Aug 4, 2006
Jackson, MI
Visit site
✟8,152.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I knew you'd pounce on the translation. ;)

:cool:

Instead of focusing on the person, Pete, let's focus on the Greek. OK?

I have made a point that is made from the Greek, would you like to pursue that and discuss it?

Let's look at the scriptures, the context, the Apostle's meaning, the revelation being given..., and not the personal stuff. Deal? :holy:

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understand, it's hard when our presuppositions are challenged and a little effort is required. We may learn something along the way.

rolleyes.gif

Well, so much for not getting "personal".

Upvote 0

Tallen

Aug 4, 2006
Jackson, MI
Visit site
✟8,152.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
rolleyes.gif

Well, so much for not getting "personal".

Personal!?! How was my comment a personal comment? Please read it carefully.

I understand, it's hard when our presuppositions are challenged and a little effort is required. We may learn something along the way.

Really, it would be much more fruitful to have a sincere discussion rather than play the games. Don't you think?

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
You and I have no authority to carry out such things, it is the courts and government that should do such things.

HUH!?!

It says no such thing. This is a response to what he has posed.

Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods. (Galatians 4:8, KJV)

They were pagans who were servicing gods who are not gods. They were observing the days, months, times and years of the pagan religions. Much like Christianity today who is observing the calendar of the RCC.

What Pagan god was observing the Sabbath and the days of YHWH's calendar? None.

Then the Apostle asks:

But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? (Galatians 4:9, KJV)

After he has shown them the way, why are they turning back to the weaker things that he delivered them from. Why are they going back to the Pagan ways that had them in bondage?

And he adds:

Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain. (Galatians 4:10-11, KJV)

It is the old way, the way that he has shown them was vainity, that they are turning back toward.

BTW, the Apostle wouldn't tell the Galatians that the Sabbath was bad, then keep it himself and tell the Colossians that they shouldn't let others judge them about.

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. (Colossians 2:16-17, KJV)

In fact, the Apostle tells the Colossians that the Sabbath days are a shadow of things to come. It is something that others have no understanding about and that they shouldn't let them judge them about such things. The Sabbath is something that we should do, and false teachers try to stop. That is the context of Colossians 2.

Colossians 2:16-17 - Blogs - LAD Forums

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. (Exodus 20:8, KJV)

nope, why would the judaizers get them under a pagan calendar? 4:21 says, you desire to be under law, they can't go in 2 directions can they?;) circumcised, keep the whole law, Gal 5;3, that shows the direction in which they were headed. it was not back to paganism, was it?

they were returning this time to a similar religion of judaism, they left their theophostic ritualistic old one, this time to the bondage of ritualistic judaism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
You and I have no authority to carry out such things, it is the courts and government that should do such things.

HUH!?!

Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods. (Galatians 4:8, KJV)

They were pagans who were servicing gods who are not gods. They were observing the days, months, times and years of the pagan religions. Much like Christianity today who is observing the calendar of the RCC.

Then the Apostle asks:

But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? (Galatians 4:9, KJV)

After he has shown them the way, why are they turning back to the weaker things that he delivered them from. Why are they going back to the Pagan ways that had them in bondage?

And he adds:

Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain. (Galatians 4:10-11, KJV)

It is the old way, the way that he has shown them was vainity, that they are turning back toward.

BTW, the Apostle wouldn't tell the Galatians that the Sabbath was bad, then keep it himself and tell the Colossians that they shouldn't let others judge them about.

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. (Colossians 2:16-17, KJV)

In fact, the Apostle tells the Colossians that the Sabbath days are a shadow of things to come. It is something that others have no understanding about and that they shouldn't let them judge them about such things. The Sabbath is something that we should do, and false teachers try to stop. That is the context of Colossians 2.

context bro..look at the next verse, it was about judaism. Even the Jewish Christians in Antioch, were living as gentiles, that is a fact. Look at the"'I became as you" gentiles in 4:12.

gal 4: AMPLIFIED10 You observe [particular] days and months and seasons and years!

11 I am alarmed [about you], lest I have labored among and over you to no purpose and in vain.

12 Brethren, I beg of you, become as I am [free from the bondage of Jewish ritualism and ordinances], for I also have become as you are [a Gentile]. You did me no wrong in the days when I first came to you; do not do it now].

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Wow!!! Thanks for pointing out how that translation mangles the Greek and the translators put their theology right into the translation. Interesting you would point to something like that.

Can you show me the highlighted part in the Greek. Thanks.

