Aug 4, 2006
Jackson, MI
Visit site
✟8,152.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
even the NLT puts the "not" in, because everyone knows it was that was the point.;)

16 So don’t let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new moon ceremonies or Sabbaths.

Have no idea what your point is here.

The reason the Apostle tells them not to let poeple judge them in these things, is because they were doing them. They were observing the holy days, new moons and Sabbaths. Things that are not judged by YHWH.

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. (Colossians 2:16-17)

Why would someone judge them for doing these things if they weren't doing them?

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Because you are missing the Apostle's point..., and straw manning the issue. We are talking about the Sabbath, which the context is not addressing. Look what the Apostle says F, "...whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?" They were never Jews, so they can't desire "again" to be under what they were never a part of. The context of these verses is not the Sabbath. Why won't u just acknowledge that? :wave:

why does he say again here, and they were never circumcised?

5:For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.

2 Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you.

ok now, 4:9 has been explained. And u still can't seem to show me how they are going in 2 directions, and u can't refute the fact, that the sabby would be the DAYS in 4:10, all jewish calendar wordage.:wave:

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Have no idea what your point is here.

The reason the Apostle tells them not to let poeple judge them in these things, is because they were doing them. They were observing the holy days, new moons and Sabbaths. Things that are not judged by YHWH.

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. (Colossians 2:16-17)

Why would someone judge them for doing these things if they weren't doing them?

for NOT doing them, were they worshipping angels? No, they were not doing that either, in 2:5 paul commended them for standing against all that stuff, no, they were not doing sabby or jewish festivals, just like how the jewish christians in Antioch, were living as gentiles, in regard to all that stuff.

Upvote 0

Tallen

Aug 4, 2006
Jackson, MI
Visit site
✟8,152.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
why does he say again here, and they were never circumcised?

5:For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.

2 Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. (Galatians 5:1-2, KJV)

Contextually he is talking about falling into the yoke of bondage..., he is not doing away with the Sabbath. You are very confused on this issue for some reason. Circumcision of the Jews has nothing to do with the Sabbath of YHWH.

ok now, 4:9 has been explained. And u still can't seem to show me how they are going in 2 directions, and u can't refute the fact, that the sabby would be the DAYS in 4:10, all jewish calendar wordage.:wave:

Not hardly, they are words used of any calendar. You must show that he is, in particular, talking about the Sabbath, which he is not. Just asserting the matter because you think it is there, does nothing. You are straw manning what has been said and terribly misunderstanding the Apostle, IMO. Then on top of that, you are arguing about points that haven't been made and making up things to assert as though we are talking about the same thing. If you think I am trying to say that we are justified by the law, I am not. The Apostle and I agree in that point.

Upvote 0

Tallen

Aug 4, 2006
Jackson, MI
Visit site
✟8,152.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
for NOT doing them, were they worshipping angels? No, they were not doing that either, in 2:5 paul commended them for standing against all that stuff, no, they were not doing sabby or jewish festivals, just like how the jewish christians in Antioch, were living as gentiles, in regard to all that stuff.

F, you sure do destroy context and read into the text.

For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ. (Colossians 2:5, KJV)

If there is a better example of reading into a verse, I haven't seen it.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. (Galatians 5:1-2, KJV)

Contextually he is talking about falling into the yoke of bondage..., he is not doing away with the Sabbath. You are very confused on this issue for some reason. Circumcision of the Jews has nothing to do with the Sabbath of YHWH.

Not hardly, they are words used of any calendar. You must show that he is, in particular, talking about the Sabbath, which he is not. Just asserting the matter because you think it is there, does nothing. You are straw manning what has been said and terribly misunderstanding the Apostle, IMO. Then on top of that, you are arguing about points that haven't been made and making up things to assert as though we are talking about the same thing. If you think I am trying to say that we are justified by the law, I am not. The Apostle and I agree in that point.

but it proves by the same again word in 5:1, that judaism was the isse in 4:9-11, and that was sabby, as per the calendar words, they were not going in 2 different directions.

how can u argue those are not calendar words...?

again, your weak spot is the fact, that they were headed into judaism u can't refute 4;21, and 5;3, as the direction under judaizers, they were not paganizers, were they?

