Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Why oh why would an atheist see "degrees" in religion?

Because being an atheist doesn't mean that you're an oblivious moron consigned to describing people in overly-simplistic binary ways.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Because being an atheist doesn't mean that you're an oblivious moron consigned to describing people in overly-simplistic binary ways.
Okay, I don't think I deserve that because I've never for a moment suggested such a thing about atheists. It was a question, that's all.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But "ISIS" isn't a community, is it? And it doesn't exist in Europe or the US as a community. So if you're asking whether I'd feel safer around a Muslim or Amish community, I really couldn't choose.

Well, then for the purposes of this discussion, replace "ISIS" with "Westboro Baptist Church"

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's not a religion or a community either. Aren't there only about 20 of them.

Are you intentionally dodging the point with semantics? :)

The point being made by Sam Harris was, in terms of what dangers religions can present to society, not all religious groups are equal.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Are you intentionally dodging the point with semantics? :)
I'm being a pedant. It's my go to position.
The point being made by Sam Harris was, in terms of what dangers religions can present to society, not all religious groups are equal.
I just find it interesting, because if I were an atheist, I think I would just not want to hear anything about any religions, and would find them equally abhorrent.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
...because if I were an atheist, I think I would just not want to hear anything about any religions, and would find them equally abhorrent.

Not wanting to hear about them is one thing...however, claiming they're all on level playing field in terms of danger is another.

So, you're saying that if you were an Atheist, you'd find the FDLS and the Taoism equally abhorrent?

Keeping in mind that Taoists promote simplicity, peace, moderation, and humility...
As opposed to the FDLS which promotes taking numerous child brides and corporal punishment of wives...

Upvote 0

MerlinJ

Feb 11, 2014
✟9,268.00
Faith
Atheist
I just find it interesting, because if I were an atheist, I think I would just not want to hear anything about any religions, and would find them equally abhorrent.
Speaking for myself, I believe all gods are equally non-existent, however I recognize that different beliefs have different consequences.

I haven't seen either movie yet, but reviews seem to greatly favor Straight Outta Compton.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Okay, I don't think I deserve that because I've never for a moment suggested such a thing about atheists. It was a question, that's all.

If you weren't saying that about atheists, who were you saying it about? Yourself?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Not wanting to hear about them is one thing...however, claiming they're all on level playing field in terms of danger is another.

So, you're saying that if you were an Atheist, you'd find the FDLS and the Taoism equally abhorrent?

Keeping in mind that Taoists promote simplicity, peace, moderation, and humility...
As opposed to the FDLS which promotes taking numerous child brides and corporal punishment of wives...
I get it, thanks. I hadn't thought about it before, that's all.

Upvote 0

Bible Page

White Lives Matter! ALL Lives Matter!
Sep 22, 2015
✟952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So are many real atheists. Dawkins for example.
I thought Dawkins came down recently on the side of Christianity.

There's a difference between being against religion and being the sort of person who's emotionally abusive to his wife, would try to force everyone in his classroom to admit that God doesn't exist under pain of failure, and would waste valuable class time over a pointless debate. I don't agree with everything Dawkin's says, but he's not the two dimensional stereotype in this film.
I watched God's Not Dead. I think the Sorbo character was designed to embody the worst cliche' of atheist since he had formerly been a Christian and then lapsed.

Also I would hope any Christian movie has a better chance at the box office against a thug rap movie with regards to Christian audiences.

And how ISIS came into this discussion is beyond me. Can we stop that now?

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That's just you. I find mythology quite interesting as do many other atheists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

No, they're equally false. But there are differences in false things, like the dangers of not stepping on cracks compared to the dangers of astrology compared to the dangers of anti-vaxxers compared to the dangers of snake-handling.

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
That's just you. I find mythology quite interesting as do many other atheists.
Okay, I know, and I acknowledged my lack of knowledge and thanked everyone who explained otherwise. So thank you for explaining otherwise.

Reactions: Bible Page
Upvote 0

Bible Page

White Lives Matter! ALL Lives Matter!
Sep 22, 2015
✟952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Glorifying murdering gang banging drug dealing harlot running thugs is something Christians applaud? Are you serious?
"Doctor" Dre is a violent brutal woman beating piece of trash! This movie glossed over all their evils to make them look like victims of the white police in California. Ice Tea, EZ E, who died of AIDS after spreading the virus to countless women victims.
And there are people here arguing it rightly overcame a Christian movie that focuses on the prayers that go up to protect people from trash like what's being glorified in SooC?

Pathetic! Those thugs should all be in prison. Instead they're driving Bently's, living in mansions, and in the case of Snoop Dog, at least as of a few years ago, still running game in the streets.

White people are desperate to uphold black idols aren't they? God help us.

Upvote 0