Visit site
✟543,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Hello, brother! Most Christians believe the Holy Spirit is able to give guidance.
Brother, the Holy Spirit's guidance is through the guaranteed word of God by the prophets in the scriptures, and He is silent otherwise.

“Beware that you don’t look down on any of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels are always in the presence of my heavenly Father. (Matthew 18:10 NLT)​

According to our prophetess, the ones who are "prompting us to a better course, choosing our words for us, and influencing our actions" are our angels.

We know not what results a day, an hour, or a moment may determine, and never should we begin the day without committing our ways to our heavenly Father. His angels are appointed to watch over us, and if we put ourselves under their guardianship, then in every time of danger they will be at our right hand. When unconsciously we are in danger of exerting a wrong influence, the angels will be by our side, prompting us to a better course, choosing our words for us, and influencing our actions. (Christ's Object Lessons, pages 341-342)​

United in our hope for the soon return of Jesus, Jorge

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Brother, the Holy Spirit's guidance is through the guaranteed word of God by the prophets in the scriptures, and He is silent otherwise.

“Beware that you don’t look down on any of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels are always in the presence of my heavenly Father. (Matthew 18:10 NLT)​

According to our prophetess, the ones who are "prompting us to a better course, choosing our words for us, and influencing our actions" are our angels.

We know not what results a day, an hour, or a moment may determine, and never should we begin the day without committing our ways to our heavenly Father. His angels are appointed to watch over us, and if we put ourselves under their guardianship, then in every time of danger they will be at our right hand. When unconsciously we are in danger of exerting a wrong influence, the angels will be by our side, prompting us to a better course, choosing our words for us, and influencing our actions. (Christ's Object Lessons, pages 341-342)​

Hi, brother :heart:

The apostles and elders are facing a new situation in Acts 15: what should gentiles in gentile lands do about the law, which required frequent visits to the temple in Jerusalem?

The Holy Spirit guided the council in Jerusalem to make the right decision without specific scriptures on the subject.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No, those would not be other words for what I said :heart:

You may wish to check out more details that I give right above in post #123 :)
You are saying God changed His mind. What He once said He no longer supports. That violates scripture.

Hebrews 13:
7 Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.
8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
9 Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein.

Since Jesus is God and never changes you're therefore arguing with scripture and saying the HS does the same.

Upvote 0

guevaraj

an oil seller in the story of the ten virgins
Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟543,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
The apostles and elders are facing a new situation in Acts 15: what should gentiles in gentile lands do about the law, which required frequent visits to the temple in Jerusalem? The Holy Spirit guided the council in Jerusalem to make the right decision without specific scriptures on the subject.
Brother, Paul was among them! They were guided by the Holy Spirit because Paul was a prophet. Paul's call to be a prophet is in the following passage where God would use him to tell us what God would "show" Him "in the future"!

Now get to your feet! For I have appeared to you to appoint you as my servant and witness. Tell people that you have seen me, and tell them what I will show you in the future. (Acts 26:16 NLT)​

Paul is a prophet after Moses when the people asked that God not speak directly to them so that they would not die.

Moses continued, “The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your fellow Israelites. You must listen to him. For this is what you yourselves requested of the LORD your God when you were assembled at Mount Sinai. You said, ‘Don’t let us hear the voice of the LORD our God anymore or see this blazing fire, for we will die.’ “Then the LORD said to me, ‘What they have said is right. I will raise up a prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites. I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell the people everything I command him. I will personally deal with anyone who will not listen to the messages the prophet proclaims on my behalf. But any prophet who falsely claims to speak in my name or who speaks in the name of another god must die.’ “But you may wonder, ‘How will we know whether or not a prophecy is from the LORD?’ If the prophet speaks in the LORD’s name but his prediction does not happen or come true, you will know that the LORD did not give that message. That prophet has spoken without my authority and need not be feared. (Deuteronomy 18:15-22 NLT)​

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are saying God changed His mind.
No, that's not what I'm saying.

What He once said He no longer supports. That violates scripture.

Hebrews 13:
7 Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.
8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
9 Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein.