As I see it, it should read, "For these are a shadow of things to come and the body of Christ." Note there is no comma in the Greek and the fulfillment is the body of Christ. In other words, the shadow of what is to come, and the shadow that is in the Sabbath, is showing us the complete body of Messiah. A future event. Isn't that cool?

Also PR, have you notice that this is in a future tense? The Apostle hasn't claimed that they are things that have come to pass, past tense and thereby eliminating them. But are shadows of things to come, future. Even the mangled translation you refer to says that. These things are showing us the future role of the body of Messiah when it is complete and functioning in His future Kingdom.

Blessings.

but it says the substance came in the next verse, the NIV and HCSB put came in 2:17.

besides, no getting around the context, paul was warding all that stuff off from 2:16 onward, pay attention to the THEREFORE of 2:16.

do we want to worship angels, or get physically circumcised, or parctice harsh bodily treatments? no!

So we don"t need to bother with sabby either, forget the jewish calendar, and that was the wordage, calendrical. Judaism same as here.

2 Chron 2:4 Behold, I am about to build a house for the name of the Lord my God and dedicate it to him for the burning of incense of sweet spices before him, and for the regular arrangement of the showbread, and for burnt offerings morning and evening, on the Sabbaths and the new moons and the appointed feasts of the Lord our God, as ordained forever for Israel.

If u think we have to keep sabby, then contextually we can worship angels.:D

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

HUH!?!

Then the Apostle asks:

And he adds:

even the NLT puts the "not" in, because everyone knows it was that was the point.;)

16 So don’t let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new moon ceremonies or Sabbaths.

Upvote 0

Tallen

Aug 4, 2006
Jackson, MI
Visit site
✟8,152.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
12 Brethren, I beg of you, become as I am [free from the bondage of Jewish ritualism and ordinances], for I also have become as you are [a Gentile]. You did me no wrong in the days when I first came to you; do not do it now].

Whoa!!! Hold on a minute F. I agree that we should look at context, but what you are doing is reading the above commentary as though it is in the Greek. It is not, nor does it suggest what your commentary (that's what the Amplified really is, not a translation per se') adds to the text. Here is a perfectly good translation of the Greek:

Brethren, I beseech you, be as I am; for I am as ye are: ye have not injured me at all. (Galatians 4:12, KJV)

γινεσθε ως εγω οτι καγω ως υμεις αδελφοι δεομαι υμων ουδεν με ηδικησατε (Galatians 4:12, TR)

The idea of becoming free from the Jewish religion is no where implied in the verse. He is continuing his thoughts about the Galatians falling back into their Paganism and false religion. It has nothing to do with them trying to be "Jewish". He is telling them to be as he is, without Paganism and the false religion they once had. The warning and context is clear. He is telling the Galatians that they are hiers of YHWH through Messiah, and warning them to be careful and not fall back into the bondage they were once in, which has nothing at all with trying to be Jewish. They were never Jewish to begin with.

Secondly, the "Jewish rituals and ordinances" are not biblical, but extra-biblical teachings added to the Torah. These rituals and ordinances were the common practice among the Pharisees, which the Apostle claimed he once was. This "Oral Law" superceded and was held above the written word of YHWH, exactly against what YHWH had said in the Torah. But this idea isn't what the Apostle was addressing here in Galatians specifically, although he did leave the false religion of the Pharisees and was staying away from falling back into their error. He often calls this religion the religion of the Jews, which was and is not, the religion of scripture.

And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ. Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods. But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain. Brethren, I beseech you, be as I am; for I am as ye are: ye have not injured me at all. (Galatians 4:6-12, KJV)

In fact F, these verses have nothing at all to do with Sabbath.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Whoa!!! Hold on a minute F. I agree that we should look at context, but what you are doing is reading the above commentary as though it is in the Greek. It is not, nor does it suggest what your commentary (that's what the Amplified really is, not a translation per se') adds to the text. Here is a perfectly good translation of the Greek:

Brethren, I beseech you, be as I am; for I am as ye are: ye have not injured me at all. (Galatians 4:12, KJV)

γινεσθε ως εγω οτι καγω ως υμεις αδελφοι δεομαι υμων ουδεν με ηδικησατε (Galatians 4:12, TR)

The idea of becoming free from the Jewish religion is no where implied in the verse. He is continuing his thoughts about the Galatians falling back into their Paganism and false religion. It has nothing to do with them trying to be "Jewish". He is telling them to be as he is, without Paganism and the false religion they once had. The warning and context is clear. He is telling the Galatians that they are hiers of YHWH through Messiah, and warning them to be careful and not fall back into the bondage they were once in, which has nothing at all with trying to be Jewish. They were never Jewish to begin with.

