Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
so in which forum could they promote SSPX specific beliefs?
Surely if the site provides the "Whosoever Will" forum, as well as other Congregational forums for those who are in historical and open opposition to the Catholic Church, then logically there should be a place for a SSPX point of view?
Denomination-Specific Theology is probably the best place for now. If there were enough of them on this site, they could ask the higher ups to create a specific area for them. As it stands, I don't think we've ever had more than one SSPX person at once, and none in a long time.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
So this seems like the appropriate place. Any explanation why the SSPX never created an AntiPope to challenge the Vaticn II Popes legitimacy?
They say they still believe the Pope is the Pope, just that he is wrong about certain things.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Denomination-Specific Theology is probably the best place for now. If there were enough of them on this site, they could ask the higher ups to create a specific area for them. As it stands, I don't think we've ever had more than one SSPX person at once, and none in a long time.

you know what? If the founder of Cf had used that same logic CF itself would not exist.

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Generally, among the Catholic laity, what is the view of the SSPX? Are they even aware of the organization, if so do they really care it exists?

The Catholics I know wouldn't have a clue about what SSPX is .

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
SSPX people can post here, but they can't promote SSPX-specific beliefs. That rule has been in place for a long time. You can ask David, he'll tell you.
True.
They cant promote it - and have to avoid denying the Pope's rulings etc in and after Vat ll and henceforth.

Reactions: Tallguy88
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Some close aquaintances here [i had] were SSPX sympathizers and or SSPX closet followers.
They were able to sympathize with the SSPX - but couldnt argue against the Pope's.

Irony to me - is they believe they are orthodox [more Catholic than the Pope - har har :p]
And yet the whole following have breached the very law of Christ on the vicar of the church.
And i wonder - who is their Pope?
Ya have to have the authentic chair of Peter or it's playing church, if ya ask me. But they are in a place being unable to move forward without his chair.

Ok, off my soap box.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Funnily enough, I haven't kept copies of the local paper they published their rants in.
Does "they" represent the official stand of the SSPX or only the personal opinion of someone who happens to be a member? There is a big difference between the two. If it is the official position of the SSPX you would not have to search for an obscure local newspaper commentary to find it.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Some close aquaintances here [i had] were SSPX sympathizers and or SSPX closet followers.
They were able to sympathize with the SSPX - but couldnt argue against the Pope's.

Irony to me - is they believe they are orthodox [more Catholic than the Pope - har har :p]
And yet the whole following have breached the very law of Christ on the vicar of the church.
And i wonder - who is their Pope?
Ya have to have the authentic chair of Peter or it's playing church, if ya ask me. But they are in a place being unable to move forward without his chair.

Ok, off my soap box.
They mistakenly believe that Vatican II was a heretical document because of the heterodox Catholics who say things like, "The Church needs to move beyond Jesus and get with the times, with the spirit of Vatican II." Not all Catholics say this, but many do, especially in the West. But anyone who has actually read Vatican II knows that "the spirit of Vatican II" has almost nothing to do with what's actually written in Vatican II.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
But anyone who has actually read Vatican II knows that "the spirit of Vatican II" has almost nothing to do with what's actually written in Vatican II.

In 1967 Blessed Pope Paul VI said in a sermon to the Catholics of Istanbul , " The recent Vatican Council reminded us that this progress is based first of all on the renovation of the Church and on the conversion of the heart. This means that you will contribute to this progress toward unity in the measure in which you enter into the spirit of the council."

I'm all for the spirit of the Second Council of the Vatican .

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Does "they" represent the official stand of the SSPX or only the personal opinion of someone who happens to be a member? There is a big difference between the two. If it is the official position of the SSPX you would not have to search for an obscure local newspaper commentary to find it.
The opinion of the parish in question.

Upvote 0

IHOM

Jun 20, 2015
✟1,755.00
I have never had much to do with the sppx and i know very little about them. But i know some call the schismatic but i have heard others say that they are catholic but in imperfect communion with the church.... any clarification on this?

While i vatican 2 was not inteneded to be infallible i think pope benedict refered to it as a pastoral council. I too believe vatican 2 was required and part of Gods plan

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In 1967 Blessed Pope Paul VI said in a sermon to the Catholics of Istanbul , " The recent Vatican Council reminded us that this progress is based first of all on the renovation of the Church and on the conversion of the heart. This means that you will contribute to this progress toward unity in the measure in which you enter into the spirit of the council."

I'm all for the spirit of the Second Council of the Vatican.
Where exactly does that quote come from? Did you find it on the Vatican's website? And please address what I said about the common usage of the term "spirit of Vatican II." Also, in this Pope Paul VI CDF document (here) the Vatican lamented how people were misinterpreting and abusing Vatican II. So if Pope Paul VI did mention "the spirit of the council" it was not in the same way that it has come to be understood (misunderstood) in popular usage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Thirdly, in this Pope Paul VI CDF document (here) the Vatican lamented how people were misinterpreting and abusing Vatican II.
Seems quite specific in what it addresses.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
It shows that the Vatican recognized right away a problem that arose from people misinterpreting and abusing Vatican II.
But its a long way from suggesting that everyone accused of misinterpreting and abusing VII is actually doing so.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I never said that everyone has misinterpreted Vatican II.
And I didn't say you had.

I said "but its a long way from suggesting that everyone [who is] accused of misinterpreting and abusing VII is actually doing so".

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And I didn't say you had.

I said "but its a long way from suggesting that everyone [who is] accused of misinterpreting and abusing VII is actually doing so".
Okay, so it was unrelated to what I said.

Upvote 0