Since Jesus is God and never changes you're therefore arguing with scripture and saying the HS does the same.
I'm saying that the Holy Spirit can give guidance in addition to what is specifically stated in the scriptures :)

"...to lay upon you no greater burden than these essentials..."
That's not a quote of other scriptures. That's new :)

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Brother, Paul was among them! They were guided by the Holy Spirit because Paul was a prophet.
Brother, you wrote "in the scriptures"

Paul's call to be a prophet is in the following passage where God would use him to tell us what God would "show" Him "in the future"!

Now get to your feet! For I have appeared to you to appoint you as my servant and witness. Tell people that you have seen me, and tell them what I will show you in the future. (Acts 26:16 NLT)​

Paul is a prophet after Moses when the people asked that God not speak directly to them so that they would not die.

Moses continued, “The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your fellow Israelites. You must listen to him. For this is what you yourselves requested of the LORD your God when you were assembled at Mount Sinai. You said, ‘Don’t let us hear the voice of the LORD our God anymore or see this blazing fire, for we will die.’ “Then the LORD said to me, ‘What they have said is right. I will raise up a prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites. I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell the people everything I command him. I will personally deal with anyone who will not listen to the messages the prophet proclaims on my behalf. But any prophet who falsely claims to speak in my name or who speaks in the name of another god must die.’ “But you may wonder, ‘How will we know whether or not a prophecy is from the LORD?’ If the prophet speaks in the LORD’s name but his prediction does not happen or come true, you will know that the LORD did not give that message. That prophet has spoken without my authority and need not be feared. (Deuteronomy 18:15-22 NLT)​

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sister, happy Sabbath, starting this Friday, December 8, 2023, at 9:35 AM EST! Here is what we know about the Holy Spirit: "He will not speak on His own but will tell you what He has heard". We are told the Holy Spirit is silent, yet most people excuse replacing the Sabbath with Sunday as following a silent Holy Spirit.
Personal "revelation" is not authoritative for the church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

guevaraj

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟543,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
This is another example of the Spirit giving direction in addition to the scriptures
Brother, the word "Holy" before Spirit was added by the translators and is not found in the original! It could be Jesus who Paul tells us is our model "Spirit" to follow.

The Spirit told Philip, “Go to that chariot and stay near it.” (Acts 8:29 NIV)​

The difference Paul speaks of after Jesus than before Jesus is that God is no longer reliant on telling us what to do in the written Ten Commandments in stone that Judaism failed to obey. They failed to obey the instructions written in stone as one may fail to properly replace a window without being shown what to do, relying on a brief manual they fail to fully obey. God, recognizing the failure of the written Ten Commandments on the resulting sons of Hagar in Judaism, now offers instead the superior glory of Jesus showing us what to do through the model "Spirit" of Jesus to follow in God's original desire to have sons of Sarah and not sons of Hagar, made clear in the following passage. My example analogy following of replacing a window will show through our common experience how more complete it is to be shown instead of being told what to do. Now it is about obeying the previous Ten Commandments as Jesus obeyed them in the Eleventh Commandment, which includes the previous Ten Commandments, instead of us being told in stone, now shown through the model "Spirit" of Jesus, which people wrongly think is the Holy Spirit they are to follow when it is Jesus' exemplary life who is the model "Spirit" to follow made clear in the following passage from Paul. Critical to the proper understanding of this passage is that God is Spirit: Jesus being God is Spirit. What is compared is Jesus' example of obedience to the Ten Commandments as more complete than the written Ten Commandments. To understand this comparison I will use the analogy of replacing a broken window. No doubt it is more complete to follow a professional installer's example than partially follow the instructions in a brief manual. The reason the old written law ends in death for Judaism is that they sabotaged God's law to not remove sin that Paul protects against by focusing on sin rather than obeying human law as Judaism did. Judaism obeyed the commandment of not misusing God's name by not pronouncing His name at all. This incomplete obedience skipped the law's purpose to remove sin from our character. They would have learned to use God's name without sinning had they done what God asked instead of replacing what God asked with their own "human effort" to obey that did not remove the sin that doing what God asked would have removed.

