms, for the treasuries of the temple of God and for the treasuries for the dedicated things. 13 He gave him instructions for the divisions of the priests and Levites, and for all the work of serving in the temple of the Lord, as well as for all the articles to be used in its service. 14 He designated the weight of gold for all the gold articles to be used in various kinds of service, and the weight of silver for all the silver articles to be used in various kinds of service: 15 the weight of gold for the gold lampstands and their lamps, with the weight for each lampstand and its lamps; and the weight of silver for each silver lampstand and its lamps, according to the use of each lampstand; 16 the weight of gold for each table for consecrated bread; the weight of silver for the silver tables; 17 the weight of pure gold for the forks, sprinkling bowls and pitchers; the weight of gold for each gold dish; the weight of silver for each silver dish; 18 and the weight of the refined gold for the altar of incense. He also gave him the plan for the chariot, that is, the cherubim of gold that spread their wings and overshadow the ark of the covenant of the Lord.

19 “All this,” David said, “I have in writing as a result of the Lord’s hand on me, and he enabled me to understand all the details of the plan.”

For Israel, walking in the Spirit means empowerment by the Spirit to walk in God's Laws:

Ezekiel 36:24 For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land.

25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

28 And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God.

In God's mind their is no conflict between the Spirit and the Law. It is our corrupt nature that twists the Law into something God did not intend.

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
The commandment to keep the Sabbath day holy is one of 10 commandments. Read up all about what is required to keep the Sabbath. See if you're doing it today (or any day of the week).

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work,
thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
Ex 20:8-11

Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death:
for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. 15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. 16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. 17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.
Ex 31:14-17

It's a perpetual covenant for the children of Israel. It was a physical observance for the physical people of Israel. It is a spiritual fulfillment in Christ to the spiritual Israel. That's why it is perpetual. We're observing it right now as we cease from our own works and enter into the walk of the Spirit.

Seen anyone put to death lately for violating this perpetual covenant?
Of course not. Is everyone pretty much violating the physical sabbath in the US? Oh yes. Is anyone being put to death. Not likely.

What difference does it make today for Israel in the Spirit/in Christ to do their physical observance? I would think none. In fact, if you're physically observing it,you're "alive" when you should be "dead" to the world and all ordinances. You're a new man in Christ and are no longer subject to them. You're whole life is a fulfillment of every requirement of the law.

The physical sabbath is a type and a shadow of our rest in Christ.
We can look at the types and shadows of the OT and learn from them. Including putting aside your distractions and focus on the Lord and on communing with Him and His Word. That's a good thing.

It's not about justification. It's for your own good. You will stay much healthier if you rest from your work one day out of seven.

If you get into bondage about "violating the Sabbath" because your place of fellowship insists on physically observing the Sabbath and not keep of it causes you to break the Sabbath, then you're in a yoke of bondage.

You're completely free from every requirement of the Law in Christ. It's not that we're disregarding it. We're fulfilling the Spirit of that Law by walking in the Spirit, by faith. Entering into the rest of God as we cease from our own works and yield to the life of God within us. We know that we're told not to forsake the gathering of ourselves, but this is not a physical observance of the Sabbath. You could call it a "Sabbath" from the standpoint of grace, but the moment if becomes a requirement then you're no longer resting on the grace of God and you're "working" (on the Sabbath no less!).

It is a "religious" demonic spirit that works its way into denominations and puts a weight on God's people that Jesus died to set us free from.

I don't mean this offensively, but while your denomination is over there physically observing the Sabbath in Jesus' name, my church is over here not even taking thought about it and getting our socks blessed off. I won't judge the Lord's servant if you choose to esteem one day above another, but realize if your physical actions are meant to fulfill a spiritual rest, then you have stopped resting (in this instance) from your labors.

While one denomination won't let their women wear pants or makeup, my church's women wear jeans and makeup and have their hair down, fixed up nicely. We do service on Sunday, but it might as well be Monday, except that we're all off on Sunday. And we're all getting blessed. We've got keyboards and horns and God ne ver left the building. All the religious spirits afflicting the people of God! It's not good!

