Should white people be forgiven for slavery?

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
They have nothing to be forgiven for, my ancestors may have owned slaves, but I however did not. I cannot be held accountable for what happen over 100 years before I was even concieved.

And yet, you have a Christian icon. The very crux of the faith is that man is fallen because the first humans sinned. That happened long before you were born.

Upvote 0

True Scotsman

Objectivist
Jul 26, 2014
✟16,557.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
White ancestors had slaves of black ancestors. Should the black people today forgive the white people today?
What are you talking about? None of the people living today are responsible for what happened 150 years ago. I didn't take any part in slavery, even though I'm sure some of my ancestors owned slaves. I don't need to be forgiven for something I had no part in.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Think of original sin like a disease. You suffer the effects, death, sickness, etc. But actual personal sin is only held against the person that committed it.

Thanks. I'm familiar with the doctrine. ;)

Upvote 0

BeforeThereWas

Seasoned Warrior
Mar 14, 2005
Midwest City, OK
✟10,560.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The apples to oranges comparison between Adam's sin being perpetually passed on, and the sins of a few who enslaved others, leaves much to be desired in the arena of intellectual thought. I remain unconvinced I owe blacks anything apart from the debt of love. Being red, I've long since gotten over what was done to my people long ago. I don't look to white men to hand me anything for what they had never had a part. Live and let live, but SOME blacks have chosen to live as if they are still suffering the effects. Never mind that some of them wallow in their poverty because they're too lazy to go out and make life happen.

BTW

Upvote 0

GlockMeister

Aug 18, 2015
✟15,813.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The apples to oranges comparison between Adam's sin being perpetually passed on, and the sins of a few who enslaved others, leaves much to be desired in the arena of intellectual thought. I remain unconvinced I owe blacks anything apart from the debt of love. Being red, I've long since gotten over what was done to my people long ago. I don't look to white men to hand me anything for what they had never had a part. Live and let live, but SOME blacks have chosen to live as if they are still suffering the effects. Never mind that some of them wallow in their poverty because they're too lazy to go out and make life happen.

BTW

Exactly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The apples to oranges comparison between Adam's sin being perpetually passed on, and the sins of a few who enslaved others, leaves much to be desired in the arena of intellectual thought.

I'm sorry, but I do not see how the two aren't exactly the same thing in principle.

Upvote 0

BeforeThereWas

Seasoned Warrior
Mar 14, 2005
Midwest City, OK
✟10,560.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm sorry, but I do not see how the two aren't exactly the same thing in principle.

Principles are purely subjective attributes when looking at two or more phenomenon. You say that what we inherited from Adam is the same as inheriting the sin of enslavement.

To date, I haven't seen you defend your conclusion in any convincing manner, so what's your premises? I've seen your conclusion (with which I disagree), but not any of your premises.

BTW

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Principles are purely subjective attributes when looking at two or more phenomenon. You say that what we inherited from Adam is the same as inheriting the sin of enslavement.

To date, I haven't seen you defend your conclusion in any convincing manner, so what's your premises? I've seen your conclusion (with which I disagree), but not any of your premises.

BTW

mafwons said:

I cannot be held accountable for what happen over 100 years before I was even concieved.

I said [paraphrase] "And yet, this is exactly the basis for original sin in Christianity." The question begged is: How can you be exempt from something someone else did that happened 100 years before you were even conceived and not be exempt from something someone else did thousands of years before you were conceived?

It's.. literally the same thing.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I said [paraphrase] "And yet, this is exactly the basis for original sin in Christianity." The question begged is: How can you be exempt from something someone else did that happened 100 years before you were even conceived and not be exempt from something someone else did thousands of years before you were conceived?

It's.. literally the same thing.

It is exactly the same thing, no matter how they try to spin it. I don't know how many times I heard that when I was still in the Christian church.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
White ancestors had slaves of black ancestors. Should the black people today forgive the white people today?

Why not blame the black ones, I mean the mixed? My grand grand grand dad or something was a Jewish plantage owner in Brazil who married his slave. Lol blame me for it if you like, I have some black family members too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I think this article fits with the OP and subject of this thread. The article was brought to my attention in an online community that I am a member of.

Noam Chomsky: Slavery and White Fear of Revenge 'Deeply Rooted in American Culture'

Excerpted from the article...

Chomsky looks at the roots of American racism and genocide....

The refusal to acknowledge this history of oppression, violence and genocide may be the most disturbing and terrible tendency of America’s dominant culture. “Perhaps the most appalling contemporary myth is that none of this happened,” said Chomsky. He added:

“There is also a common variant of what has sometimes been called 'intentional ignorance' of what it is inconvenient to know: 'Yes, bad things happened in the past, but let us put all of that behind us and march on to a glorious future, all sharing equally in the rights and opportunities of citizenry.' The appalling statistics of today’s circumstances of African-American life can be confronted by other bitter residues of a shameful past, laments about black cultural inferiority, or worse, forgetting how our wealth and privilege was created in no small part by the centuries of torture and degradation of which we are the beneficiaries and they remain the victims.”

Dr. King seems to agree with Mr. Chomsky.

11081200_355064678024625_1493852370745562325_n.jpg

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟176,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is exactly the same thing, no matter how they try to spin it. I don't know how many times I heard that when I was still in the Christian church.

Actually, no. In Orthodoxy- we don't hold to a concept of people inheriting a sinful nature and we don't share in Adam's sin. However- we all experience the consequence of original sin- which is death. We had death through Adam but life through Christ.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Actually, no. In Orthodoxy- we don't hold to a concept of people inheriting a sinful nature and we don't share in Adam's sin. However- we all experience the consequence of original sin- which is death. We had death through Adam but life through Christ.

In the various Protestant churches I have attended over the years, that is what I heard from the pulpit and from various other Christian circles. All of humanity, since Adam and Eve, are supposedly born in sin because Adam and Eve sinned against God in the Garden of Eden. I know I am stating the obvious, but the Christian church really is divided over what it believes and what it does not believe. It is confusing, to say the very least.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
In the various Protestant churches I have attended over the years, that is what I heard from the pulpit and from various other Christian circles. All of humanity, since Adam and Eve, are supposedly born in sin because Adam and Eve sinned against God in the Garden of Eden. I know I am stating the obvious, but the Christian church really is divided over what it believes and what it does not believe. It is confusing, to say the very least.

It isn't confusing. You'll just notice lots of mental gymnastics and twisting of words and meanings to try to justify a basically unjustifiable stance.

Reactions: Red Fox
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟176,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married

The Church isn't divided at all. Communion means everything to us- and it is literal. You've got the Church that existed from the beginning still doing its thing- and then you've got heterodox groups that went their own way because they didn't like or believe the same as the Church. America is a heterodox nation.

Upvote 0