We are confident of all this because of our great trust in God through Christ (as the model "Spirit" to follow). It is not that we think we are qualified to do anything on our own (like excusing our disobedience of the Ten Commandments as coming from the Holy Spirit). Our qualification comes from God (sending us Jesus as the model "Spirit" to follow). He has enabled us to be ministers of his new covenant (Jesus as the model "Spirit" to follow). This is a covenant not of the letter (Ten Commandments), but of the Spirit (Jesus as the model "Spirit" to follow and not the Holy Spirit used as an excuse to disobey the Ten Commandments when Jesus obeyed them). The letter ends in death (sabotaged by Judaism to not remove sin); but the Spirit (Jesus as the model "Spirit" to follow) gives life (the removal of sin). The old way (God's "order" by the prophet Moses), with letters etched in stone (Ten Commandments), led to death (sabotaged by Judaism to not remove sin), though it began with such glory (leading to righteousness) that the people of Israel could not bear to look at Moses’ face. For his face shone with the glory of God (which is His righteousness expressed in the Ten Commandments), even though the brightness was already fading away (Judaism's unwillingness to obey "all" the Ten Commandments). Shouldn’t we expect far greater glory under the new way (Jesus as the model "Spirit" to follow), now that the Holy (added by the translators) Spirit (not the Holy Spirit but Jesus as the model "Spirit" to follow) gives life? If the old way (written letters etched in stone), which brings condemnation (Judaism not fully obeying "all" the Ten Commandments by replacing them with human "law"), was glorious (leading to righteousness), how much more glorious (leading to righteousness) is the new way (Jesus as the model "Spirit" to follow), which makes us right with God (removes sin)! In fact, that first glory (which led to righteousness) was not glorious at all compared with the overwhelming glory (leading to righteousness) of the new way (Jesus as the model "Spirit" to follow). So if the old way (written letters etched in stone), which has been replaced, was glorious (led to righteousness), how much more glorious (leading to righteousness) is the new (Jesus as the model "Spirit" to follow), which remains forever! Since this new way (of following the model "Spirit" of Jesus, rather than Judaism's human "law") gives us such confidence, we can be very bold (learning to use God's name properly, which Judaism does not). We are not like Moses, who put a veil over his face so the people of Israel would not see the glory (of God's righteousness), even though it was destined to fade away (by Judaism's unwillingness to obey all the Ten Commandments). But the people’s minds were hardened (to not obey all the Ten Commandments), and to this day whenever the old covenant is being read, the same veil covers their minds so they cannot understand the truth (of the failure of replacing God's Commandments with their own human law). And this veil can be removed only by believing in Christ (as the model "Spirit" to follow). Yes, even today when they read Moses’ writings, their hearts are covered with that veil, and they do not understand (they failed to obey all of God's Ten Commandments by substituting them with human "law"). But whenever someone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. For the Lord is the Spirit (Jesus is the model "Spirit" to follow who obeyed the Ten Commandments as our example and Paul is not referring to the Holy Spirit as an excuse to disobey the Ten Commandments), and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom (from sin and not from God's Ten Commandments). So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord (in obeying the Ten Commandments). And the Lord—who is the Spirit (Jesus is the model "Spirit" Paul is telling us to follow and not the Holy Spirit, whose job is to tell us things through prophets and remind us of Jesus as the model "Spirit" to follow)—makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image. (2 Corinthians 3:4-18 NLT fixed and overlaid with commentary)​

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Brother, the word "Holy" before Spirit was added by the translators and is not found in the original!
Brother, I posted the NLT only because I thought it was your preferred translation :)

Here is a more literal rendering

It could be Jesus who Paul tells us is our model "Spirit" to follow.
As I understand the scriptures, the Holy Spirit is also called the Spirit of Christ and the Spirit of God.