Wouldn't you dream of coming over "here" where the freedom and liberty is,
where you don't take thought of Sabbaths, or have strict dress codes, or hair requirements, or any other carnal ordinance and just receive the grace of God as a free gift without any other fulfillment other than walking in the love of God?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alexfl05

Jan 5, 2013
✟15,155.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I agree with the post above. It's very simple really. Saturday is the Sabbath, as it is the seventh day. That day is holy. Therefore, we must keep it so. There are people who think that saying that you must keep the Sabbath is being too "legalistic" and they say "you can't be justified by the law". It's not about justification. It's for your own good. You will stay much healthier if you rest from your work one day out of seven.

P.S. Alexfl05, at the time of writing this, you have 666 blessings. :eek:

People wish they can get a day off in their week. And also.. God is, was, and always will be the same. Before the Jews existed, Sabbath was The Holy Day to HONOR. Jews were created and they were told to follow it, not as a Law. We are an olive branch entertwined with the Root (Jesus/God) of the grape vine (Jews). We must abide to His Commandments even as Revelations commands us to.

God is Spirit so He can honor it in Spirit. We are flesh AND spirit, so therefore we must honor it in both, flesh AND spirit, not just spirit. Our flesh is working like a big mule and we say we're honoring the day to God by resting in spirit? Our soul is not resting. Our soul is both spirit and flesh. So don't just make your spirit rest. Make your soul rest!

Haha that's funny. Don't worry the illuminati won't get you ^_^

Last edited:
Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I believe that we should follow the Sabbath. Having said that, I have found it to be difficult.
Have you thought about the idea that your thinking that you should is why it is difficult ?

Don't worry , though ... even those that push the Sabbath as a "should" refuse to observe all of the rules pertaining to the Sabbath . They rationalize why they don't have to but everyone else does .

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
SImple - the "Sabbath" isn't a "Day" any more - it's a PERSON - in WHOM we rest from our labor. Jesus is the Christian Sabbath, and it's not 1 day out of 7 - it's constant.

There ARE NO "Special days" in 2012. One's as good as another, and while some denominational groups get all bound up in "Sabbatarianism", the majority of the church in the U.S. gets together in their buildings on Sunday.

Exactly true. In contrast to the Obsolete Covenant of Law and works and flesh, under the New Covenant of grace and faith and Spirit there are NO "holy" days -- be they "sabbaths" or "Lord's days" (Sundays). We are free to gather at our own convenience.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tallen

Aug 4, 2006
Jackson, MI
Visit site
✟8,152.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Personal!?! How was my comment a personal comment? Please read it carefully.

I understand, it's hard when our presuppositions are challenged and a little effort is required. We may learn something along the way.

Really, it would be much more fruitful to have a sincere discussion rather than play the games. Don't you think?

Bump :wave:

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
the sabbath was never given to gentiles, or the church.

Romans 9:4 They are Israelites, and to them belong the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises.

2 Chronicles 2:4 Behold, I am about to build a house for the name of the LORD my God and dedicate it to him for the burning of incense of sweet spices before him, and for the regular arrangement of the showbread, and for burnt offerings morning and evening, on the Sabbaths and the new moons and the appointed feasts of the LORD our God, as ordained forever for Israel.

Psalm 147:19 He declares his word to Jacob, his statutes and rules to Israel.20 He has not dealt thus with any other nation; (gentiles mine) they do not know his rules.
Praise the LORD!

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A question no one has ever answered.

If the day is so important, In our modern Roman calendar is somewhere between three and 30 years off. If they don't know the accuracy of the year how do you know what day it is?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
A question no one has ever answered.

If the day is so important, In our modern Roman calendar is somewhere between three and 30 years off. If they don't know the accuracy of the year how do you know what day it is?

In order for the Sabbath day to have been lost, every Jew everywhere living in the Diaspora since Jesus day would have to SIMULTANEOUSLY FORGET which day was the Sabbath.

Does this seem likely?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In order for the Sabbath day to have been lost, every Jew everywhere living in the Diaspora since Jesus day would have to SIMULTANEOUSLY FORGET which day was the Sabbath.

Does this seem likely?

What day and year is it on the Jewish Calendar?

Upvote 0