Secondly, the "Jewish rituals and ordinances" are not biblical, but extra-biblical teachings added to the Torah. These rituals and ordinances were the common practice among the Pharisees, which the Apostle claimed he once was. This "Oral Law" superceded and was held above the written word of YHWH, exactly against what YHWH had said in the Torah. But this idea isn't what the Apostle was addressing here in Galatians specifically, although he did leave the false religion of the Pharisees and was staying away from falling back into their error. He often calls this religion the religion of the Jews, which was and is not, the religion of scripture.

And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ. Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods. But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain. Brethren, I beseech you, be as I am; for I am as ye are: ye have not injured me at all. (Galatians 4:6-12, KJV)

no no no..how else could Paul mean, he became like them in 4:12?^_^

how could they head in 2 different directions, under judaizers?

u are not dealing with the clear text..

direction shown here, no? does it say if snipped go to paganism?

4:21 Tell me, you who desire to be under the law, do you not listen to the law?

5:3 I testify again to every man who accepts circumcision that he is obligated to keep the whole law.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

Secondly, the "Jewish rituals and ordinances" are not biblical, but extra-biblical teachings added to the Torah. These rituals and ordinances were the common practice among the Pharisees, which the Apostle claimed he once was. This "Oral Law"
show me oral law in galatians. he quotes lev 18:5 in gal 3:12, and says the law came 430 years after Abraham in 3:17, were the pharisees around then? Nope! He talks about the curse of the law , the BOOK of the law, and the cross in chapter 3, and subsequent redemption, was that oral law redemption, the book of the law was oral there, huh?? No, the book was about THE LAW, unless u got text to prove oral law in galatians.
superceded and was held above the written word of YHWH, exactly against what YHWH had said in the Torah. But this idea isn't what the Apostle was addressing here in Galatians specifically, although he did leave the false religion of the Pharisees and was staying away from falling back into their error. He often calls this religion the religion of the Jews, which was and is not, the religion of scripture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
gee..i guess the scriptures that shut up all under sin, were not the bible, but oral law on Paul's mind.:D scripture, sin and law in these two verses, it was not oral law in Gal.

3:22 But the Scripture imprisoned everything under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.

23 Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law, imprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed.

Upvote 0

Tallen

Aug 4, 2006
Jackson, MI
Visit site
✟8,152.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
show me oral law in galatians. he quotes lev 18:5 in gal 3:12, and says the law came 430 years after Abraham in 3:17, were the pharisees around then? Nope! He talks about the curse of the law and the cross in chapter 3, and subsequent redemption, was that oral law redemption?

You didn't read what I said. I agree, the context of Galatians 4 is not the oral law. It is about the Galatians falling back into the Pagan religion that they once held, serving gods that were not God. That is the context. You missed what was so clearly said, "they were never Jewish to begin with", so I am not arguing that they are trying to fall back into that religion.

Before you appeal to the outside context of Galatians 3, let's look at the context of Galatians 4:12 and the immediate text..., which I have already given you twice now. Reading a misunderstanding of Galatians 3 into misunderstanding of Galatians 4 is no help at all.

Secondly, I never said that the Apostle was arguing against the Oral Law in Galatians 4. The point was made that he was like them, and had left a false religion of the Pharisees. And he to was trying not to fall back into the trap of a false religion. That is why he is like them and they are like him. Read this carefully:

This has nothing to do, at all, with them observing the Sabbath.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
You didn't read what I said. I agree, the context of Galatians 4 is not the oral law. It is about the Galatians falling back into the Pagan religion that they once held, serving gods that were not God. That is the context. You missed what was so clearly said, "they were never Jewish to begin with", so I am not arguing that they are trying to fall back into that religion.

Before you appeal to the outside context of Galatians 3, let's look at the context of Galatians 4:12 and the immediate text..., which I have already given you twice now. Reading a misunderstanding of Galatians 3 into misunderstanding of Galatians 4 is no help at all.

Secondly, I never said that the Apostle was arguing against the Oral Law in Galatians 4. The point was made that he was like them, and had left a false religion of the Pharisees. And he to was trying not to fall back into the trap of a false religion. That is why he is like them and they are like him. Read this carefully:

This has nothing to do, at all, with them observing the Sabbath.

how can they go into two directions as per 4;21, and 5:3, and i can sink this whole usage of the AGAIN WORD in 4:9 also...

ok, here is the AGAIN word in 5:1, do not return AGAIN, to bondage, and be circumcised, were they ever circumcised, why does it say again here too, like in 4:9, and we see it was about circumcision? It says again, no? wasn't he saying don't return to bondage, and it was the law in 5?

5:For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.