You're right, we can also say that the Spirit of Christ told Philip to go up to the chariot :)

The Spirit told Philip, “Go to that chariot and stay near it.” (Acts 8:29 NIV)​

The difference Paul speaks of after Jesus than before Jesus is that God is no longer reliant on telling us what to do in the written Ten Commandments in stone that Judaism failed to obey. They failed to obey the instructions written in stone as one may fail to properly replace a window without being shown what to do, relying on a brief manual they fail to fully obey. God, recognizing the failure of the written Ten Commandments on the resulting sons of Hagar in Judaism, now offers instead the superior glory of Jesus showing us what to do through the model "Spirit" of Jesus to follow in God's original desire to have sons of Sarah and not sons of Hagar, made clear in the following passage. My example analogy following of replacing a window will show through our common experience how more complete it is to be shown instead of being told what to do. Now it is about obeying the previous Ten Commandments as Jesus obeyed them in the Eleventh Commandment, which includes the previous Ten Commandments, instead of us being told in stone, now shown through the model "Spirit" of Jesus, which people wrongly think is the Holy Spirit they are to follow when it is Jesus' exemplary life who is the model "Spirit" to follow made clear in the following passage from Paul. Critical to the proper understanding of this passage is that God is Spirit: Jesus being God is Spirit. What is compared is Jesus' example of obedience to the Ten Commandments as more complete than the written Ten Commandments. To understand this comparison I will use the analogy of replacing a broken window. No doubt it is more complete to follow a professional installer's example than partially follow the instructions in a brief manual. The reason the old written law ends in death for Judaism is that they sabotaged God's law to not remove sin that Paul protects against by focusing on sin rather than obeying human law as Judaism did. Judaism obeyed the commandment of not misusing God's name by not pronouncing His name at all. This incomplete obedience skipped the law's purpose to remove sin from our character. They would have learned to use God's name without sinning had they done what God asked instead of replacing what God asked with their own "human effort" to obey that did not remove the sin that doing what God asked would have removed.

We are confident of all this because of our great trust in God through Christ (as the model "Spirit" to follow). It is not that we think we are qualified to do anything on our own (like excusing our disobedience of the Ten Commandments as coming from the Holy Spirit). Our qualification comes from God (sending us Jesus as the model "Spirit" to follow). He has enabled us to be ministers of his new covenant (Jesus as the model "Spirit" to follow). This is a covenant not of the letter (Ten Commandments), but of the Spirit (Jesus as the model "Spirit" to follow and not the Holy Spirit used as an excuse to disobey the Ten Commandments when Jesus obeyed them). The letter ends in death (sabotaged by Judaism to not remove sin); but the Spirit (Jesus as the model "Spirit" to follow) gives life (the removal of sin). The old way (God's "order" by the prophet Moses), with letters etched in stone (Ten Commandments), led to death (sabotaged by Judaism to not remove sin), though it began with such glory (leading to righteousness) that the people of Israel could not bear to look at Moses’ face. For his face shone with the glory of God (which is His righteousness expressed in the Ten Commandments), even though the brightness was already fading away (Judaism's unwillingness to obey "all" the Ten Commandments). Shouldn’t we expect far greater glory under the new way (Jesus as the model "Spirit" to follow), now that the Holy (added by the translators) Spirit (not the Holy Spirit but Jesus as the model "Spirit" to follow) gives life? If the old way (written letters etched in stone), which brings condemnation (Judaism not fully obeying "all" the Ten Commandments by replacing them with human "law"), was glorious (leading to righteousness), how much more glorious (leading to righteousness) is the new way (Jesus as the model "Spirit" to follow), which makes us right with God (removes sin)! In fact, that first glory (which led to righteousness) was not glorious at all compared with the overwhelming glory (leading to righteousness) of the new way (Jesus as the model "Spirit" to follow). So if the old way (written letters etched in stone), which has been replaced, was glorious (led to righteousness), how much more glorious (leading to righteousness) is the new (Jesus as the model "Spirit" to follow), which remains forever! Since this new way (of following the model "Spirit" of Jesus, rather than Judaism's human "law") gives us such confidence, we can be very bold (learning to use God's name properly, which Judaism does not). We are not like Moses, who put a veil over his face so the people of Israel would not see the glory (of God's righteousness), even though it was destined to fade away (by Judaism's unwillingness to obey all the Ten Commandments). But the people’s minds were hardened (to not obey all the Ten Commandments), and to this day whenever the old covenant is being read, the same veil covers their minds so they cannot understand the truth (of the failure of replacing God's Commandments with their own human law). And this veil can be removed only by believing in Christ (as the model "Spirit" to follow). Yes, even today when they read Moses’ writings, their hearts are covered with that veil, and they do not understand (they failed to obey all of God's Ten Commandments by substituting them with human "law"). But whenever someone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. For the Lord is the Spirit (Jesus is the model "Spirit" to follow who obeyed the Ten Commandments as our example and Paul is not referring to the Holy Spirit as an excuse to disobey the Ten Commandments), and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom (from sin and not from God's Ten Commandments). So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord (in obeying the Ten Commandments). And the Lord—who is the Spirit (Jesus is the model "Spirit" Paul is telling us to follow and not the Holy Spirit, whose job is to tell us things through prophets and remind us of Jesus as the model "Spirit" to follow)—makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image. (2 Corinthians 3:4-18 NLT fixed and overlaid with commentary)​

