✟2,498.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Old news but very encouraging actually.

Shocker: Christian-based ‘War Room’ knocks off ‘Straight Outta Compton’
Dan Taylor, MorningTicker | September 06, 2015

A faith-based movie has knocked off the NWA biopic “Straight Outta Compton” off its No. 1 perch at the box office this labor day weekend.

“War Room was actually in its second weekend in theaters, and it will bag a total of $9.35 million over the three-day weekend — not an earth-shattering haul, but still better than former No. 1 Straight Outta Compton, which took $8.85 million, according to a Business Insider report.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Seriously. I think that's a great testament to how good this is.

It's a testament to marketing and knowing how to serve a formula to a target audience.

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I was referring to the OP report.

I know. But the OP claims this is a "Shocker," when it really isn't. Compton had been out for 3 weeks when it was dethroned - few movies spend that long at #1. Not even Jurassic World was #1 for 3 weeks, despite it being far-and-away the highest grossing film of the year.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekly/

Nothing about this is a "Shocker" to anybody who knows anything about film revenues. The Kendrick brothers have produced successful films in the past, with Fireproof and Courageous each grossing over $30M, so that another film of theirs makes money while targeting the same audience with the same subject matter (as Fireproof) should not surprise anyone.

It doesn't mean the movie is good; it just means that people will pay to see it. Heck, how many people thought Jurassic World was good?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I mean, it's doing well for an overtly evangelical film, and reaching #1 is quite a mark, but in general the comparison to Straight Outta Compton is a bit premature. Boxofficemojo has the stats for the year.

13 Straight Outta Compton Uni. $158,859,240
35 War Room TriS $49,054,653

Upvote 0

heatedmonk

Salvations Math: 3 Nails + 1 Cross= 4 Given
Sep 20, 2015
✟2,498.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I very much enjoyed God's Not Dead.That was a great film in my opinion. And though I've not been a fan of Kevin Sorbo he was very good as the antagonist in his role.

I highly recommend another film now on DVD. "Do You Believe". Very emotional film and very well done. Seattle Seahawks former player, Brian Bosworth stars . As does Lee "The Six Million Dollar Man" Majors. And Cybil Shepard. Among other notables. Bring tissues though it's very good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

heatedmonk

Sep 20, 2015
✟2,498.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, we get your point. Thank you.

I know. But the OP claims this is a "Shocker," when it really isn't. Compton had been out for 3 weeks when it was dethroned - few movies spend that long at #1. Not even Jurassic World was #1 for 3 weeks, despite it being far-and-away the highest grossing film of the year.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekly/

Nothing about this is a "Shocker" to anybody who knows anything about film revenues. The Kendrick brothers have produced successful films in the past, with Fireproof and Courageous each grossing over $30M, so that another film of theirs makes money while targeting the same audience with the same subject matter (as Fireproof) should not surprise anyone.

It doesn't mean the movie is good; it just means that people will pay to see it. Heck, how many people thought Jurassic World was good?

Reactions: Bible Page
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I very much enjoyed God's Not Dead.That was a great film in my opinion. And though I've not been a fan of Kevin Sorbo he was very good as the antagonist in his role.

I highly recommend another film now on DVD. "Do You Believe". Very emotional film and very well done. Seattle Seahawks former player, Brian Bosworth stars . As does Lee "The Six Million Dollar Man" Majors. And Cybil Shepard. Among other notables. Bring tissues though it's very good.

47b20s0.gif

i GOTTA see this!!!!

Reactions: Bible Page
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I mean, it's doing well for an overtly evangelical film, and reaching #1 is quite a mark, but in general the comparison to Straight Outta Compton is a bit premature. Boxofficemojo has the stats for the year.

13 Straight Outta Compton Uni. $158,859,240
35 War Room TriS $49,054,653

I don't think it's that surprising at all that an evangelical-based film would do well in a country that has a large number of evangelicals...I would say that the Passion of the Christ movie was overtly evangelical, and that was a huge financial success.

Upvote 0

heatedmonk

Sep 20, 2015
✟2,498.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I loved Passion of the Christ. Very well made movie. We have the DVD as well and the sound track that features in parts the voice of Lisa Gerrard. Astonishing range she has. Beautiful voice and perfect for that film in my opinion.

Upvote 0