Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
There is no link to actual tests in your article, it only talks about allowed limits in the USA.

Also, the author of the article seems to be mistaken, I have not found his claim in the source he linked. In cattle, the allowed limit is 5, in poultry 0.1, in eggs 0.05, in sheep 5. It compares to limits allowed for carrots. However, for grain its 100, for oilseeds 40, for example.
This is his source: Federal Register :: Request Access

In any case, after my personal experience, I would strongly recommend buying bio products, only.

For some grains, such as oats, I try to only buy organic (what we call "Bio" in the US). This is due to the fact that they can contain quite a bit of glyphosate residue. However, it's out of an abundance of caution, and due to the way glyphosate is used in making oats in some colder climates, it can contain more glyphosate residue than is typical for other cereal crops. There is some evidence that excessive glyphosate consumption can result in alterations to the gut microbiome and get rid of friendly microorganisms.

Using glyphosate to dry oats, I believe, is only allowed in North America. European oats aren't dried with herbicides prior to harvest.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,655.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For some grains, such as oats, I try to only buy organic (what we call "Bio" in the US). This is due to the fact that they can contain quite a bit of glyphosate residue. However, it's out of an abundance of caution, and due to the way glyphosate is used in making oats in some colder climates, it can contain more glyphosate residue than is typical for other cereal crops. There is some evidence that excessive glyphosate consumption can result in alterations to the gut microbiome and get rid of friendly microorganisms.

Using glyphosate to dry oats, I believe, is only allowed in North America. European oats aren't dried with herbicides prior to harvest.
Generally, I think that the regulations in the EU are better, however, in the last years, I have been having reactions to more and more non-bio plant products. Not so much to bio ones. So, either I have become more sensitive to the toxins or the products here simply got worse.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Generally, I think that the regulations in the EU are better, however, in the last years, I have been having reactions to more and more non-bio plant products. Not so much to bio ones. So, either I have become more sensitive to the toxins or the products here simply got worse.

Generally, a person cannot perceive pesticides or other pollutants contamination in products unless the levels are quite high and obviously unsafe.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,655.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Generally, a person cannot perceive pesticides or other pollutants contamination in products unless the levels are quite high and obviously unsafe.
I do not know if its pesticides or something else, but after chewing many non-bio fruit/veggies I feel burning in mouth and a sore throat. Not happening with bio ones.

I do not think you are right. People who for example are picking strawberries in the field report their hands to be burning. Of course a person can perceive these chemicals. Like we can perceive natural defensive chemicals of plants or allergens.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,300.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I do not know if its pesticides or something else, but after chewing many non-bio fruit/veggies I feel burning in mouth and a sore throat. Not happening with bio ones.

I do not think you are right. People who for example are picking strawberries in the field report their hands to be burning. Of course a person can perceive these chemicals. Like we can perceive natural defensive chemicals of plants or allergens.

The symptoms can also be from natural toxins in the plants themselves.

I've experienced these symptoms from gathering and eating wild plants raw though my body eventually adapted and I'm no longer experiencing any symptoms.

Toxin levels in plants change according to the seasons and I think it's the plant's stress response from the environment. Organic/bio farming is probably less stressful to the plants, causes their toxin levels to drop so you're not getting symptoms.

You're probably extremely sensitive or allergic to natural plant toxins. You should probably stay away from fruits and veggies.

Yet I'm only saying this for you. Me and my close relatives never get these symptoms from eating store-bought fruits and veggies. I have experienced those symptoms because for a time, I was eating wild plants. Plants not normally considered as food or at least, palatable.

The gut bacteria will have a significant effect to your resistance or ability to metabolize toxins from plants. Since I never take any meds, no antibiotics even when I have big wounds, on low meat diet, my gut bacteria would be considerably different from yours and probably why I have no reactions to plant toxins.

Upvote 0