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bringing this around to the OP
"...this quote makes me concerned about the book's direction, Sabbath is the antithesis and answer to the darkness and void of creation..."

The Spirit can guide us in how the Sabbath is the answer to the darkness.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Bringing this around to the OP
"...this quote makes me concerned about the book's direction, Sabbath is the antithesis and answer to the darkness and void of creation..."

The Spirit can guide us in how the Sabbath is the answer to the darkness.
Not unless we follow scripture in both the OT and NT.

2Timothy 3: 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

All scripture. not only NT scripture. You seem to forget this and your claim is you don't have to keep the Sabbath so you make God out to argue with Himself. You also seem to forget that all the scripture Paul had was the OT so it's impossible for him to have believed the way you make him out to have taught unless you believe the HS to contradict scripture.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not unless we follow scripture in both the OT and NT.

2Timothy 3: 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Definitely! Keeping in mind that the letter of the law has been fulfilled. That's why we don't put literal tassels on our clothes

All scripture. not only NT scripture. You seem to forget this...
Not at all :)

...and your claim is you don't have to keep the Sabbath...
No, not the letters of the commandment, which has been fulfilled. But the principles, which I believe is what the thread is about, Yes.

...so you make God out to argue with Himself.
Not true. But I do think that God has made a new covenant. God doing new things is not him arguing with himself :heart:

You also seem to forget that all the scripture Paul had was the OT...
and the revelation that he received directly from God

...so it's impossible for him to have believed the way you make him out to have taught unless you believe the HS to contradict scripture.
Not at all. Though, it may contradict certain interpretations of scripture :heart:

Peace be with you, my man!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Definitely! Keeping in mind that the letter of the law has been fulfilled. That's why we don't put literal tassels on our clothes

Not at all :)

No, not the letters of the commandment, which has been fulfilled. But the principles, which I believe is what the thread is about, Yes.

Not true. But I do think that God has made a new covenant. God doing new things is not him arguing with himself :heart:

and the revelation that he received directly from God

Not at all. Though, it may contradict certain interpretations of scripture :heart:

Peace be with you, my man!
Yes it does contradict "certain interpretations" of scripture.. Your interpretations of scripture. Unfortunately you think sin is more powerful than God and that God has not made every possible provision to save mankind so that "whosoever will" will be made into His image here and now. Not just forgiven but changed into the same character Adam lost in the Garden of Eden. Into God's likeness.

Upvote 0

guevaraj

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟543,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
As I understand the scriptures, the Holy Spirit is also called the Spirit of Christ and the Spirit of God.
Brother, the Spirit of Christ is not the Holy Spirit but Jesus himself as the model "Spirit" for us to be doing likewise! God is Spirit: Jesus is a "Spirit" separate from the Holy Spirit. If we have Jesus' Spirit, we obey just like Jesus obeyed the current Eleven Commandments.

But you are not controlled by your sinful nature. You are controlled by the Spirit (Jesus) if you have the Spirit of God (Jesus) living in you. (And remember that those who do not have the Spirit of Christ (Jesus) living in them do not belong to him at all.) And Christ lives within you, so even though your body will die because of sin, the Spirit (Jesus) gives you life because you have been made right with God. The Spirit of God (Jesus), who raised Jesus from the dead (Jesus is the resurrection and the life, Jesus raised himself from the dead), lives in you. And just as God (Jesus) raised Christ Jesus from the dead, he will give life to your mortal bodies by this same Spirit (Jesus) living within you. (Romans 8:9-11 NLT)​

Paul tells us that the model "Spirit" we are to be doing likewise is Jesus and not the Holy Spirit as an excuse to disobey what Jesus obeyed for us to be doing likewise!