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
F, you sure do destroy context and read into the text.

For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ. (Colossians 2:5, KJV)

If there is a better example of reading into a verse, I haven't seen it.

look, it"s right there, good order, and steadfastness..they had not succumeb, that is why paul said, i say thiws so u r not taken captive in 2:4, and 2;8, they were not taken yet, and they were not under jewish festivals.

good order is l military wordage, they were standing against the opponents shoulder to shoulder 2;5 is clear.

so again, no sabby, no circumcision, no feasts, harsh body treatments, angel worship, were the things to avoid. if you think paul is promoting sabby keeping in col 2, then we have to presume he is also supporting all those other things too. contextual flow bro....;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
A round and a round we go, it's a merry-go-round. tyfyt
As in *all* christian "discussions" ...
When christians are debating things , very , very few are willing to understand ( let alone , agree with ) the other povs .
It is fun to continue to deabte , anyway . :)

That is not to say that people continue to disagree just to keep from admitting that they are wrong . Sometimes , the other arguments simply fall short .

Upvote 0

Alexfl05

Jan 5, 2013
✟15,155.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Isn't this enough passages to understand that we need to keep the 10 Commandments and not the Law. Sabbath is part of the Commandments.

Matthew 19:17, "If you want to enter eternal life, keep the commandments

John 15:10, "If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love, just as I kept my Father’s commandments and remain in his love."

1st Corinthians 7:19, "Circumcision is nothing; not being circumcised is nothing. What matters is keeping God’s commandments."

1 John 3:22, "We receive whatever we ask from him because we keep his commandments and do what pleases him."

John 4:24, "God is spirit, and it is necessary to worship God in spirit and truth

Romans 12:1-2, "So, brothers and sisters, because of God’s mercies, I encourage you to present your bodies as a living sacrifice that is holy and pleasing to God. This is your appropriate priestly service. 2 Don’t be conformed to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds so that you can figure out what God’s will is—what is good and pleasing and mature."

1 John 2:4, "The one who claims, “I know him,” while not keeping his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in this person."

2 Corinthians 4:4, "The god of this age has blinded the minds of those who don’t have faith so they couldn’t see the light of the gospel that reveals Christ’s glory. Christ is the image of God."

And please do tell me, how Sabbath doesn't need to be followed. Just like the Jews are stubborn and ignorant in realizing that Jesus is our Lord and Savior, So do you about Sabbath.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alexfl05

Jan 5, 2013
✟15,155.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
if you look at the video the council of Nicea , the early church meet on the 8th day, 1st day of the week, sunday, and did not keep the Sabbath.

this was before the council at Nicea.

That's inconsistent. The 8th day of the week would be Sunday, then Monday, then Tuesday and so on. 8th day... Bible is so huge and doesn't have one part about 8th day.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Below is an interesting video on the topic.

A Rabbi Looks at Jesus of Nazareth - Part 8 | GOD TV

Jonathan Bernis is not a rabbi. No indication in his bio that he was ever ordained at all.

He is a Jewish believer who calls himself a rabbi.

Now, if you want to read about a REAL ordained orthodox rabbi who became a believer and stayed within Judaism, look up Yitzhak Lichtenestein.

Here are a few more:

Zvi Soloveitchik possibly.

Rabbi Daniel Zion.

Rabbi Yechiel Tzvi Lichtenstein

Upvote 0

Alexfl05

Jan 5, 2013
✟15,155.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You can think anything but I've been hearing, and still am hearing how God tells pastors about Sabbath in visions and prophesies and churches accept and follow Sabbath. There is sadly, some churches that don't accept and follow Sabbath because they fear the people not the Lord.

Why everybody doesn't just hear, believe and accept? Unfortunately I don't know...

Upvote 0