Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON

This thread has undergone a clean up for violations of the following rule:
Statement of Purpose and Off-Topic
Read and abide by each forum's Statement of Purpose; Statement of Purpose threads are sticky threads located at the top of the forum's page. Not all forums have a Statement of Purpose thread. Start threads that are relevant to that forum's stated purpose. Submit replies that are relevant to the topic of discussion.

Please stay on the topic of the thread. The thread is being reopened

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

justlookinla

Mar 31, 2014
✟20,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
MOD HAT ON

This thread has undergone a clean up for violations of the following rule:
Statement of Purpose and Off-Topic
Read and abide by each forum's Statement of Purpose; Statement of Purpose threads are sticky threads located at the top of the forum's page. Not all forums have a Statement of Purpose thread. Start threads that are relevant to that forum's stated purpose. Submit replies that are relevant to the topic of discussion.

Please stay on the topic of the thread. The thread is being reopened

MOD HAT OFF

I understand threads have a way of veering off topic and my question wasn't about who's right or who's wrong, but just the impact of the SSPX in the laity of the Catholic church. Seems that for the most part, there's little if any.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I understand threads have a way of veering off topic and my question wasn't about who's right or who's wrong, but just the impact of the SSPX in the laity of the Catholic church. Seems that for the most part, there's little if any.
For ordinary catholics, you are right. They are virtually unknown.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In the west, most Catholics are nominal and/or fallen away, the ones who believe that Catholicism is an identity born with instead of something to be believed. So traditional Catholicism is not very popular these days, and the relatively small number of SSPX Catholics or traditional Catholics in communion with Rome reflects that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I consider myself an average Catholic. I don't know everything about SSPX. But I know 2 things.
  1. They reject Vatican 2. Now I realize that some silly stuff has been done in the name of Vat 2 and even normal conservative Catholics kind of grit their teeth. But to outright reject the council? That goes to far. You don't get to do that as a Catholic.
  2. I know they harbor anti-Semites. Not all of them are anti-Semitic but they sure offer safe haven to them. I know that goes against Catholic teaching. As a Jew, I also take it as a personal threat.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
they only have 522 chapels across the entire world
with the USA and France being the only nations with over 100 chapels

so yeah, this is a not that important of a group
I mean there are 106 parishes JUST in the Diocese of Columbus
and central Ohio is not even that Catholic

I mean there are more Catholic Parishes in the State of New York then there are SSPX chapels in the entire world

now this does not mean we should be cruel to them
yes, they say horrible things about us sometimes
guess what
I have heard horrible things about Catholics from Baptists, Presbyterians, Methodists, Anglicans, Jews, Feminists, Atheists, Communists, Wiccans and Homosexuals
we still treat them with respect, we still try and have dialogue

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,288,670.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I forgot that the SSJK was a thing
thanks for reminding me
any reason you do not like the SSJK?
Don't often quote from Wiki - but I think this should answer that question

The Society now has close links with the Priestly Society of Saint Josaphat, led by Father Basil Kovpak, a priest formerly of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, who was definitively excommunicated from the Catholic Church in November 2007[42] after having Bishop Richard Williamson, then of the SSPX but expelled from the Society five years later,[43] illicitly ordain two priests and seven deacons for his society in violation of canons 1015 §1 and 1017 of the Code of Canon Law.

more about the SSJK can be found here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priestly_Society_of_Saint_Josaphat

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟428,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I consider myself an average Catholic. I don't know everything about SSPX. But I know 2 things.
  1. They reject Vatican 2. Now I realize that some silly stuff has been done in the name of Vat 2 and even normal conservative Catholics kind of grit their teeth. But to outright reject the council? That goes to far. You don't get to do that as a Catholic.
  2. I know they harbor anti-Semites. Not all of them are anti-Semitic but they sure offer safe haven to them. I know that goes against Catholic teaching. As a Jew, I also take it as a personal threat.
They have questionable beliefs that can go beyond the orthodox into aggressive zealousness that bares no reflection on the average orthodox Catholic.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟428,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
SSJK opposes the de-latinizations of the UGCC. The real issue with them is that they are having an excommunicated SSPX bishop ordain their priests, in direct protest to the valid hierarchy of the Catholic Church. If they had gone about this in a better way, I am guessing Patriarch Sviatoslav could have come to a compromise with them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Well, I'm Not dead. ;) My parish is SSPX and while I don't always agree with Msgr Fellay, it's not too bad. Our parish is a normal pre-Vatican II style parish full of regular Catholics trying to find a safe haven from the rampant Modernism in the Church. And while virtually no one will concur with me: that's ok. I gave up years ago trying to 'vindicate' us to you folks here in Obob. I just don't give a fig what the Modern Church thinks of us. We're just trying to save our souls; to heck with popularity and the prattling of the many moderns.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Well, I'm Not dead. ;) My parish is SSPX and while I don't always agree with Msgr Fellay, it's not too bad. Our parish is a normal pre-Vatican II style parish full of regular Catholics trying to find a safe haven from the rampant Modernism in the Church. And while virtually none of you will concur with me: that's ok. I gave up years ago trying to 'vindicate' us to you folks here in Obob. I just don't give a fig what the Modern Church thinks of us. We're just trying to save our souls; to heck with popularity and the prattling of the many moderns.
And you are comfortable with the anti-semitism that is allowed within SSPX?

Upvote 0