2 Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you

bottom line, paul called his law life bondage in gal 4;3, and they were returning again, to another religious bondage, AGAIN...this time judaism, unless u can show me wrong on 4:21 and 5;3, as the direction that they were headed to.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Law, from Paul and others.:wave:

Peter said the law was a yoke, he nor the fathers could bear, Acts 15:10, and it would test God to add it to the church.

James said not to burden with the law either in Acts 15.

Jesus in revelation 2:24 said he does not lay any other burden, same words as James in Acts 15.

It was dung life in Phil 3.

The power of sin is the law 1 Cor 15:56.

The law was temporary Gal 3:19.

The law was for children Gal 4:3.

The law works wrath Rom 4:15.

Sinful passions were aroused under law Rom 7:5.

The law is not the gospel Gal 3:9-10.

Life under law is cursed Gal 3:10 and 3:13.

The law is not of promise Gal 3:18 and Rom 4:14.

They received the Spirit not by law Gal 3:2.

They did not have miracles by law Gal 3:5.

The law does not justify Rom 3:20.

the law did not give life Gal 3:21.

The law did not sanctify Gal 3:3,

The law was added to increase the trespass, not take it away, Rom5:20.

Sin has dominion under law Rom 6:14.

Law life was bondage Gal 2:4, Gal 4:3, Gal 4:25, Gal 5:1.

To be severed from Christ, was to be under law, imagine that! Gal 5:4.

The law was called a strict pedagogue (tutor) of gal 3:24, a strict disciplinarian, not very flattering, which fits into the context of the prison warden words of 3:24.

The law was elemental Gal 4:3.

The law was called a prison that held in sin Gal 3:22-23.

The law is not grace Rom 11:6.

We are not heirs by law Rom 4:16.

The law is not of faith Gal 3:12.

The law is not the cross Gal 5:11 and Gal 3:1.

The law was abolished Eph 2:15.

The law was nailed to the cross Col 2:14,

The law caused division between Gentile and Jew in Eph 2:14-15.

The law caused enmity with God and man, Eph 2:16-18.

We are not sons by law Gal 4:6, the law was a ministry of death and condemnation 2 Cor 3:7-9.

The law could not cleanse guilt Heb 9:14 and 10:4,

To revert to the old cov was to spurn the Spirit of grace and the blood of the Cov, it was sin Heb 10:26-29.

Christ is the end of the law Rom 10:4.

There was a time when there was no law Rom 5:13.

It was a ministry of death and condemnation, 2 Corinthians 3.

We are not under law, Gal 5:18, Romans 6:14.

The old cov was abolished, Heb 8:13, 10:9.
In Galatians 4:10-11, Paul said he wasted his time on them, if they got under Sabbath, the law, the Jewish calendar, and the basically same thing in Colossians 2:16.
Whew!

Upvote 0

Tallen

Aug 4, 2006
Jackson, MI
Visit site
✟8,152.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Before we address the misconception your reading into all of these out of context verses, let's talk about the subject at hand, Galatians 4.

The topic is the Sabbath, and these verses were used to say that the Sabbath was done away, or some such thing. What has these verses to do with the Sabbath? Nothing. What do they have to do with Judaism? Nothing. The Galatians were never Jews, they never kept the Sabbath. Where do these verse mention the Sabbath? NO WHERE.

These verses have nothing at all to do with Sabbath.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Before we address the misconception your reading into all of these out of context verses, let's talk about the subject at hand, Galatians 4.

The topic is the Sabbath, and these verses were used to say that the Sabbath was done away, or some such thing. What has these verses to do with the Sabbath? Nothing. What do they have to do with Judaism? Nothing. The Galatians were never Jews, they never kept the Sabbath. Where do these verse mention the Sabbath? NO WHERE.

These verses have nothing at all to do with Sabbath.

those were calendar words, that would be sabby inclusive, seasons, months, days , years, calendar, sabby..

bro, why won't u just acknowledge, the were heading into jewish law, as per 4;21, and 5;3, we can save time here.:D

Upvote 0

Tallen

Aug 4, 2006
Jackson, MI
Visit site
✟8,152.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
those were calendar words, that would be sabby inclusive, seasons, months, days , years, calendar, sabby..

bro, why won't u just acknowledge, the were heading into jewish law, as per 4;21, and 5;3, we can save time here.:D

Because you are missing the Apostle's point..., and straw manning the issue. We are talking about the Sabbath, which the context is not addressing. Look what the Apostle says F, "...whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?" They were never Jews, so they can't desire "again" to be under what they were never a part of. The context of these verses is not the Sabbath. Why won't u just acknowledge that? :wave:

Upvote 0