But whenever someone turns to the Lord, the veil (not knowing they were disobeying the Ten Commandments) is taken away. For the Lord is the Spirit (Jesus is the model "Spirit" to follow who obeyed properly the Ten Commandments as our example and Paul is not referring to the Holy Spirit as an excuse to disobey the Ten Commandments), and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom (from sin and not from God's Ten Commandments). So all of us who have had that veil (not knowing they were disobeying the Ten Commandments) removed can see and reflect the glory (character) of the Lord (in obeying the Ten Commandments). And the Lord—who is the Spirit (Jesus is the model "Spirit" Paul is telling us to follow and not the Holy Spirit, whose job is to tell us things through prophets and remind us of Jesus as the model "Spirit" to follow)—makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image. (2 Corinthians 3:16-18 NLT fixed and overlaid with commentary)​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes it does contradict "certain interpretations" of scripture.. Your interpretations of scripture.
The whole of the scriptures support my view.

Unfortunately you think sin is more powerful than God....
Not true.

..and that God has not made every possible provision to save mankind so that "whosoever will" will be made into His image here and now.
No, I believe the opposite of what you wrote

That's a God who is way bigger than sin.

Not just forgiven but changed into the same character Adam lost in the Garden of Eden. Into God's likeness.
Amen to being changed into the image of Christ!

If you really wish to continue discussing this with me, Gary my brother, let's go back to this thread where we were just discussing much the same thing

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Brother, the Spirit of Christ is not the Holy Spirit...
Well, that's where we read it differently.

Peace be with you, my brother!

...but Jesus himself as the model "Spirit" for us to be doing likewise! God is Spirit: Jesus is a "Spirit" separate from the Holy Spirit. If we have Jesus' Spirit, we obey just like Jesus obeyed the current Eleven Commandments.

But you are not controlled by your sinful nature. You are controlled by the Spirit (Jesus) if you have the Spirit of God (Jesus) living in you. (And remember that those who do not have the Spirit of Christ (Jesus) living in them do not belong to him at all.) And Christ lives within you, so even though your body will die because of sin, the Spirit (Jesus) gives you life because you have been made right with God. The Spirit of God (Jesus), who raised Jesus from the dead (Jesus is the resurrection and the life, Jesus raised himself from the dead), lives in you. And just as God (Jesus) raised Christ Jesus from the dead, he will give life to your mortal bodies by this same Spirit (Jesus) living within you. (Romans 8:9-11 NLT)​

Paul tells us that the model "Spirit" we are to be doing likewise is Jesus and not the Holy Spirit as an excuse to disobey what Jesus obeyed for us to be doing likewise!

But whenever someone turns to the Lord, the veil (not knowing they were disobeying the Ten Commandments) is taken away. For the Lord is the Spirit (Jesus is the model "Spirit" to follow who obeyed properly the Ten Commandments as our example and Paul is not referring to the Holy Spirit as an excuse to disobey the Ten Commandments), and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom (from sin and not from God's Ten Commandments). So all of us who have had that veil (not knowing they were disobeying the Ten Commandments) removed can see and reflect the glory (character) of the Lord (in obeying the Ten Commandments). And the Lord—who is the Spirit (Jesus is the model "Spirit" Paul is telling us to follow and not the Holy Spirit, whose job is to tell us things through prophets and remind us of Jesus as the model "Spirit" to follow)—makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image. (2 Corinthians 3:16-18 NLT fixed and overlaid with commentary)​

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The whole of the scriptures support my view.

Not true.

No, I believe the opposite of what you wrote

That's a God who is way bigger than sin.

Amen to being changed into the image of Christ!

If you really wish to continue discussing this with me, Gary my brother, let's go back to this thread where we were just discussing much the same thing
If you think it so great to be remade into the character of God why do you keep looking for loopholes to avoid keeping all 10 commandments?

Upvote 0