Should white people be forgiven for slavery?

mafwons

Hi guys
Feb 16, 2014
✟11,177.00
Faith
Non-Denom
White ancestors had slaves of black ancestors. Should the black people today forgive the white people today?

They have nothing to be forgiven for, my ancestors may have owned slaves, but I however did not. I cannot be held accountable for what happen over 100 years before I was even concieved. Slavery was wrong but the past cannot be undone. What does need to be done however is to end this game of racism that is being played at all levels in the black and white community, we all belong to the human race, color is nothing more than a genetic trait.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
White ancestors had slaves of black ancestors. Should the black people today forgive the white people today?

The last legal slave in the US is dead as is the last person to legally own one, it's too late for them to forgive each other if they had not done so.

Upvote 0

Hank

has the Right to be wrong
May 28, 2002
Toronto
✟16,926.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I'm white, so I can't answer that question.

If you want to forgive, forgive. If you don't want to forgive, keep in mind that the slave trade is thousands of years old. Guess you hunted 'good' slaves and sold them to Arab, Roman, Indian, European and American buyers?

Upvote 0

quigonj

Mar 22, 2015
✟15,145.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Even if we count the Bibles putting sin on children to the fourth generation, then that would be 80-100 years, not 150 years. For many years, as a Southerner, I was taught it was all my fault somehow. Turns out none of my ancestors owned slaves (only a quarter of Southerners did, even at its height), but my great grandfather was an adjutant general and Lt. Col. fighting for the New Jersey regiments.

To answer the question, no, whites should not be placed in a position to apologize for their forebears actions, especially not to the degree the media asks of us. I'm almost 50, and schools were desegregated and the Jim Crow laws struck before I was born, so I won't apologize for those either. I can feel bad it happened, but all I can do is promise not to do that myself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married

There's nothing to forgive. Only those responsible should be held accountable. Not to mention there are a very large amount of white people out there whose ancestors never owned slaves. If people hate white people because some of them had ancestors that owned slaves- that's racism.

Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What is there to forgive of individuals of today?
Slavery ending well over a hundred years ago.

It was the ending of an institution and the beginning of another.

While slavery ending long ago, many of us lived through and remember the harsh really that extended into the middle of the last century. There are personal and second hand stories from parents, grandparents, and friends. History that many want to forget or ignore. .. or white wash.

I don't believe any individual should carry the burden of actions for which they did not commit. Being white, descendants of slave holders or not, should not be a call for an apology.

The usa government, on the other hand, has a repeated history of doing a horrible job repairing and giving reparation to groups unjustly treated in its borders. They, the government hierarchy, are mostly dead and buried. Forgiving dead officials is a bit harder to do.

Should I forgive the bigoted people in my personal life?
I suppose. My grandmothers were a product of their experiences and time. My former in laws where sheltered elitists who lacked tack or any real understanding that they were racists. Not slavery, but bigotry. My understanding of their human behavior is much more rewarding than any thought of prolonged animosity.

I know some of my ancestors were slaves. Some of my ancestors were probably slave holders or involved in the industry. It is what it was.

I see it as ridiculous to harbor and direct some expectation of guilt or forgiveness when dealing with someone that is not responsible for other people's actions.

Upvote 0

Section10

Jun 22, 2011
✟7,774.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The internet says between 21 and 36 million people are in some form of slavery in the world today. That sounds like a lot. I'm sure some of them are in America. It sounds nice to be against slavery, but wouldn't you think that if it were really an engaging passion slavery would cease to exist. It's illegal, but lots of illegal things still go on just because most people aren't that concerned with getting involved.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,066,794.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him. - Ezekiel 18:20

Somehow or another people need to get away from stereotyping. People do not choose which hide they are born in. If you get some poor kid that is born in a dysfunctional home what do you propose to do... Roast the guy because of something his forefather did? In which he had no control over? Every race has its share of evil and virtue. You cannot hold people accountable for something their kinfolk may have done.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Should you be forgiven for the sins of Adam and Eve?

If I never sinned myself, I'd not be burdened with the sins of Adam & Eve. Unfortunately, every person actually does sin for themselves and that is the sin they need to be forgiven for.

I know my ancestry...we never owned a black slaves. Actually part of my lineage was very ant-slavery in a time when it was acceptable to own slaves. Do I still need to be forgiven just because I am white?

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Slavery still exists in America today, we have traded physical slavery for economic slavery...

The uneducated and those too dumb to make it through High School, let alone College, are the slaves of today...

The only difference is we've traded "racial" slavery and discrimination, for "intellectual" slavery and discrimination

God Bless!

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I know for a fact that my family owned slaves. I know that several members of my family fought for the Confederacy, as I would have.

Honestly, if somebody "forgave" me for that, I'd just laugh.

Yes, slavery is wrong, but to "forgive" somebody who didn't actually take part in the slavery is silly.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Slavery still exists in America today, we have traded physical slavery for economic slavery...

The uneducated and those too dumb to make it through High School, let alone College, are the slaves of today...

The only difference is we've traded "racial" slavery and discrimination, for "intellectual" slavery and discrimination

God Bless!

Physical slavery may not exist anymore, but discrimination against minorities is still alive and well in this country. Excellent post, by the way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0